Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcde7ago

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, quick question...I just want to know if this is happening to anyone else...

Basically, i'll have a contact stored in my address book (for example, Jane Doe) and the number is stored as (for example): (111)-222-3333.

When I got to dial that phone number (which is within my area code) i'll just dial 222-3333. Normally, on 2.2.1 the name would appear under the number if you just enter the number without the area code. Now, on my 3G running 3.0, it does not. I have to enter the entire number, (111)-222-3333 in order for the phone to recognize that it's a number already stored in the address book.

What's going on? Is this just me? Is there an option somewhere that I somehow missed to change this? It's really annoying cause for some people, I know their numbers by heart which don't require an area code and when i type their numbers in my phone doesnt recognize it. When I look back on my recent calls, they just look like random dialed numbers, and do not come up under the people's names.

I know I could easily fix it by removing the area code from every number, but even still, area code or not never mattered for me before 3.0...help?!

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
I don't know about your specific problem, but if you have the numbers stored in your phone, why are you dialing the numbers to begin with? Just tap the number in the contact and it calls it. Put ones you call frequently in your favorites.

tjhilder

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Kent, UK
forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need to put in an area code when dialing a number using a mobile :rolleyes:

jcde7ago

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
San Francisco, CA
forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need to put in an area code when dialing a number using a mobile :rolleyes:

Well, you're wrong, but I forgive you. If you're within the same area code, you don't need to enter the area code to place a call through (at least here in the states). This also applies with landlines.

Regardless though, that's irrelevant...on prior OS's, the phone would ALWAYS recognize a number without an area code. If you were out of area and placed that call anyways, your cell provider would notify you to place the area code anyways.

Also, sometimes it's faster to just hit "Phone" and then dial the number (especially if , again, it's a number you know by heart) than it is to hit Phone > Recents (or Contacts) and Scroll down fill you find who you want to call. I guess this just really annoys me that they changed this from 2.2.1 <, cause you'll dial a number, and expect the name to pop below it...but it never comes if you didn't enter an area code, and you just kinda have a "WTF?" moment, trying to make sure you dialed the correct number. It never used to be like that.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I don't know. That's what favorites are for. *shrug*

The numbers I dial the most are all in my favorites, so I double tap the home button and hit their name. That's way easier to me than dialing the number. Plus, I haven't lived in my cell phone number's home area code in 10 years; even when I'm dialing those in the same area code I have to dial all ten digits since the call would be originating out of area.

But, I take your point in theory. The iPhone should be able to recognize the number either way. You should submit that to Apple.

apple.com/feedback/iphone :)

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
You can set it so when you double click home button it goes to your phone favorites. You can even assign specific numbers to your favorites, not just contacts. Then it's only two quick clicks of the home button plus one tap to call someone. It's faster than dialing even a number you know by heart.

Your method is certainly valid though. It's not like there's a right or wrong way to use an iPhone haha. I'm just trying to save you some time and effort.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Well, you're wrong, but I forgive you. If you're within the same area code, you don't need to enter the area code to place a call through (at least here in the states). This also applies with landlines.

Regardless though, that's irrelevant...on prior OS's, the phone would ALWAYS recognize a number without an area code. If you were out of area and placed that call anyways, your cell provider would notify you to place the area code anyways.

Also, sometimes it's faster to just hit "Phone" and then dial the number (especially if , again, it's a number you know by heart) than it is to hit Phone > Recents (or Contacts) and Scroll down fill you find who you want to call. I guess this just really annoys me that they changed this from 2.2.1 <, cause you'll dial a number, and expect the name to pop below it...but it never comes if you didn't enter an area code, and you just kinda have a "WTF?" moment, trying to make sure you dialed the correct number. It never used to be like that.

Don't be too assumptive. In my area you must dial the area code even for numbers in the same area code because it's possible to make a "local" call (as if that mattered to a mobile user) to a different area code. I am in the "states" as well.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
no problem here on either 3gs or 3g with 3.0, I would suggest maybe re-creating that contact

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.