Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hello,

I need to enable the root account but cannot find the "directory utility" that is supposed to be in the utilities folder..

My mac is set to dutch and the dutch translation of the online docs has not yet been updated for 10.5.. Can anyone show me a screenshot of this app if it is even available? I've opened all apps in the utlities folder and can't find it..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

cjstitchman

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
directory utility?

I seem to have the same problem. Can't find 'Directory Utility' app on my mac anywhere.

I found another way though. In your utilities folder there should be an app called 'Netinfo Manager'. Open this and click the padlock so you are able to make changes. Then in its menu bar go to Security/Enable Root User. I think this is what your looking for.

Christopher

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Before you go too far down that road, are you absolutely certain you need to enable the root user? 99.99999% of the time (scientifically proven!) you're just as well-off by using sudo to obtain root access without the added complexity of enabling the root account. (ref)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Granted, you shouldn't be enabling the root account unless you really have to (and I haven't had to - although I have done it before just for the hell of it) ... but this is very odd.

The Leopard docs do indeed say to use the Directory Utility. I have Directory Utility but it is nothing to do with root accounts - it's for setting up directory servers. In Tiger, you used Netinfo Manager to enable the root account, but this isn't to be present in Leopard.

This seems to be an erratum in the docs.

Edit: I'm dumb ... the option is present in Directory Utility ... I wonder why Apple moved it there. Anyway, the question now is, why don't you have this in your Utilities? I don't know ...

pieterbezuijen

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Adreslijsthulpprogramma

I hope you already found it, but for other users trying to find it (like me)...

In Dutch Directory Utility is called: Adreslijsthulpprogramma.

I agree with the others that most of the times root is not needed, but in my case it is (need to change the hosts file for testing purposes).

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
I agree with the others that most of the times root is not needed, but in my case it is (need to change the hosts file for testing purposes).

No, you don't need to enable root to change that. You just need to use the command line like this:
Code:
sudo pico /etc/hosts
The rest of it is really easy, and will walk you through itself.

lopezfmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Hello,

I need to enable the root account but cannot find the "directory utility" that is supposed to be in the utilities folder..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

In Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) the directory utility is in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app

you can access through System Preferences / Accounts
or through the terminal with:

open /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory\ Utility.app/

Hope it help...

Solidsnakeeater

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
I seem to have the same problem. Can't find 'Directory Utility' app on my mac anywhere.

I found another way though. In your utilities folder there should be an app called 'Netinfo Manager'. Open this and click the padlock so you are able to make changes. Then in its menu bar go to Security/Enable Root User. I think this is what your looking for.

Christopher

I don't find the utilities folder anywhere!:confused:

----------

I don't find the utilities folder anywhere!:confused:

I'm using a macbook

umdenken

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
I found it here

in german it is called:
Verzeichnisdienste.app

the hint from lopezfmr is still correct for OSX 10.9.5

The Problem is to find it (with your eyes in your language) when you have not an english OSX installed. The Folder is:
/System/Library/CoreServices/

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I found it here

in german it is called:
Verzeichnisdienste.app

the hint from lopezfmr is still correct for OSX 10.9.5

The Problem is to find it (with your eyes in your language) when you have not an english OSX installed. The Folder is:
/System/Library/CoreServices/

System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> Network Account Server -> Join... -> Open Directory Utility...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Spotlight has no problems finding it. As others have pointed out, its in the CoreServices folder

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Spotlight has no problems finding it. As others have pointed out, its in the CoreServices folder

With Mavericks, basic use of the Spotlight menu (simply seeking a name):
  • will find items at /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications
  • will not find items at /System/Library/CoreServices

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
up this series of answers has the clue for pre-El Capitan (us the Go menu, Go to Folder, then /System/Library/Coreservices), but I like doing in via Terminal command:
sudo passwd root

(you type in your password, then the root password twice, and it's enabled)

for El Capitan:
/System/Library/Coreservices/Applications

(but I only use Directory Utility for joining domains, and El Capitan has it now also via Users & Groups System Preferences, then Login Items, then note the join button)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.