Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topherg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Hi guys, I have a usb port in my car which before buying my 3GS I would charge my iphone 3G on with the data cable. Now for some reason my 3GS will not charge in my car but if I hook up my 3G it charges just fine! Anyone experiencing similar issues, or know why it will not charge my 3GS!? Thanks for the help!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hi guys, I have a usb port in my car which before buying my 3GS I would charge my iphone 3G on with the data cable. Now for some reason my 3GS will not charge in my car but if I hook up my 3G it charges just fine! Anyone experiencing similar issues, or know why it will not charge my 3GS!? Thanks for the help!

I have the same problem with my USB charger (cigarette lighter plug). The odd part is the charger puts out the same amount of power as the a/c adaptor. But the phone just won't charge.

topherg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
I meant is it part of the stereo or a separate device like a cigarette lighter charger

I guess it's part of the stereo it's not a cigarette lighter charger but it's not located directly on or near my stereo.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I'm having the exact same problem with ALL of my accessories. I thought all them were supposed to work with all 3Gs as well. My docks and my FM transmitter/charger no longer work.

Apple + backward compatibility = epic fail.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
is it possible that the charger is going through the firewire pins; which is no longer supported by Apple? There are adapters for this.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It does appear apple have done some kind of udpate to the USB charging, I've got a battery pack that no longer works with 3GS too.. Not terribly impressed with this move.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
they did it on purpose, same with the 3G last year, i know they made it so it couldn't charge via firewire standard, but I'm not sure about the 3gs...

topherg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Don't count on it. Time for me to throw away my two docks and fm transmitter :mad:

What!!?? Don't throw anything away! Apple should fix this! My 3GS won't even charge with the data cable it comes with when I hook it up to my car! Makes no sense!

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
What!!?? Don't throw anything away! Apple should fix this! My 3GS won't even charge with the data cable it comes with when I hook it up to my car! Makes no sense!

There is nothing to fix. They stopped using the firewire pin for charging on iPods and iPhones. It is now on the 3rd party companies to adjust.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There is nothing to fix. They stopped using the firewire pin for charging on iPods and iPhones. It is now on the 3rd party companies to adjust.

But I have a USB charger that is physically usb (as in you can use the cable that came with your phone). It won't charge the phone. It puts out 5VDC and 1.5 amps. The AC charger I have put out 5VDC 1 amp and charges the phone just fine (using the same cable). How is my car charger suppying 12VDC to the cable?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
But I have a USB charger that is physically usb (as in you can use the cable that came with your phone). It won't charge the phone. It puts out 5VDC and 1.5 amps. The AC charger I have put out 5VDC 1 amp and charges the phone just fine (using the same cable). How is my car charger suppying 12VDC to the cable?

The USB charger that is "physically USB" and won't charge the phone is most likely trying to use the firewire pin.

Is the AC charger newer?

Think I'm understanding what you are saying......might not

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That charger is probably using the correct charging pins and not the firewire ones. Of course this is just me guessing. I had to get an adapter for my Alpine stereo as soon as the design change happened. With the adapter on my Nano and iPhone charge just fine.

Yeah, my Pioneer iPod adapter doesn't work with those converters, which was partly why I got the USB charger. The sad thing is it charges my wife iPhone (1,1) just fine. Along with other USB devices that can charge via that port.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
That charger is probably using the correct charging pins and not the firewire ones. Of course this is just me guessing. I had to get an adapter for my Alpine stereo as soon as the design change happened. With the adapter on my Nano and iPhone charge just fine.

The firewire/usb pins are at the dock connector end of the cable, not the usb plug end. So, if the OP is using the cable that came with his phone it should work with any USB charger (provided it's putting out the required wattage) because the cable will definitely have the correct pinouts. The firewire/usb pinout problem was only for accessories like docks, speakers, very old cables etc. that had a dock connector with the wrong power pinouts built in.

None of this explains why his car would charge his 3G but not his 3GS - both these phones use the USB charging pinouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.