Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
In effort to save hard drive space, can I run itunes via an external hard drive (considering i have a HUGE amount of music) instead of using my internal hard drive? Anyone know? I was thinking of upgrading my internal hard drive, but I would rather not void my apple warrenty. Any suggestions? Does apple upgrade hard drives if you send it to them? ((this is what I get for not being able to order online and wait for a new ibook with a bigger hard drive and just impulse buying at the apple store...my own fault))

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
just change the location of your library within the iTunes Advanced Prefs and you will be all good to go.

you will have to keep the library files on your internal drive, but they are so small its negligable.

the only downside is that the external will have to be hooked up to be able to listen to your music, if you have a portable, this can be frustrating

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Go to the iTunes preferences and under the Advanced tab (assuming you've checked Keep iTunes Folder Organised, click on the Change button and select somewhere on your external drive you'd like to keep the music (obviously while the external is plugged in :p ). Click okay and if it doesn't automatically copy across your library then select Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu. :)

Upgrading the internal drive of an iBook can be expensive and is probably not the best option if you already have an external.

...Beaten by PlaceofDis. :eek:

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
drater said:
In effort to save hard drive space, can I run itunes via an external hard drive (considering i have a HUGE amount of music) instead of using my internal hard drive? Anyone know? I was thinking of upgrading my internal hard drive, but I would rather not void my apple warrenty. Any suggestions? Does apple upgrade hard drives if you send it to them? ((this is what I get for not being able to order online and wait for a new ibook with a bigger hard drive and just impulse buying at the apple store...my own fault))

Create a folder on External HD> Open iTunes> iTunes> Preferences> Advanced> iTunes Music Folder Location> Change... > Select folder

edit- Damn, beaten to it. ;)

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
damn

god damn you guys are fast...who the **** needs a mac guy when you have this ****...hahahahaha, thanks everyone for their 5 responses in 5 seconds. i really do appreciate it all. mad jew, nice words in white....has anyone noticed them yet?

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
drater said:
god damn you guys are fast...who the **** needs a mac guy when you have this ****...hahahahaha, thanks everyone for their 5 responses in 5 seconds. i really do appreciate it all. mad jew, nice words in white....has anyone noticed them yet?
lol, just noticed his sig as well...

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
I keep my music libary on my external hard drive, just remember to make sure it's turned on when you start iTunes or the default music import folder will default back to HD:Users:yourusername:Music, but if it does that, if you quit and restart iTunes with the drive turned on it will go back to the external HDD again.

phelpslogic

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2005
additional details

drater-
let me expand on what jonat8 said:
"I keep my music libary on my external hard drive, just remember to make sure it's turned on when you start iTunes or the default music import folder will default back to HD:Users:yourusername:Music, but if it does that, if you quit and restart iTunes with the drive turned on it will go back to the external HDD again."

To answer your initial question accurately, no you can't ( i have not been able to find a way yet) run itunes COMPLETLY outside of your initial system, only the library will point to it. Itunes is "hardwired into your system **ayone reading this please let me know if you know otherwise-thanks!**

you might want to know these key details before you kill yourself (all the previous info is technically correct). Allthough, here are a few good reasons why you should not use itunes, before i list them, i'll just say i am in the middle of consolidating my meager library of 150 gigs and have been reamed many times--ohh it feels good!:

1) itunes will invariably "reset" the library in advanced prefs to your internal after you do everthing everyone else has aforementioned.
1.a. But also, sometimes it has reverted to the old library location: when you add new music to the library from anywhere else on your system(even from your external if you have them in a different folder for some reason); possibly when you add new hard/software OR upgrade OR even sometimes from simply restarting both, with and without the external turned on.
now, since you now have the old library location (sweet!), you get to experience the wonderful process of redirecting and organizing your library (unless you can get it to work by resarting which sometimes works (not always). You will need to readd/import the tracks again and delete off your internal if the cause was from a previous add.

that being said, here's what apple says to do-don't forget step 12:

Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences (In Windows, from the Edit menu,choose Preferences).
Click the Advanced button in the Preferences window.
Click the Change button in the Advanced pane.
In the Change Music Folder Location window that appears, navigate to the location where you would like your new Music folder to be created. Note: By default, your iTunes Music folder is a folder named "iTunes Music" in ~/Music/iTunes/ where the tilde "~" represents your home directory. In Windows, the default location is:
\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
Click the New Folder button in the Change Music Folder Location window.
In the New Folder window that appears, enter the name of the new iTunes Music folder.
Click Create.
Click Choose in the Change Music Folder Location window.
Click OK in the Advanced window. A message appears that says: "Changing the location of the iTunes Music Folder requires updating the location of each of the songs in your music library. This update will not move or delete any of your song files."
Click OK.
...12....From the Advanced menu, choose Consolidate Library. A message appears that says: "Consolidating your library will copy all of your music into the iTunes Music folder. This cannot be undone."
Click Consolidate. Important: This action copies all of your music files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your music files.
After the folder has been copied, locate your original iTunes Music folder, and drag it to the Trash or Recycle Bin. Note: Don't remove the iTunes 4 Music Library files that may be in the same location as the iTunes Music folder.
Empty the Trash or Recycle Bin.

if you have a pc, save yourself the headache and get this:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

lata

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
The only thing I would be worried about would be connection speed. Make sure to use firewire. it's too bad the imacs don't come with firewire 800 ports. My firewire 800 drive was (pretty much) good enough to run imovie off of.

dsipod

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2005
Great instructions. I consolidated the library into the external hard drive but I am not sure what you mean when you specify Itunes Music Folder. I am sure this is not the Itunes Application window. Can you elaborate?

QUOTE=phelpslogic]drater-
let me expand on what jonat8 said:
"I keep my music libary on my external hard drive, just remember to make sure it's turned on when you start iTunes or the default music import folder will default back to HD:Users:yourusername:Music, but if it does that, if you quit and restart iTunes with the drive turned on it will go back to the external HDD again."

To answer your initial question accurately, no you can't ( i have not been able to find a way yet) run itunes COMPLETLY outside of your initial system, only the library will point to it. Itunes is "hardwired into your system **ayone reading this please let me know if you know otherwise-thanks!**

you might want to know these key details before you kill yourself (all the previous info is technically correct). Allthough, here are a few good reasons why you should not use itunes, before i list them, i'll just say i am in the middle of consolidating my meager library of 150 gigs and have been reamed many times--ohh it feels good!:

1) itunes will invariably "reset" the library in advanced prefs to your internal after you do everthing everyone else has aforementioned.
1.a. But also, sometimes it has reverted to the old library location: when you add new music to the library from anywhere else on your system(even from your external if you have them in a different folder for some reason); possibly when you add new hard/software OR upgrade OR even sometimes from simply restarting both, with and without the external turned on.
now, since you now have the old library location (sweet!), you get to experience the wonderful process of redirecting and organizing your library (unless you can get it to work by resarting which sometimes works (not always). You will need to readd/import the tracks again and delete off your internal if the cause was from a previous add.

that being said, here's what apple says to do-don't forget step 12:

Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences (In Windows, from the Edit menu,choose Preferences).
Click the Advanced button in the Preferences window.
Click the Change button in the Advanced pane.
In the Change Music Folder Location window that appears, navigate to the location where you would like your new Music folder to be created. Note: By default, your iTunes Music folder is a folder named "iTunes Music" in ~/Music/iTunes/ where the tilde "~" represents your home directory. In Windows, the default location is:
\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
Click the New Folder button in the Change Music Folder Location window.
In the New Folder window that appears, enter the name of the new iTunes Music folder.
Click Create.
Click Choose in the Change Music Folder Location window.
Click OK in the Advanced window. A message appears that says: "Changing the location of the iTunes Music Folder requires updating the location of each of the songs in your music library. This update will not move or delete any of your song files."
Click OK.
...12....From the Advanced menu, choose Consolidate Library. A message appears that says: "Consolidating your library will copy all of your music into the iTunes Music folder. This cannot be undone."
Click Consolidate. Important: This action copies all of your music files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your music files.
After the folder has been copied, locate your original iTunes Music folder, and drag it to the Trash or Recycle Bin. Note: Don't remove the iTunes 4 Music Library files that may be in the same location as the iTunes Music folder.
Empty the Trash or Recycle Bin.

if you have a pc, save yourself the headache and get this:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

lata[/QUOTE]

dsipod

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2005
Can you elaborate as to what exactly is the Itunes Music Folder? An where I can find it to delete it?

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iTunes Music folder is where your tunes are kept by default. It will be either in your iTunes folder within your My Music folder (on a PC) or simply within the iTunes folder in Music on a Mac. It'll have two data files next to it, one of which contains all your playlists, playcounts and the music location information. These files probably shouldn't be deleted. Having said that, you probably wouldn't want to delete your music folder either. :)

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Connection speed's no problem at all; I've had my music exclusively on a USB2 HD for the past two and a half years without any problems. MP3/AAC files aren't exactly gigantic.

Joey1806

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Go to the iTunes preferences and under the Advanced tab (assuming you've checked Keep iTunes Folder Organised, click on the Change button and select somewhere on your external drive you'd like to keep the music (obviously while the external is plugged in :p ). Click okay and if it doesn't automatically copy across your library then select Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu. :)

Upgrading the internal drive of an iBook can be expensive and is probably not the best option if you already have an external.

...Beaten by PlaceofDis. :eek:

Hi, do I have to back up my songs to the external BEFORE changing the location of the iTunes library?

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I have nearly 500GB of itunes on an external drive, I would recommend that you buy another external drive, bigger than both you internal and the itunes drive. Then use time machine on the new drive to back them both up. I have had 3 external drives fail, 1 with power, 1 with interface (firewire fried), and the other with a failed HD. You don't want to loose you content and it will give you peace of mind.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Hi, do I have to back up my songs to the external BEFORE changing the location of the iTunes library?

copy you music folder over to the external then make the changes mentioned here in the itunes preferences of the locations, and your itunes will be non the wiser.

is you external firewire, I found USB cannot stream video across a network, because USB is too slow.

GinaJ.

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster. My question is; if I download Itunes to an external hard drive how will I sync my Iphone?
Please bare with me I'm new to all of this,
Thanks.
Gina

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster. My question is; if I download Itunes to an external hard drive how will I sync my Iphone?
Please bare with me I'm new to all of this,
Thanks.
Gina

Keep your iTunes music folder on the external and in iTunes>preferences>advanced..point the iTunes directory to your external mounted on your desktop and drill down till you locate the Music folder.

No need to move anything else. You're not moving iTunes anywhere off your computer so sync with your iPhone won't change anything.

GinaJ.

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
I'm sorry to be a pain but could you give me a step by step because I am having a bad spell doing this. It just dont work for me.Please!!!

Thanks for your time,
G

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
What am I doing wrong?

copy you music folder over to the external then make the changes mentioned here in the itunes preferences of the locations, and your itunes will be non the wiser.

is you external firewire, I found USB cannot stream video across a network, because USB is too slow.

I copied my itunes music folders (itunes, album artwork, ipod games, itunes music) over to my time cap. and then pointed itunes to that folder. I got nothing in itunes. I'm going from my pc to the time cap. Not my MBP by the way. I see the folders and files on the external ok, but I have nothing in itunes. I know I'm doing something wrong. It's always user error.
Help?

LJfromGOAT

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Little Help

So I've have been trying to change my setup for a while now and could really use some help. I have tried to look online but 3 of the sites and forums i've read have only led to disaster.

I have a macbook that i have been syncing my iPhone with and I have a PC which I cannot sync with my iPhone. I recently bought an external drive and have moved all of my music over. I would like to be able to run one version of itunes from either the macbook and the PC so that the same play lists are called and saving new ones will show up on the other. I would also like to be able to plug my iphone into either computer and be able to sync apps and backups.

I've tried a number of times and have kept screwing myself. Karma decided to blow my phone up too, so while i've been messing with itunes and junk my phone died and now that i have a new one, i've lost some apps and other items. with all that said can anyone guide me through the follow:

1) run itunes from my external drive for a macbook and a pc desktop
2) transfer iphone items from macbook to pc without losing them
3) be able to plug my iphone into either computer and be able to sync from both.

if i have to i would like to set my iphone syncing with my pc rather than the macbook so if there is a way to do that without losing anything that would be acceptable.

If anyone can help guide me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

incendiaryblond

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
On the external....now what

Ok. I am moving to another country. I already had moved my itunes to an external drive and I am shipping my main PC and wont have it for like three months. So I want to run my library on my laptop in the mean time. Is this possible? When I try to run direct from the drive it says that I have to change the format to fit vista; but since I'm not running from vista I cant change the format from within vista. Also tried just downloading itunes onto laptop and authorizing account; but still cant access my library.

Any ideas? :confused:

kelwrenn

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
Ipod/Itunes updating from external HD

HI All!
So I get how to use the external HD to store music, etc. But how do I update my ipod & add or manage my itunes/ipod each time i want to add music, or whatever? just like I normally would if it was on my internal HD? I am running Snow Leopard (love it...) and have also heard good things about an app called "Libra"...any thoughts? :D
Kel

IsobelC

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
help!

I use a pc so it might be a little different, but I followed all the instructions y9ou guys gave on how to use your external hard drive to hold itunes. but my music is not syncing or transfering onto my itunes from the hard drive. So now I have music on my hard drive but no way to play it/use it on my empty itunes on my computer. Any tips on why it isnt instantly transferring?

Jeramiel

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Bump!!

I have some qwestions too... I have a PC and want to get a external HHD for iTunes. I had to reinstall Vista and lost all my music. I want to bye a external HHD and run iTunes off it, store all my music and stuff. Will it work??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.