Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HungryPillow

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Are there really so few people with problems after installing the new firmware? My MBP is completely unusable now. I get a beach ball every 10 seconds that lasts 20-30 seconds. I get it opening web pages, opening applications, opening finder, opening system preferences, etc. etc. Even if I don't open anything and just try to type, the beach ball keeps coming up. I tried to post this using the MBP but just gave up.

I've tried formatting and reinstalling OSX from scratch, I've tried doing all the Onyx repairing/cleaning suggested in this thread, but it doesn't help. I've got the WD Scorpio Blue in there now, but I've tried putting back the original drive that came with the computer but it's still the same.

This is my first Mac that I got less than a week ago. It was absolutely perfect and super fast when I first got it, then the firmware patch came and it's like a heavy paperweight now :( I was really falling in love with this machine but this experience has really added a sour taste to my experience... hope they fix this issue soon.

LowMach

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
less than a week. take it back and demand your money back stating the problem. or exchange it for a new one if you think you would like ot try another one.

well i am avoiding the update for now. i have no ssd and the machine runs great, so i will ocntinue to watch how the update goes with other users.

i learned several years ago to not jump on the updates too quickly when i updated and my wi-fi was unusable for a week until they had yet another update to fix the last update.....

let someone else be a beta tester. lol.

baseline01

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
So... In effect what this update did was render all the third party HD's unusable.
Thus vindicating Apple because now people will really be pleased with their factory shipped disks :p
Good grief.. What terrible engineers they're hiring now days.

daver.cl

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Are there really so few people with problems after installing the new firmware? My MBP is completely unusable now. I get a beach ball every 10 seconds that lasts 20-30 seconds. I get it opening web pages, opening applications, opening finder, opening system preferences, etc. etc. Even if I don't open anything and just try to type, the beach ball keeps coming up. I tried to post this using the MBP but just gave up.

I've tried formatting and reinstalling OSX from scratch, I've tried doing all the Onyx repairing/cleaning suggested in this thread, but it doesn't help. I've got the WD Scorpio Blue in there now, but I've tried putting back the original drive that came with the computer but it's still the same.

This is my first Mac that I got less than a week ago. It was absolutely perfect and super fast when I first got it, then the firmware patch came and it's like a heavy paperweight now :( I was really falling in love with this machine but this experience has really added a sour taste to my experience... hope they fix this issue soon.

i had this exact same problem with the stock drive... i ran onyx and reset the PRAM (turn off your mbp, then turn it on while pressing cmd+option+p+r until it chimes a second time). doing that has cleared up the issue for me completely.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
So... In effect what this update did was render all the third party HD's unusable.
Thus vindicating Apple because now people will really be pleased with their factory shipped disks :p
Good grief.. What terrible engineers they're hiring now days.

Want to use my Jump to Conclusions Mat?

Lots of people have stated that they upgraded with 3rd party drives and everything works, even some in this thread.

Bluehinder

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009

Lots of people have stated that they upgraded with 3rd party drives and everything works, even some in this thread.

Um, there is no way to justify anybody having problems with a firmware update. These are all standard drives people are using. The problem is clearly more than sporadic.

This is a mistake on Apples part, lets not pretend otherwise.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

Good one and good movie. :)

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Um, there is no way to justify anybody having problems with a firmware update. These are all standard drives people are using. The problem is clearly more than sporadic.

This is a mistake on Apples part, lets not pretend otherwise.

Absolutely must be Apple's fault for breaking every single drive in every single mbp... oh wait that did not happen. Why are people on this forum also looking for issues or something to blame Apple for?

I stated that there is no way Apple broke support for all 3rd party drives since people with 3rd party drives are fine. There is likely another cause.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Sorry, but this is a disaster. I bought a Hitachi 5k500.b specifically because it's the drive Apple sells. MUCH slower and tons of beachballs since the firmware update. If this doesn't get fixed within a few weeks, this is my last Apple. I thought I'd had it with my white MacBook but this is worse. WOW Apple, boo :(

Anyone know if there's a setting to limit the 5k500.b to 1.5? there's gotta be a reason Apple's drives have no problem...

P.S. Due to the disclaimer, until proven otherwise, I'm assuming Apple issued this update deliberately to break aftermarket drive use... That is NOT okay. They have until this Friday to fix this. If it's not, I'll go back to the 160 and NEVER TOUCH AN APPLE PRODUCT AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Absolutely must be Apple's fault for breaking every single drive in every single mbp... oh wait that did not happen. Why are people on this forum also looking for issues or something to blame Apple for?

I stated that there is no way Apple broke support for all 3rd party drives since people with 3rd party drives are fine. There is likely another cause.

:rolleyes:

Some people who make idiotic comments like this above do not belong here.

No one had issues till Apple released the new updated firmware which then broke the communication with their HD. The Firmware has a issue now that it doesn't like some drives and some it does. It is obvious it is Apples fault as no other machine to this day that I know of would have this type of problem with any drive on the market.

glavoie84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
System logs

To those having frequent beach balls, so you have an entry like this added to your system logs every time it happens?

09-06-27 12:42:01 smartd71 Device: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@B/AppleMCP79AHCI/PRT0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice, failed to read SMART Attribute Data

I have beach balls every hours and every time, I have this entry added. I also have trouble getting SMART informations with smartctl (smartmontools) when it happens.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
:rolleyes:

Some people who make idiotic comments like this above do not belong here.

No one had issues till Apple released the new updated firmware which then broke the communication with their HD. The Firmware has a issue now that it doesn't like some drives and some it does. It is obvious it is Apples fault as no other machine to this day that I know of would have this type of problem with any drive on the market.

Yes I forgot 4 people means a conspiracy. It could not be a bad hd, bad ram, dents, incomplete updates, third party software....

Look because 4 people have a problem does not mean a firmware update broke something.

Geigercount

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
You can add me to the list. Brand new MBP 15" 2.66. The stock Hitachi 320 gb works fine but my new Hitachi 7200 rpm 320 gb will not boot the machine. It will recognize the disk installed on firewire after a lot of work. Looks like the firmware got me too! I may take this one back and get the previous model as a refurb.

vudep

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
it gets improved

it seems like the Onyx and PRAM reset route has reduced quite a bit of beachballs and freezings for me. I only get them once in while now but got 5 CRC error counts since the firmware update ( never had a single one with the same drive in my old alu macbook 13" for 6 months).

Macbook pro 13"
Samsung ssd 256gb

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Yes I forgot 4 people means a conspiracy. It could not be a bad hd, bad ram, dents, incomplete updates, third party software....

Look because 4 people have a problem does not mean a firmware update broke something.

There are a lot more than just 4 people. And it is the firmware as the components work fine out of the system. Keep your day job seriously.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
The SATA bus speed issue got a lot of attention, and Apple quickly released the firmware update probably as a result. I don't think the problems with the update itself are getting as much publicity. Anyone with problems should be contacting Apple support.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
There are a lot more than just 4 people. And it is the firmware as the components work fine out of the system. Keep your day job seriously.

Please point me to the "lot more than just 4 people" who have this problem? I see this thread and um... this thread.

mt21

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Please point me to the "lot more than just 4 people" who have this problem? I see this thread and um... this thread.

Gladly...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/731932/
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9724689#9724689

But anyway, I just wanted to chime in and share my experience with this issue so far.

Ever since I updated the firmware, my OCZ Summit 120GB SSD no longer works in my 15" June 2009 Macbook Pro. Whenever I install it and then try to install OSX, I can never make it through the installation. BUT, if I take it out, put it in my external enclosure, and proceed to do the install via USB, it installs flawlessly. If I then try to boot it up via USB, it works just fine. But, reinserting it into the Macbook and trying to boot up always fails.

So, it seems like people's hard drives have not been "fried" (as some people have mentioned before). It just seems that Apple made some sort of mistake with the firmware where the SATA controller can no longer connect properly with some hard drives.

The one perplexing thing is that my friend has the same hard drive installed on his June 2009 13" Macbook Pro and he has not had any issues. Different hardware? Just random occurrences? Any opinions on this?

I think we need to let Apple hear about this just as we did when they downgraded the SATA to 1.5. Email Phil Schiller, Steve Jobs, leave feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html. Let's be heard to make sure that these issues are fixed!

mt21

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Aww the poor people who had to do a PRAM reset to fix the issue! The horror I mean holding down 4 buttons at the same time!! How dare Apple! :mad:

I know this might be hard for you, but if you actually took the time to READ those threads you would have noticed that the PRAM fix did not work for everyone and many people have this issue with STOCK hard drives. So if you don't have a problem with the firmware, good for you, take your posts elsewhere.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
I know this might be hard for you, but if you actually took the time to READ those threads you would have noticed that the PRAM fix did not work for everyone and many people have this issue with STOCK hard drives. So if you don't have a problem with the firmware, good for you, take your posts elsewhere.

I read the posts and still stand by the fact that only a handful of people have the issue and that they are blaming Apple for a problem that is affecting so very few. I state there are other causes to blame.

I guess however if I am not welcome in this thread I will move along.

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
What about you?

I read the posts and still stand by the fact that only a handful of people have the issue and that they are blaming Apple for a problem that is affecting so very few. I state there are other causes to blame.

I guess however if I am not welcome in this thread I will move along.

I believe every one is welcome in this thread, as all knowledge is useful. Snide comments can be left out. Do you have a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 machine that is working after the update? Do you have a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 machine that is not working after the update? Either way there are some that need help with the issue. It's an Apple it should just work, right!!! There are many people out there that should not even know how to reset the PRAM unless told to do so by some knowledgeable authority not just this thread. That's what Apple is all about... Not all people should have to know how to fix their computers, those people own PC's. As for the Apple world people should be able to trust that the updates that they get will work, and if they don't they should be reassured that it will be fixed soon, especially on a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 piece of equipment.

Bluehinder

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
I believe every one is welcome in this thread, as all knowledge is useful. Snide comments can be left out. Do you have a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 machine that is working after the update? Do you have a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 machine that is not working after the update? Either way there are some that need help with the issue. It's an Apple it should just work, right!!! There are many people out there that should not even know how to reset the PRAM unless told to do so by some knowledgeable authority not just this thread. That's what Apple is all about... Not all people should have to know how to fix their computers, those people own PC's. As for the Apple world people should be able to trust that the updates that they get will work, and if they don't they should be reassured that it will be fixed soon, especially on a new $1200.00 to $2000.00 piece of equipment.

Tru dat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.