Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no.1 Apple Fan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
In a pineapple under the sea
Hi everyone! I am wondering about Geektool. Everyone on here seems to know how to use it (I see it all the time on the "Post your Desktop" forums). I would really like to know how to get the weather and stuff on the desktop. I downloaded it a week or so ago and I fooled around a bit and on the internet I managed to find a script that puts a little calender on the desktop. I tried tons and tons of scripts but none of them worked except that one. I am just wondering how all you guys know how to do that stuff and how you learn. Scripts for it would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
You may need to install Lynx and that is why they werent working, but I never tried installing it since it would never really work.
The only two things I have on my GeekTools is:

The weather -
Code:
curl --silent "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=YOURZIPCODE&u=f" | grep -e "Current Conditions" -A 1 | tail -n 1 | sed -e 's/<BR \/>//'

In the script where it says YOURZIPCODE, replace it with your zip code.

And then I have a big clock -
Code:
date "+%l:%M"

Very simple.
I never learned my scripts, probably most of the people who have it just copy and pasted scripts from other people. Like me. :eek:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Everything has been packaged into one thread, the GeekTool Thread
You will find all of the information you need there.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.