Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
"Do you email the president when there's a pothole on your street? The grandiose sense of entitlement in people today is bewildering."

No, but when I spend $1200 on a product I expect it to do what it's supposed to do.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
FWIW,

I just spoke with Apple technical support and was told that they are receiving a lot of calls regarding this issue and that another firmware update will be released to correct it.

I wasn't given a specific timeframe for the firmware release, but let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

MacBook Pro (June 2009) Mac OS X (10.5.7) iPhone 3GS

This in any way related to the BTO 7200rpm drive issues also? Seems like you're potentially screwed if you add your own drive, and potentially screwed if you go with the Apple HD upgrade.

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
This in any way related to the BTO 7200rpm drive issues also? Seems like you're potentially screwed if you add your own drive, and potentially screwed if you go with the Apple HD upgrade.

I am wondering same thing. I'll gladly pay for the 7200pm upgrade if it actually works. I haven't bought one because of this pending issue. Furthermore, do new machines ship with the firmware already applied?

mt21

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Do you email the president when there's a pothole on your street? The grandiose sense of entitlement in people today is bewildering.

You're right, emailing an Apple executive who has the power to do something about an issue that is affecting many people that just paid $1200 - $2300 for a brand new laptop is equivalent to emailing the president about a pothole... :rolleyes:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I am wondering same thing. I'll gladly pay for the 7200pm upgrade if it actually works. I haven't bought one because of this pending issue. Furthermore, do new machines ship with the firmware already applied?

If someone can tell me where to quickly find it i'll check the replacement MBP I should be getting early tomorrow.

lybones

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
You're right, emailing an Apple executive who has the power to do something about an issue that is affecting many people that just paid $1200 - $2300 for a brand new laptop is equivalent to emailing the president about a pothole... :rolleyes:

FIX MY POTHOLES!:apple::rolleyes:

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Here is a link to the information you are requesting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

I just picked up my new 13" mbp tonight from the apple store... this is what is has on it. I assume this is the most previous one before the 1.7? So I should be good to install my 500gb scorpio and not install the 1.7 until this is cleared up?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    642.1 KB · Views: 452

vitaeergo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
2nd Intel X25 - No Go

Just received my 2nd Intel X25 (replacement for the first). It, too, is not able to be seen by the MBP. The drive, brand new, works just fine in other machines, but not the MBP with the upgraded firmware. Sigh. Two in a row.

tragicv

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
hello. new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put their third party hd into a optibay style drive enclosure. Im kinda new at all this computer stuff, but is the sata 1.5gb or 3.0gb limit enforced to only the factory hard drive sata port and not the superdrive sata port? or is it a system wide restriction?

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
You've got dead pixels on you sceen...

I just picked up my new 13" mbp tonight from the apple store... this is what is has on it. I assume this is the most previous one before the 1.7? So I should be good to install my 500gb scorpio and not install the 1.7 until this is cleared up?

I noticed you have a lot of dead pixels on your screen... Oh wait those are stars... LOL

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Possible fix

This is exactly what I did but after EFI 1.7 because I was still experiencing issues after the update and it solved all my problem except that I can't use the superdrive anymore.

See my post about it here

hello. new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put their third party hd into a optibay style drive enclosure. Im kinda new at all this computer stuff, but is the sata 1.5gb or 3.0gb limit enforced to only the factory hard drive sata port and not the superdrive sata port? or is it a system wide restriction?

gorn

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009

Seems that way, my MBP 13" with the update has
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

The other way to check is to go to the Serial-ATA area and look at:
Speed: 3 Gigabit
If it says 3 Gigabit it is post 1.7, if it says 1.5 it is pre-1.7

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Seems that way, my MBP 13" with the update has
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

The other way to check is to go to the Serial-ATA area and look at:
Speed: 3 Gigabit
If it says 3 Gigabit it is post 1.7, if it says 1.5 it is pre-1.7

Good idea, thanks. I'll check that when I get home.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
This is exactly what I did but after EFI 1.7 because I was still experiencing issues after the update and it solved all my problem except that I can't use the superdrive anymore.

See my post about it here

This seems like a very large workaround to a problem that Apple needs to acknowledge. I think that this problem is bigger than the speed limitation itself, because now third party SSD's are simply not working!

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see the progress on rolling back the firmware, or if they are wiling to try and fix it.

jay1118

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
This seems like a very large workaround to a problem that Apple needs to acknowledge. I think that this problem is bigger than the speed limitation itself, because now third party SSD's are simply not working!

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see the progress on rolling back the firmware, or if they are wiling to try and fix it.

Let us know what they tell you! I called but i just got a general, "We are looking into it" answer.

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
My guess is that the problem has something to do with the SATA cable and is I'm right I don't see any other fix than a recall and I'm not sure if Apple is willing to do that because the problem is only affecting users with 3rd party drives...

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
My guess is that the problem has something to do with the SATA cable and is I'm right I don't see any other fix than a recall and I'm not sure if Apple is willing to do that because the problem is only affecting users with 3rd party drives...

It's affecting the stock drives as well. We are getting random beach balls that lock the computer for a minute or so.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
It's affecting the stock drives as well. We are getting random beach balls that lock the computer for a minute or so.

I am also getting the beach balls suddenly on the oem HD. Just started happening.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I had the beachballing with my OEM drive but simply resetting the PRAM instantly solved the problems

I did that and it stopped as well. Wonder why it started doing that in the first place.

gario1

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
FWIW I have been having this awful problem with the 160gb OEM drive in my MBP 13. I will try the PRAM reset and see if it helps..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.