Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that the company has sold over 1 million iPhone 3G S models over this past weekend. The press release notably includes a quote from Steve Jobs:
"Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "With over 50,000 applications available from Apple's revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever."
The sales figures match those of last year's iPhone 3G launch weekend sales numbers. Apple also reports that six million customers have downloaded the new iPhone 3.0 software which works on the existing 40 million iPhone and iPod touch models.

Article Link: Over One Million iPhone 3G Models Sold on Launch Weekend

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
I believe a lot of the sales were via pre-orders from Apple and AT&T which was a brilliant way to cut down on lines at local stores for the two companies. I remember reading something about the CEO of AT&T being quoted this week as saying they had sold a few hundred thousand via pre-order alone and I’m sure Apple’s pre-orders probably double or tripled that.

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
And on the same weekend that RIM announced it lost subscribers. I love watching a good competition. Has Palm announced any numbers yet?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
what this article is missing is the fact that its with fewer countries than last year. apple is doing a staged rollout and started with 8 countries vs. 22 last year - so that means over a million in a down economy is truly amazing.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Wow. Those are some pretty awesome numbers.

If memory serves, Apple wanted to sell 10 million cell phones in 1 year when the original iPhone was released.

A couple years later and they hit 1/10 of that in a weekend. :)

I am really curious to see how this version sells in Japan. My guess is that it will be much better than the prior versions.

ryanguill

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I understand that not everyone would upgrade to the new software as soon as it comes out, but 6 million out of 40 million phones sounds extremely low to me. I would have expected the majority of iphone users to be early adopters and technologically progressive enough to have upgraded by now, but maybe it is still a little too soon.

Guess that just goes to show you though that on a macro scale, the majority of iphone users really weren't missing copy/paste functionality all that much.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Good news. I just hope that this doesn't take away from any scheduled updated in the future. Too much success and they get lazy.

I bet 3.0 played a big part in this also.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
over a million

Congrats to Apple fr a great product...

How many Pre's sold? Was it around 50,000? Sorry Sprint :D:D

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I understand that not everyone would upgrade to the new software as soon as it comes out, but 6 million out of 40 million phones sounds extremely low to me. I would have expected the majority of iphone users to be early adopters and technologically progressive enough to have upgraded by now, but maybe it is still a little too soon.

Guess that just goes to show you though that on a macro scale, the majority of iphone users really weren't missing copy/paste functionality all that much.
More than half of that 40 million is iPod Touch users. Many of them won't pay $10 for the upgrade. So actual iPhones was somewhere around 17 million I think. Still only ~33% (if you only count phones), but better than the number you're thinking.

ryanguill

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
More than half of that 40 million is iPod Touch users. Many of them won't pay $10 for the upgrade. So actual iPhones was somewhere around 17 million I think. Still only ~33% (if you only count phones), but better than the number you're thinking.

ah, that does make a little more sense. But yeah, still, only a third is still much lower than I would expect. I would be interested in seeing the number on wednesday after it has been out a week and then again after it has been out a month.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
Hand-Me-Downs...

The truly cool thing about this number, is that I'd be willing to wager that even if only 1/3 of that million are upgrades (and it could be more than that) that means nearly 300,000 iPhone and iPhone 3G models going into the hands of people who either didn't have one before or are upgrading themselves. Can't imagine too many of the older models just getting tossed or tucked in a drawer.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I'm personally glad to see this info because I was getting sick of reading the stories from the major news networks that this year's new iPhone release was doing poorly. They cited the lack of large lines at the stores but AS USUAL the press didn't do their homework to account for the pre-order facts and the availability in many more locations (Apple, AT&T, Walmart, and BestBuy).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Nice. APPL up $1.12 in pre-market. $150 here we come.

Also of note, 6 million downloads of OS 3.0.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Count me as one of those million. Loving the new device so far, much improvement on many levels. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.