Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OZxtc2

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
ipod touch (2nd gen) Bluetooth Activation

G'day all from downunder (new member here so be nice)

So you know I go way back, my first computer being an AppleIIe then a Lisa ....a 128k to the 3 series then a portable.... then the pizza box ... then the black laptop (forget the name now)....an iMac G5 (screen went after 4 years) and now MBP 12" PPC (which I bought before the G5)..... and am now thinking about a new MBP 15" or getting the superseded model only for the express card slot... anyways.... am also thinking of getting a touch 2nd generation... but can you activate the bluetooth on it (so i can sync contacts to phone etc).... or should I wait for the 3rd generation Ipod ... if and when that comes out...?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
G'day all from downunder (new member here so be nice)

So you know I go way back, my first computer being an AppleIIe then a Lisa ....a 128k to the 3 series then a portable.... then the pizza box ... then the black laptop (forget the name now)....an iMac G5 (screen went after 4 years) and now MBP 12" PPC (which I bought before the G5)..... and am now thinking about a new MBP 15" or getting the superseded model only for the express card slot... anyways.... am also thinking of getting a touch 2nd generation... but can you activate the bluetooth on it (so i can sync contacts to phone etc).... or should I wait for the 3rd generation Ipod ... if and when that comes out...?

At the moment I think bluetooth will only be allowed to work with bluetooth headsets, I don't think you'll be able to transfer data (you can't on the iPhone, so i doubt you'll be able to on the touch).

The iPods are updated in September, so you won't see the 3rd gen until then.

And me being an ultra nerd, the 12" notebook you're talking about would be a PowerBook, the MacBook Pro never had a PPC processor :p

Welcome to MacRumors from another fellow Aussie :)

yanki

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Wao you have the huge collection of info about the features of ipod thanks for sharing it.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Just updated some 3.0 features. If anyone has anything else to add please post :)

au624

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Need help using * and \ symbols on keyboard for Ipod

HI-

How could I type in the * and \ symbols using the Ipod touch? Is there an app I can get?

Thanks

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
HI-

How could I type in the * and \ symbols using the Ipod touch? Is there an app I can get?

Thanks

When using the keyboard, press the '.?123' button in the bottom left hand corner. Then, press the '#+=' button on the left-hand side of the keyboard. The symbols you're after will be there :)

rosetaylor01

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
First of all let me state that these are the best of the tips I have learned from other forums (ipodtouchfans.com and apple-touch.com) or from the iPod Touch features guide on apple’s website so I don’t believe they are propriety information. I think they are some valuable tips that either Noobs or experienced users can use. I would be happy to edit my post from time to time with tips that you all suggest.

1. If you double click the home button in any application, or with the screen off will bring up the music controls. This will not work if completely powered off.

2. When inputting a great deal of text in Safari turn it to horizontal view. The keyboard will be bigger and you can get a better grip of the Touch while typing with two thumbs.

3. If you have made a spelling mistake, press and hold the word you spelled wrong and a magnifying glass will appear. Slide your finger back and forth to move the cursor bubble. This also works when manually keying in addresses in safari.

4. When scrolling through a long page in Safari - tap the bar at the top of your screen containing the address bar, time, and battery, Safari will automatically return to the top of the page and the show address bar.

5. Power saving tip:Turn off WiFi in the settings menu to save battery power when not in use.

Grasher

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
I'm thinking of getting an iPod touch and have three (hopefully quick) questions:
1. Can I download podcasts direct to the iPod using WiFi or do I need to download via iTunes on my laptop and then sync?
2. Is it possible to download web pages and store them for viewing offline later?
3. Can I rate photos, add faces or keywords and have these recognised by iPhoto the next time I sync?

I'm buying one to use on my commute on the train where I won't have WiFi so was planning to flick through some web content at home to read on the way. I also never seem to get time at home to properly sort my photos so doing it on the train seems like a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I'm thinking of getting an iPod touch and have three (hopefully quick) questions:
1. Can I download podcasts direct to the iPod using WiFi or do I need to download via iTunes on my laptop and then sync?
2. Is it possible to download web pages and store them for viewing offline later?
3. Can I rate photos, add faces or keywords and have these recognised by iPhoto the next time I sync?

I'm buying one to use on my commute on the train where I won't have WiFi so was planning to flick through some web content at home to read on the way. I also never seem to get time at home to properly sort my photos so doing it on the train seems like a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

1. You can now with the 2.2 Update.
2. There are apps available for this - both free and paid.
3. I am not a mac user and thereby cannot answer this. I would assume not. But let others answer this for you.

catbirdee

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
virginia beach
Hunh???

Yes, stickie this up :)

Hi and help! "features" looks like where I need to be, :confused: but I don't know what stickie-ing something means. I don't know how to find 'threads' I was at before.

All I'm really wanting to know is where is the power supply that didn't come with my new ipod?, (which I also don't know how to use.... :eek: )

I think I need Mac forum kindergarten.....

I got a MBP and the ipod. the mac book I at least know how to use, (I think!)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi and help! "features" looks like where I need to be, :confused: but I don't know what stickie-ing something means. I don't know how to find 'threads' I was at before.

All I'm really wanting to know is where is the power supply that didn't come with my new ipod?, (which I also don't know how to use.... :eek: )

I think I need Mac forum kindergarten.....

I got a MBP and the ipod. the mac book I at least know how to use, (I think!)

"Stickying" something on a forum means to make it stay at the top of the board so that other topics dont bump it down - this topic is a stickied topic, for example. Only moderators and admins can sticky a topic, so I contacted one several months ago to do it for me.

Now, onto your question. What exactly do you mean about the "power supply"? Do you mean a cord that plugs into your wall to charge the iPod? iPods don't come with these anymore, you have to buy them separately. However, the white USB cable that would have come with your iPod does charge it, all you have to do is connect it to your computer's USB port while the computer is turned on.

kunal123

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Dehradun,India
In 1.1.3 if you press the home button twice and then press the lock button, in the lock screen you will get large media control buttons which are available until you unlock the ipod.

patriot1776

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Word Completion - Word Suggestion

When typing, every now and then a suggested word will appear in a pale blue bubble with an X in it. I'm assuming this is a Word Completion that is popping up, but how does one use the suggested word?

For instance, I'm typing the word "evaluation". I start typing and get to e-v-a-l and up pops evaluation in a pale blue bubble. I've tried tapping on it, and it goes away. I've tried hitting the X on the bubble, it goes away. I tried hitting return - and it puts a return in and the bubble goes away. I've tried using the space key - and it puts a space in and the bubble goes away.

This is driving me mad, and I cannot find ANY documentation anywhere that tells how to use this feature. I've also searched these forums for "Word Completion" and "Word Suggestion" and found nothing. Either that - or I'm just blind and helpless (which I don't think I am).

HELP!:cool:

liaamikiir

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
Using Autocomplete

Hi Patriot,

To use the autocomplete feature on my iPod, I hit space when the pale blue bubble pops up. I don't know why this isn't happening on your iPod. What version are you using? I'm a 2nd G running 2.1.1.

Lia

millarfelix

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
I Cant Put Apps From Itunes To My Itouch

I DOWNLOADED APPS AND THEY WENT TO APP TAB UNDER LIBRARY IN ITUNES BUT THERES NO TAB WHEN I CLICK ON THE PIC OF MY ITOUCH SAying apps and i dont know how to get them from the tab under library to my ipod im very confused plese help ??? do i need to get a upgrade

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009

I do this on my computer using Adobe PDF; i.e., make a PDF of the pages and parts of web site I need to read later, but I am unsure if you can do this directly from the iPod Touch (although I know you read Adobe PDFs from the iPod). Good question though... downloading the entire web site... Safari has "Work Offline" feature and maybe you could download page itself but doubtful for entire site Grasher....

patscott

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2009
location not found

Great thread, thanks. I just got the 3G.

When ever I look at maps with the map app that came on my Touch it constantly displays a window that says it can't find my location. I close the window but it keeps coming back. Its as if it thinks theres a GPS on board or something. Any idea how to make it stop? :confused:

thanks,
pat

cathrin24

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
the latest ipod touch

Hello Ivan P

Could you tell me if these features applys to the newest ipod touch? I have just purchased one and I need to know exactly what this particular ipod does.

Thanks, I have read most of your answers and I think you'd probably have the anwer to my question.

Cathrin24

rorydads

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
well i just got an ipod touch but i fogot my pasowrd and i need to connect to itunes to unlock it. I have just got a new computer because i moved house and i cant get it to connect with my new computer. It says i have to unlock it first.:mad: How do i do this?

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
well i just got an ipod touch but i fogot my pasowrd and i need to connect to itunes to unlock it. I have just got a new computer because i moved house and i cant get it to connect with my new computer. It says i have to unlock it first.:mad: How do i do this?

Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but your whole post just reeks of being way too coincidental to be real. You have an iPod that you can't remember a 4 digit password for? And you can't connect it to your computer to reset it, because you got a new computer right as you forgot the password? And you got a new computer just because you moved to a new house??? And you're a completely new user to this site?

I smell something fishy here. I'd lay odds it isn't your iPod touch and that you either found or stole it, and can't get past the password the original user setup. Look elsewhere for help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.