Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac and iPhone developer Jim Dovey reports (via TechCrunch) that the iPhone version of the popular media cataloguing application Delicious Library has been pulled by the developer after being notified that that the application's use of Amazon data runs afoul of recent changes to the company's Product Advertising API license agreement.
So Amazon recently changed the terms of service for their Product Advertising API, which is in use in applications such as Delicious Library. This is (I believe) the API by which DL gets its book information, and through which it provides links to related items, reviews, etc.

The new license includes this marvellous little tidbit in section 4e:

"You will not, without our express prior written approval requested via this link, use any Product Advertising Content on or in connection with any site or application designed or intended for use with a mobile phone or other handheld device."
Importantly, the restriction applies only to mobile platforms. Delicious Library's developer, Wil Shipley, contacted Amazon to request permission to continue using the API in the iPhone version of Delicious Library, but was denied.

It remains to be seen whether Amazon will eventually grant an exception to its policies, Shipley will find another source for the necessary data, or if the iPhone version is truly gone for good.

Article Link: Delicious Library for iPhone Pulled Due to Change in Amazon's Policies

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
So does that mean my Delicious Library app will be deleted form my iPhone the next time I sync?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That stinks.

I use Readerware and they are "licensed" to pull data from a variety of places (based on what i read back when it was bought). HOpefully the developer works something out, i know a lot of people love it!

sith33

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
That language has been in the amazon agreement for a while. At least 6 months or so.

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
So what was the reason he was denied? How about some real reporting in this article -- the why part is significant...

The reasoning might be because Amazon has their own application for iPhone...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So does that mean my Delicious Library app will be deleted form my iPhone the next time I sync?
I wondered the same but ...

No, but only if Apple is forced to pull the kill-switch due to pressure from Amazon.

That language has been in the amazon agreement for a while. At least 6 months or so.
Can you prove that?

This is bullsh*t really. DL has been an app I use often for quite some time (back when it was really in beta stages). I love this app and was finally so pleased to see it on my iPhone. I was exporting my library to a webpage (via DL) and uploading it to my own website but that always required me to download the site onto my phone each time I wanted to view it. I love the DL app and only just got it up and running on my phone. Screw Amazon for this and the fact that they took away the referral commissions from NC residents.

Whoremongers.

So what was the reason he was denied? How about some real reporting in this article -- the why part is significant...

For the reasons set forth in section 4e of their agreement. Clearly.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
What makes this worse is that the touch app isn't actually using the API, it is syncing the data from the desktop version which uses the API.

Amazon are now saying you can't use data collected with the API on a mobile device, not just that you can't use the API on a mobile device without permission (which they have always said).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What makes this worse is that the touch app isn't actually using the API, it is syncing the data from the desktop version which uses the API.

Amazon are now saying you can't use data collected with the API on a mobile device, not just that you can't use the API on a mobile device without permission (which they have always said).

Good catch. The phone also uses data sync'd from the desktop so ... technically we did not collect it via the mobile device.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Hang on... Delicious Library was out as an iPhone app??

Since when? How long has it been out!

I'm completely gutted I missed it :(

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes, the desktop version is just fine. The licensing agreement issue appears to be related to mobile (iPhone) usage of Amazon API's - not desktop.

Yeah, it's fine right now. Or at least until Amazon decides to arbitrarily change their terms again.

If you want to do something about it, complain to Amazon.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Amazon should be GRATEFUL for the free publicity, Traffic, and SALES!!!!! due to Delicious Library... looks like someone is getting to big for they boots!!!! :rolleyes:

"Record producers and music publishers should be GRATEFUL that we chose to play their song in our movie, tv show, radio broadcast, commercial, etc... Its FREE advertising for their product!"

Yea but the real world doesn't work that way...

You'd think automakers would PAY game makers to include their top cars as featured vehicles for their hot new racing/crash-em game after all they do it for big budget movies? Do you think it was out of sheer luck for BMW that one it's signature autos was 007's latest toy? For some strange reason the exact opposite is what actually happens for games or at least it did last I heard.

Why? Got me...

Dave

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
This is bullsh*t really. DL has been an app I use often for quite some time (back when it was really in beta stages). I love this app and was finally so pleased to see it on my iPhone.
Just highlighting how complicated the real world is--software always carries this risk when it relies on a third party service without a negotiated and definite agreement in place.
Good catch. The phone also uses data sync'd from the desktop so ... technically we did not collect it via the mobile device.
Technically, it doesn't matter. The license restricts use of the data in mobile applications. It doesn't have anything to do with how the data was acquired from Amazon. It's a distinction without a difference.
Yeah, it's fine right now. Or at least until Amazon decides to arbitrarily change their terms again.

If you want to do something about it, complain to Amazon.
Indeed.

I don't think this has to do so much with Amazon's own plans, but rather concerns of retailers on specialized price aggregation software being developed to do comparison shopping in retail stores--right now you need a web-enabled phone and have to load the individual websites, but pulling the data directly (from Amazon and Buy.com, etc.) and compiling it through APIs is a much more powerful and efficient way to do it while standing in the aisle of a local retailer.

Amazon doesn't want to kill local retailers completely, because the fact that it relies on the honor system for people to pay their use taxes is a major advantage for most customers, and the B&M industry isn't pushing the matter too hard right now--so Amazon needs to be careful not to heat that battle up much more. They're already slowly losing it.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Yeah, basically Amazon is now saying we can't use the data on a mobile device. It doesn't matter how we get it on the device.

This is incredibly cheap. Yes, it is their data and they can limit it (they don't even have to give APIs). Still, it is super annoying that they'd suddenly just change the terms. I guess Delicious Library will have to find a new way to get the info.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I don't think this has to do so much with Amazon's own plans, but rather concerns of retailers on specialized price aggregation software being developed to do comparison shopping in retail stores--right now you need a web-enabled phone and have to load the individual websites, but pulling the data directly (from Amazon and Buy.com, etc.) and compiling it through APIs is a much more powerful and efficient way to do it while standing in the aisle of a local retailer.

Amazon doesn't want to kill local retailers completely, because the fact that it relies on the honor system for people to pay their use taxes is a major advantage for most customers, and the B&M industry isn't pushing the matter too hard right now--so Amazon needs to be careful not to heat that battle up much more. They're already slowly losing it.

I think it's so that when people are standing in retail stores, they cannot do price comparison shopping.

Can you explain the second paragraph better though? I don't understand what you are saying. Thanks. :)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I complained to Amazon... Hopefully the fact that I'm a Prime member and order a ton of crap from them will count for something.

I don't have DL for iPhone but I complained anyway because when companies start doing this kind of thing we consumers lose. Amazon should remember that their customers contribute greatly to their site by writing and rating reviews, publishing lists, and most importantly, by buying things. If they come off as a greedy, grasping, arbitrary, souless corporation, they risk alienating the customers that have made them what they are.

Careful, Amazon... you are treading on thin ice here.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I think it's so that when people are standing in retail stores, they cannot do price comparison shopping.

I think it has everything to do with the fact you can get the information from their own amazon app, thus, more likely to purchase from them. On my Blackberry I can even take a picture of the item and Amazon will come back with the exact product and price, and I can buy it right then and there.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Good points, BUT!!!! last time I looked Amazon are not doing so well!!! and should not play giving away free publicity!!! :eek: lets face it, with Amazons UGLY interface!!! the only way I look for info on Amazon is via DELISH! if thay do bring out a iPhone App, lets face it!! it will not even come close to that of DELISH!! with barcode scanning, GREAT interface etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. :p let's wait to see Amazons traffic stats go WAYYYY down with this one.

Amazon is doing just fine. They have barcode scanning too now. I happen to really like their app on my Blackberry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.