Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Last night I jailbroke, and a few bumps in the road but its coming along. Pretty much have a small clue as to what I am doing but I'm learning.

Cydia was working fine and I used it to get LockInfo. But now, I can not get Cydia to open. I click on it, it brings up the window and then closes itself. I have done a turn off/turn on and a hard restart - and it will still not open.

Can I use the Freeze program to re-install Cydia, or will that cause a problem?

Thought I would double check here before I really screwed something up. Thank you!

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
OK well I went ahead and reinstalled Cydia from the Freeze program. It still opens up, black screen, then closes itself out.

Any ideas how I can get Cydia to open and function?

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
When you JB, did you install Icy & Cydia both ?

If so, many are reporting the same problems as you.

Re-JB and only add Cydia, not Icy.

Might fix it.

I did not install or download Icy. Not even sure what it is really other than what I have read that its similar or better than Cydia.

I only installed Cydia from Freeze, updated the Cydia, downloaded Winterboard, and only got to add LockInfo. After one of the restarts I was never able to get Cydia to open fully.

I guess I will try a Restore and Re-JB tomorrow.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I had the same problem as you. I have a 3G. I had to restore my phone, re-jailbreak but this time, in Cydia, I did not install the essential upgrade. I noticed last time Cydia would freeze/reset after I installed the essential upgrade. I have no clue what the essential upgrade does so I just left it out this time and everything seems to be working fine.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I had the same problem as you. I have a 3G. I had to restore my phone, re-jailbreak but this time, in Cydia, I did not install the essential upgrade. I noticed last time Cydia would freeze/reset after I installed the essential upgrade. I have no clue what the essential upgrade does so I just left it out this time and everything seems to be working fine.

Ahhhhh I think I will try that - Thanks for the post! My Cydia froze up also pretty soon after the update. I am about to restore also so I'm glad you posted and I read this before. Thanks again!

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
My Cydia was crashing every time it opened. I traced it to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. Deleting them fixed Cydia. I can't guarantee that will fix Cydia crashes but it has worked for several people who have asked the same question here recently.

Here are a few methods to delete them.

SSH into the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Open MobileTerminal on the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
My Cydia was crashing every time it opened. I traced it to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. Deleting them fixed Cydia. I can't guarantee that will fix Cydia crashes but it has worked for several people who have asked the same question here recently.

SSH into the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Open MobileTerminal on the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

delet the whole "updates" folder??

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008

How do you open MobileTerminal? I'm guessing that should have been downloaded from Cydia before it crashed? Thanks!

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
So, after reading another thread similar to this, it seems the real problem lies with installing a package and an error pops up and the installation is not completed. To test this out, I did upgrade the files in Cydia and this time, everything installed perfectly and Cydia still runs perfectly.

As the other thread pointed out, you'll have to download a program or use the terminal in the iphone and search out the folder where files are installed. There, you'll find some files numbered in sequence. Delete those and problems are solved.

Here's the info from the thread I am referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob
apt-get is no longer installed by default. You have to install something, but I forget what it's called. Maybe "aptitude"?

I started having the same problem with Cydia today when it crashed during a 3 package upgrade. Cydia would open for a couple of seconds and crash.

I figured it was related to the failed upgrades so I tried to use mobile terminal and dpkg to uninstall the things I had been trying to upgrade. That gave me an error which pointed to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates/. I deleted all the numbered files (0000, 0001, 0002 etc) and now everything works again.

Here's the thread for more info:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/731114/

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009

this method worked

sslanchi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Following these instructions worked for me also..thank you!!!

Its worth noting that the program iPhoneBrowser is much easier to use than SSH'ing

nada1985

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Cydia wont open and I can't restore my iphone.

i've jailbroken my iphone 3.0.1 using redsnow to install cydia. After using it for a day cydia would open and the close. I tried to re-install cydia but it still wouldnt open, so i tried to restore the phone to its original setting but itunes came up with error message 2 cannot restore iphone. Now im stuck with an annoyingly slow phone. I've read alot about people deleting corrupt files by ssh in to their iphones. I never installed ssh through cydia, so i cant figure out how to do this. any ideas????I also downloaded icy and tried to install openssh that way but it wouldnt download fully! I really have a basic knowledge of how this all works, so if somebody could give me some simple steps to fix this i would greatly appreciate it!!

Narco220

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
I am having the same problem with cydia but when i ssh into the rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ folder its empty so theres nothing to delete to fix the problem??

Hackcomic.com

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003

Do you mean all the files only in the updates folder? I get all the way to there and there are none.

But there are files in dpkg

rocpatel

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Try starting Cydia in Safe Mode. Use SBsettings to start in Safe Mode. The problem was with a mobile substrate app. Uninstalling Cyntacts and Rotate Inhibitor did the trick.

Hope this helps.

ChrisR24

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
saMe problem with me. I've had the 3.0 jailbreak since it came out, with no
problems. I never had icy. Now, I tried to open cydia for the first time this month, won't work. /dpkg/updates is empty. Earlier today I was playin around with ifile, tryin to get mxtube vids into the phtos folder (I don't know why) but maybe this has something to do with it. Let me know if you find anything.

ChrisR24

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Awesome! I just got a lockscreen from cydia and after that it wouldnt open anymore. I have iFile and saw this and deleted my updates and Cydia works again. :D

snatch24

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010

Presto, still works a year after the original post. Thanks.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008

Worked for me using iFile. Thank you sooooo much.

Flysaiah

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Ok so I am new to jailbreaking...but i managed to do it myself i have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2. and my Cydia keeps crashing as well.

I would like to try one of the methods posted here but i have no idea what SSH even means....someone help the noob please!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Ok so I am new to jailbreaking...but i managed to do it myself i have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2. and my Cydia keeps crashing as well.

I would like to try one of the methods posted here but i have no idea what SSH even means....someone help the noob please!

If you read all of this then I think it is obvious that the iFile method is much easier and you don't need to know what SSH means.

Flysaiah

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
ok so i dont know what the hell ifile is either...as stated earlier i am a noob to this..do i download ifile from cydia? because if thats the case i never did and cydia keeps crashing..can i get it from somewhere else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.