Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Layar' Shows Augmented Reality Possibilities on iPhone 3G S

A new augmented reality app called Layar is making the rounds on the web as an example of what can be done with Augmented Reality. Layer (via 9to5Mac) is described as the world's first mobile augmented reailty browser.
Quote:
Layar shows you what is around you by displaying realtime digital information on top of reality through the camera of the mobile phone. Just flip through the directory of layers and find ATM's, bars, houses for sale, hotels and other cool stuff around you.
The app accomplishes this through the use of the Compass, camera and GPS embedded within the phone. The developer's video shows it running:

Article Link: 'Layar' Shows Augmented Reality Possibilities on iPhone 3G S

The app is first available for the Android devices but they are working hard on porting it to other platforms "with a prime focus on the iPhone 3G S.". The iPhone 3G S is the first Apple iPhone to contain a digital compass which is required for such applications.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
clayj
macrumors 604

Wiliam Gibson strikes again: He talked about just this sort of thing in his most recent novel, Spook Country, although in the book his characters wear VR helmets that are GPS-enabled to know where the wearer is and what they are looking at. (He also covered this territory back in 1993, in Virtual Light. There it was VR sunglasses that contain geospatially-tagged information.)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
carfac
macrumors 65816

That is so cool. Are they making a version for the Pre?
carfac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
needsomecoffee
macrumors newbie

Yep

Yep, a new level will soon be reached re: value of a mobile computer (aka iPhone, etc.)
needsomecoffee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Josso
macrumors member

Slick!

I'm definitely going to buy the 3GS. (Don't have any iPhone)
Josso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:01 PM   #6
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

Pull this off and I'll be mighty impressed. Let's hope it's not vaporware.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:04 PM   #7
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a

What's the point?

Alright, it's a cool demonstration of what technology can do, but who in their right minds would use something like this?

So you lift up your phone, and look at the world through your camera lens, so it can tell you what each building is, even though there are signs that say it anyway?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems, pointless.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Fluffy Bunny
macrumors regular

Where are all the folks who were saying "whoop tee doo, a compass"?

This looks very cool. Things like information about hotel vacancy, room rates, real estate, restaurant menus, bus schedules. Great for larger cities.
Fluffy Bunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:06 PM   #9
H$R
macrumors 6502

This will come some day soon hopefully.
Maybe it will be the selling point for the next iPhone next year Built right into Google Maps!
Red iPod Nano G2
H$R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:07 PM   #10
MvdM
macrumors regular

Lol, getting laid with Layar. This was all very close to Amsterdam's Red Light District. Next feature : find me a blond haired hooker that offers full service for a max price of €50.
MvdM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:08 PM   #11
H$R
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
Alright, it's a cool demonstration of what technology can do, but who in their right minds would use something like this?

So you lift up your phone, and look at the world through your camera lens, so it can tell you what each building is, even though there are signs that say it anyway?

It's just a nice gimmick. It's just one layer more of information. You could point onto a building and it tells you when it was built or what's in there and so on.

Or for the army: you point on a building and it tells you if it's in a special zone or what the targets might be there. I think it could make life easier.

Why google maps on your phone when you could just as easily take a map with you?
Red iPod Nano G2
H$R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Tubink
macrumors regular

Quote:

Someone looking for a new apartment, maybe? Who in their right minds would use all of the fart apps?
Tubink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:10 PM   #13
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Bunny View Post
Where are all the folks who were saying "whoop tee doo, a compass"?

This looks very cool. Things like information about hotel vacancy, room rates, real estate, restaurant menus, bus schedules. Great for larger cities.
A lot of people were judging the value of the compass by the compass app, not that other apps could leverage it. Why can no one ever see the big picture, particularly whoever my boss is at the time.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:11 PM   #14
dazcox5181
macrumors regular

I have wikitude on my Htc magic which does same thing, great its coming for iphone too, shame though now I need something else to show off with
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:14 PM   #15
leandromp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubink View Post
Someone looking for a new apartment, maybe? Who in their right minds would use all of the fart apps?
lol, so true!
Love that video, Glad to hear their working for the iPhone version. Can't wait! .
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:16 PM   #16
clayj
macrumors 604

For those who are pooh-poohing this sort of thing, there are lots of good examples of how it could be used in a very cool way. Here's one example:

Imagine walking around museum. You see the paintings on the walls, and they have basic info like who the artist was and the title of the work. But then point your iPhone at the painting and click the "Get Info" button in your geospatially-aware browser. The browser checks your coordinates, determines that you're in the Louvre, figures out what painting you're looking at, and then displays detailed information, including (possibly) voice narration delivered through your headphones.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:16 PM   #17
Tears Apart
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayj View Post
Wiliam Gibson strikes again: He talked about just this sort of thing in his most recent novel, Spook Country, although in the book his characters wear VR helmets that are GPS-enabled to know where the wearer is and what they are looking at. (He also covered this territory back in 1993, in Virtual Light. There it was VR sunglasses that contain geospatially-tagged information.)
Helmets are way out of fashion: shall we skip them and apply this technology directly to common glasses? Charles Stross not so exciting "Halting State" brings Gibson take on VR to the extreme - and as Gibson does in his latest novels - ties it to existing technologies. A revolution upon the way we look at things. Hope Apple will ride that!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:17 PM   #18
HiRez
macrumors 601

On Apple's 3G S demo video, they show the compass with an accuracy range. I think it varies, but it looked like maybe at least 15°-20° IIRC. Wouldn't you need better accuracy than that if you're going to be overlaying data on things as you spin around?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:17 PM   #19
toomuchrock
macrumors member

Quote:

I'd definitely use it. How about an architectural walking tour of a city? It knows where you are and plays the appropriate sound file as an intro. You point it at a building and it tells you information about it. Same could be done by pointing your phone at the skies -- "What is that constellation and what stars is it made up of?"
toomuchrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Not until it's beamed into my occipital lobe.

Eden of the East style acceptable for now and for safety reasons.

Quote:
Fry: So you're telling me they broadcast commercials into people's dreams?
Leela: Of course.
Fry: But, how is that possible?
Prof. Farnsworth: It's very simple. The ad gets into your brain just like this liquid gets into this egg.
(He holds up an egg and injects it with liquid. The egg explodes, covering him and Leela in yolk.)
Prof. Farnsworth: Although, in reality, it's not liquid, but gamma radiation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	higashi6-01.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	176455  

Last edited by Eidorian; Jun 16, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:20 PM   #21
Nocaster
macrumors regular

want
Nocaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:23 PM   #22
toomuchrock
macrumors member

Oh oh and man how cool is it that you could point it at a building and know who is in it? Dodgeball Foursquare Brightkite etc... You could track your friends real time with the new digital compass. I'm looking forward to it. No longer texting to say 'I'm here, where are you? Umm I don't see you?'
toomuchrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:24 PM   #23
themoonisdown09
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfac View Post
That is so cool. Are they making a version for the Pre?
The current Pre does not have a built-in compass, so therefore, it will not be able to run this app until it does.
themoonisdown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:26 PM   #24
tufaw
macrumors member

I want something along the lines of 10 seconds ago instead (link is to pro version, can't find regular one in US store). Delay the audio and do something funky with the video, that'd be great!
tufaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:28 PM   #25
troller
macrumors regular

reality browser ?

ok so a reality browser ? sounds cool !
troller is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion