Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune reports that Apple retail store stocks of the 16 GB white iPhone 3GS model have fallen precipitously low early this week. At present, only 10% of Apple's over 200 retail stores have the model currently in stock.
Apple has been having trouble keeping the entry-level white iPhone in stock since the new 3GS went on sale two and a half weeks ago. But as of Tuesday morning, it has all but disappeared. . . It's not clear whether demand for the white 16GB model is unusually high, or if Apple just isn't making enough of them.
Most Apple retail stores currently have both the black and white 32 GB models available, while the black 16 GB is available in only about 35-40% of stores.

In late June, Apple posted an online availability tracker for the new iPhone 3GS, updated hourly with stock levels at each of its retail stores. Supplies of many models tightened early last week, but rebounded later in the week.

Article Link: 16 GB White iPhone 3GS Stocks Run Low in Apple Retail Stores

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
This is just speculation, but... maybe a lot of people who had the more popular black iPhone 3G wanted a white 3GS because they were tired of the black finish. Since the 3GS looks identical, changing to the white one boosts the feeling of getting something new and fresh.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I just don't like the look of the white one. I still wish they could have included an aluminum version. I LOVE the look of my first gen iPhone. I also understand the limitations that an aluminum shell puts on the innards, but still...... THAT was hot.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Perhaps (and this is a stretch), ther WAS something wrong with the white iPhone..... As a result, there's a supply shortage while Apple remakes them.

I know that someone(s) will say "it's the cases!" that cause all this, however, I think that there is an underlying cause that isn't just simple demand....

ifonehacks

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Low all around

It's not just the white. In the Apple store near me they are out of all 16GB models.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
This is just speculation, but... maybe a lot of people who had the more popular black iPhone 3G wanted a white 3GS because they were tired of the black finish. Since the 3GS looks identical, changing to the white one boosts the feeling of getting something new and fresh.

+1 I am of this crowd. I think the white is way better looking after having used both.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Walked right in and got my 16gb white 3gs on the 22nd no problem. In and out in 10 minutes

That's cool and all...but ummm...that was over two weeks ago?? How is that relevant to what's happening right now?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
It's because they are shipping all the white ones over to Japan. They love the white ones over there. Can't keep up with demand. They can't keep them stocked. I have a friend that lives in Japan and she said the white ones are huge over there.

Attachments

• japan1.JPG
    japan1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,288

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Perhaps (and this is a stretch), ther WAS something wrong with the white iPhone..... As a result, there's a supply shortage while Apple remakes them.

I know that someone(s) will say "it's the cases!" that cause all this, however, I think that there is an underlying cause that isn't just simple demand....
I dunno, the white one has been around for a year now and since they didn't change the design, I doubt that they changed the materials.

I just think the demand is greater than expected. I've heard many owners of the black iPhone 3G saying they wish they would've gotten the white one, and vice versa. Since the black 3G was the most popular one by far the last time around, logically the demand for white should go up with the 3GS, but Apple probably based the manufacturing on the modest demand for the old white 3G.

I have a white 3G myself and for a long time I wish I would've gotten the black one, but after a while I realized I already had the one I would've wanted if I had bought the black one. ;)

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007

That described my situation perfectly. However, I ended up going with the black one again. :)

brownieguy19

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
We have no way of knowing if black was more or less popular than the white one with the 3G. The white had a $100 extra price tag. Consumers did not have the same black/white decision they have with the 3GS.

Now when you go in the store to purchase an iPhone 3GS you can have either color in either size for either price.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Must be a large amount of girls buying the 3GS
Err... white and black are as gender neutral as any colors can be. If white is a "girlie" color, I suppose only girls bought Macs and iPods between 2003 and 2007 when pretty much all of Apple's products were white.

Blacklabel34

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Orange County
Err... white and black are as gender neutral as any colors can be. If white is a "girlie" color, I suppose only girls bought Macs and iPods between 2003 and 2007 when pretty much all of Apple's products were white.
I don't agree or disagree but between the years when most apple products were white, There Wasn't A Choice! Give me the choice of any product apple sells and I will get it in black (I know there's more of you out there:D). But if you do look at the demographics. Most males end up with black and most females end up with white. It's not a big deal especially when everyone puts a case over them anyways. Then you can't even tell the difference.;)

BTW Im just throwing this out there. Would most of you say the white is more "flashy" then the black? or do most of you think the black is more "flashy"?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
It's because they are shipping all the white ones over to Japan. They love the white ones over there. Can't keep up with demand. They can't keep them stocked. I have a friend that lives in Japan and she said the white ones are huge over there.

Agreed... I live in Japan and everybody digs them here!

iRich1G

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
The Nasty Apple, Taxachusetts
I just got mine today that I ordered from an AT&T store over a week ago. I went with white for exactly this reason. I had the black 3G, and the 1st gen before, so I wanted some variety looks wise. I wasn't too sure about white at first, but now after having it I know I made the right choice:D

Seriously "Sky Blue" I'm glad that I'm secure enough with my masculinity that I can rock a white iPhone:rolleyes:

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Jony Ive = white iPhone

Perhaps the white model became the popular choice once it got out that Apple's head of design Jonathan Ive uses a white iPhone. (As revealed in the recent documentary "Objectified".)

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
But if you do look at the demographics. Most males end up with black and most females end up with white.
BTW Im just throwing this out there. Would most of you say the white is more "flashy" then the black? or do most of you think the black is more "flashy"?
I definitely agree with you that although black and white do not seem gender specific (like pink vs blue), when the only choices are black and white, I have noticed that most girls choose white and most guys choose black. I'm sure a psychologist could try and give us an explanation, but I definitely agree that the statistics show girls with white and boys with black.
Although there are exceptions, back when I was a kid in school, boys almost never wore white shoes and girls frequently had white shoes (remember Vans and Etnies?). I don't know what the psychology was, but that's the way it was. Maybe it has to do with dominant/bold/masculine versus pretty/feminine. Black is bold and dominant and white is more "cute." I don't know, but I think that's a good guess. That is the natural way, but it seems that fashion has changed in the last few years and it's perfectly acceptable for a guy to have white today (although EVERY guy that I know has a black iPhone).

My friend had a white Mac back then. He said he hated the white, but it was the only color they made. So, there is an example of a guy who bought a white Mac but really wanted a different color. He had a blue case over it most of the time.

it seems that white iphone is more popular than black iphone. there are 41 iphone retail stores in US, while among them, 30 has no 16GB iphone in stock. it is really very crazy.

I think they're just shipping all the black ones to U.S. stores and all the white ones over to Japan.
Take a look at inventories and you will see that this makes sense.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Perhaps the white model became the popular choice once it got out that Apple's head of design Jonathan Ive uses a white iPhone. (As revealed in the recent documentary "Objectified".)
Yeah, white has made a strong comeback in industrial design (Apple were a few years ahead with their white era). In the 90's it was the most shunned automotive color but nowadays every car ad uses a white one. Audi, VW and BMW are crazy about white at the moment and have been for the last couple of years.

In my line of work (graphic design, advertising) the white iPhone is far more popular, I guess those people are slightly more sensitive to trends. Black is a bit 90's if you ask me. As for white being more "ghey", well, those associations go both ways. Maybe those who prefer the shiny black version secretly want to look like this guy:

VillagePeopleGuy.jpg

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
shortages spread....now 16gb black is pretty much tough to find in many states....shipments needed badly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.