Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meek Wriggle

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
UK
It's been less than a week since Eclipse released Galileo too! I'm spoiled for choice now.

EDIT: One thing I prefer about Eclipse is that it generates less files when you make a new project. For a newbie to programming, Netbeans looks a little daunting. Eclipse has a streamlined feel about it, although I've heard that Netbeans has better support for creating GUI's in Java.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
No matter how much I try and like Netbeans I always end up back with Xcode after a short time. It just runs so much faster than Netbeans.

Still I'd be interested to know if they had managed to speed it up at all in this release.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
No matter how much I try and like Netbeans I always end up back with Xcode after a short time. It just runs so much faster than Netbeans.

Still I'd be interested to know if they had managed to speed it up at all in this release.
NetBeans is faster in this release, mostly because of the loading features on demand that it now does. Launch time, however, is still WAY slower than Xcode.

Meek Wriggle

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
UK
Okay, I mentioned it because switching to 6 64bit made some other stuff I was working on much faster.

ß e n

How did you do this? Switch the JDK I mean.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. For those who don't know how to change your default JVM just go to Spotlight and type in Java Preferences. Just drag Java 6 up to the top in both the Applet and Application section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.