Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hi there from Chiangmai

I had correspondence in recent months with a perfectly normal chap called John Hoekstra.
I have recently noticed that his name is appearing as me in my mail.

For example in the panel above a mail it will say FROM: John Hoekstra instead of me, and I happen to be another John, John WicXXXXXX, confusing recipients more! Something like:

Subject: Question about MPT
Date: 19 June 2009 14:05:25
To: Multipoint

What could be the problem and how do I solve it please??

cheers John (not Hoekstra!)

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Check your Mail preferences->Accounts, or more likely, your Address Book application. See whether your name in Address Book has a silhouette or a standard card icon. If it has a standard card icon, look for John Hoekstra in there. You can designate a "My Card" from the Card menu at the top of the screen in the menu bar, so to fix it, select your vCard in Address Book and then go to the Card menu->Make This My Card. Not sure how it happened in the first place, but this should fix it.

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hello Jedi Meister

thanx so much
I changed the address book thing and not only the new mail I wrote changed, but looks like all the past mail in my INBOX and SENT too! It must assign the name, wrong or right, from the address book to the actual email address and just tell you that name. If it's wrong, as mine was, it's wrong. Make it right and it's right!

Thanx again

Cheeryble

Gghoffman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Georgia
I had a similar problem, but in my case, when I got email it showed the wrong name from the sender. The same sender (let's call him "John Smith") showed up for several Facebook notifications from groups I am a part of. I went to "John Smith" in my address book and didn't see any weird email addresses which in the past had been the case when email showed the wrong address. After much hair pulling, I decided to highlight "John Smith's" real email address and delete it (cmd-x) to my clipboard leaving it blank on the address card. I then closed my address book. I went to mail and closed it too. I reopened mail and the bad "FROM John Smith" went away and was replaced by the correct email address from the sender. I then went back to my address book and pasted John's email address back into his card. To test, I closed email and reopened it and "voila!" no John Smith address in the wrong place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.