Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I did a search but couldn't find my answer. Does anyone know if the "Find my iPhone" feature offers live updating or is it a "snapshot" of where that phone is at that time?

On a couple occasions, some city streets are closed for events and the GPS in the car is not helpful in those situations. If my wife calls me needing directions, will I be able to see her location in real-time or will I have to constantly update that page?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's not designed for real-time tracking. I would imagine you would have to keep refreshing the page. For it to be real-time, it would need a constant connection to Apple's location servers, which it doesn't do for obvious reasons (design, battery life, performance, etc).

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
It's not designed for real-time tracking. I would imagine you would have to keep refreshing the page. For it to be real-time, it would need a constant connection to Apple's location servers, which it doesn't do for obvious reasons (design, battery life, performance, etc).

That's what I thought, but obviously the "Find..." service has a way to turn on the GPS remotely. I highly doubt Apple will keep it on by default.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
That's what I thought, but obviously the "Find..." service has a way to turn on the GPS remotely. I highly doubt Apple will keep it on by default.

Find My iPhone uses the location services that are already configured and turned on by default in firmware 3.0.

A thief could easily disable location services in the iPhone's general settings tab, and the service wouldn't work.

It doesn't turn any feature on remotely.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

I'm fairly certain it doesn't use GPS, just cell tower triangulation and skyhook. It never gives you a dot, only a circle with not such great accuracy.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I'm fairly certain it doesn't use GPS, just cell tower triangulation and skyhook. It never gives you a dot, only a circle with not such great accuracy.

So this would even work with the 2G? Other than giving me a general idea (left it at dad's, in-laws, etc) I fail to see the point of giving me a 10-mile radius.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I did a search but couldn't find my answer. Does anyone know if the "Find my iPhone" feature offers live updating or is it a "snapshot" of where that phone is at that time?
As mentioned, it's not only not live, but you need to keep logging into me.com every 15 minutes to access that area of it. At best, you can get an update every couple of minutes, since it "refines" the location for over a minute, at least as far as I can tell, every time you ask it (or at least nearly every time).
That might be for privacy reasons. I've seen a circle with a radius that couldn't have been much more than 100', if that. I think, if there's a GPS, it uses it. But I could be wrong.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
So this would even work with the 2G? Other than giving me a general idea (left it at dad's, in-laws, etc) I fail to see the point of giving me a 10-mile radius.

It's not a 10 mile radius. You don't give triangulation enough credit. This is a screenshot of mine:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    131 KB · Views: 455

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
It's not a 10 mile radius. You don't give triangulation enough credit. This is a screenshot of mine:

I don't live in a large metro area. On my wife's 2G, google maps gives us a 10-mile radius, since there is only one tower in the area.

I found: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/whats-new/

It does use the towers. Unfortunately, won't help mush as neither my parents nor my in-laws have that great an AT&T (or anything for that matter) signal.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Find my iPhone is precise enough to let you realize that you left your phone at a restaurant or at a friends. It is not precise enough to find the guy that stole your iPhone and kick in his door. It's not designed to be a tracking device so you can't put it in your spouses car and track them.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Thanks.

Find my iPhone is precise enough to let you realize that you left your phone at a restaurant or at a friends. It is not precise enough to find the guy that stole your iPhone and kick in his door. It's not designed to be a tracking device so you can't put it in your spouses car and track them.

I have no intention of tracking my wife. In fact, I can't get her to stop texting me with her every location. Thank God for unlimited text plans. :)

Was watching an episode of L&O and the question just popped in my head. I appreciate everyone's help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.