Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i have gotten 2 texts recently and the sound did not go off,but it went off for all my other texts all day. i am using "chime". i remember this happening a bit with 2.0 software in the beg. this also happened a bityesterday. anyone have this?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I have noticed it and I haven't figured out a pattern yet. It doesn't "ding" when the SMS app is open and the active chat receives a message but it's also missed a few when that's not the case. Weird.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
This issue was horrible for me with 2.0. 2.1 fixed it for me and ever since then i would lose a text sound very rarely, but the next text would bring the sound back. Same thing for 3.0 with me, every once in a while the sound wont come with the text, but if you leave it be, the reminder sound comes after 5 minutes and usually the sound comes back with the next text.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
restarting it doesn't fix it. when i had 2.1 it always worked. but with 2.0 it was a always on and off constantly.

3.0 seems to have a bug. mine jsut did it and i had done a full restore and set up as a new iphone. It didnt' happen on 2.1.1 or w/e the one before 3.0 was, so i know its not me lol

i wonder if 3.0 on 3gs has it also

I have noticed it and I haven't figured out a pattern yet. It doesn't "ding" when the SMS app is open and the active chat receives a message but it's also missed a few when that's not the case. Weird.

I don't get what you mean

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I don't get what you mean

If you're chatting with me and that screen is open when you get a message from me, you don't get the same sound as when the screen is closed. I'm not sure if it makes a sound at all when the screen is open to me and I send you a message. I almost always close the app entirely after sending a text message to ensure it rings upon reply, rather than leave it open to the person I'm texting where it may or may not make any noise.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
If u have the app open and your phone is not off (as in you can see the SMS app open) it wouldn't make a ding noise. It makes a zoom noise thing. That's normal.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
If u have the app open and your phone is not off (as in you can see the SMS app open) it wouldn't make a ding noise. It makes a zoom noise thing. That's normal.

Right, that was my point. But the totally missing sound is different. There's no zooming noise or anything. I did pay closer attention to it today and didn't notice any missing noises, however, so maybe it's just my imagination. To quote the Blues Brothers as a loud train goes by the window to their tenement room:

Jake: How often does the train go by?

Elwood: So often you won't even notice.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i heard the zoom sound when texts get sent. with the app open or close. at least i think i do lol.

either way this is about sms sound not always going off, but then going off for like 100 more texts then ir might randomly stop again. i got it 1 or 2 times today. its so weird.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
ok this is definetly software. whats funny is today i ahd the same thing happen with my aim push! i got an alert for Aim and no sound came jsut a vibrate and the box showed up! then it worked for the rest of the night! weird

does everyone have this? i think whats funny is some people don't notice they have it cause A) they dont get that many texts. B) they have it on vibrate!

flashram

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Same problem since upgrading to 3.0. Random notification sounds on both my 3G and 3GS iPhones.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
ok so its a 3.0 thing. that means its def. software related. did any of you report this to apple bugs? i did. we all should this way it gets noticed! also you guys notice it happens with aim push in same way.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
same problem for me and i do a lot of texting so its pretty often that a new text comes in and theres no sound. i always close the text app after using it so that i make sure to get new alerts.

im even getting the bug where there is no new alert on the screen until i unlock the phone sometimes.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
everyone should post if its with a 3g or 3gs phone, but someone before did mention it was with their 3gs. Its safe to safe its a software flaw and not hardware.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
same

same, I have noticed the same thing.

So, story is, always close the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.