Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
This is indeed a good solution, but it doesn't quite work with the BestBuy/DigitalRiver issue, and here's why:

The way their system is set up, you don't automatically get access to downloading the game/zip file mentioned below. You start by receiving a "downloader/download manager" program, which you then use to download the software itself.

The problem is that downloader is Windows only (an exe file, which Macs won't run for a number of reasons).

So while the idea below may work AFTER you download the full file, it won't solve this part of the problem. And, for those of us who have Macs only and no PCs, BestBuy's/DigitalRiver's method simply won't work the way it's set up right now. I, for one, am not going to a public library or borrow a friend's computer for 3 hours or so (assuming they have a fast Internet connection) to download a game. It defeats the purpose of downloading altogether.

I did contact BestBuy about it and they were fairly quick at issuing me a full refund, though, so I may still end up going to a store and just buying a physical copy.

But my advice for everyone as of now is, if you have a Mac, stay away from BestBuy/DigitalRiver's download option as of now. Just go to the store and buy it.

D.

I understand digital river has an .exe file for there setup to download the digital version of sims 3, and yes I understand you can only run .exe on PC. Simple fix download it on a PC, extract and copy installation file/folder to a portal hard drive and transfer to your MAC. Run the fix stated above and boom your done less than 10 minutes to complete. If you don't own a PC it shouldn't be hard to find someone who does and has high speed internet. It's the 21st century. Second for the guy who bought a hard copy you should of done your research before giving up. I did mine and it took me 2 days of waiting and researching before I did anything else. If you want to get a refund it might be too late digitalriver has changed the image of the sims 3 on there website no longer states win/mac on the box cover.

tigas uten

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
mac filters non legit developers

it just sucks when the games co themselves have a 'support' section when in the end you will be re-directed to a third party or independent server who in turn will do the talking for these companies. its as if they're playing safe and just don't really want to be accountable after you purchased a game from them! this is not a customer support man.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.