Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaleuk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I presume that the iPhone should play audio through its bottom speakers in stereo. Eg left of the dock port and right of the dock port. I have nothing coming from the right speaker, regardless of what is being played through it.

For reference I've installed AppTapp and anySIM but thats it.

I'm sure it must be a fault but I thought I'd double check with the experts first. Thanks for your help!

rhaleuk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Thanks!

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Happier now!

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I just noticed the same thing when I accidentally covered the speaker on the bottom left of the iPhone.. I was worried for about 3 minutes (that's how long it took me to google "iphone sound from one speaker").

pab277

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
the grill to the left is the speaker, the other grill is a microphone. so you'll only hear your music and speakerphone through the left one. And if your wondering "why is it that when i then cover the speaker,i still hear sound coming from the mircophone?"
well the sound just sometime "bleeds" through to the mircrophone, so its a faint sound.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
lol. I actually took mine to the Apple store because I thought it was messed up. Lucky you found out on a forum, I went through the embarrassment of making a trip to the Apple store to get an answer I could have googled in 3 minutes.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Wow, I'm genuinely surprised.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Happier now!

Why are you surprised that one is a speaker and the other is a micrphone? How do you think your voice is going to be heard while your in a phone call to the other caller? All phones have micrphones you know. Can't believe how many times this question gets asked?

Lucas111

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Why are you surprised that one is a speaker and the other is a micrphone? How do you think your voice is going to be heard while your in a phone call to the other caller? All phones have micrphones you know. Can't believe how many times this question gets asked?

I was surprised that one of the grills was a mic on the iPhone 3GS (I just got one yesterday) because I just amused it had stereo speakers.

Lucas111

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
You know, this is really amusing because there was a thread about stickies in this forum and it was concluded that no one would actually use this sticky.

I didn't see the sticky thread until just them, google's #1 result for "only one speaker working on iphone" is this thread here!

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I didn't see the sticky thread until just them, google's #1 result for "only one speaker working on iphone" is this thread here!
That'll be because the other three and a half thousand threads on the same subject have been trashed.
:D

Bungleaio

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
UK
I've just discovered this and thought I might have to send my phone back as it's faulty.

Seems odd that there's only the one speaker but it still sounds quite good, well done :apple:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I love seeing threads like this pop up.... ah memories.....

baby_new_year.jpg

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I love seeing threads like this pop up.... ah memories.....

baby_new_year.jpg

This is what happens when people are coerced into doing a SEARCH.

They search a topic, it points them to an old post, they add a comment on the old post which then brings it to the top.

The alternative would be to just post the question in a NEW THREAD, but then of course all the forum police would jump on the thread and tell the OP ... " Do you know how to search ? This has been discussed before " or words to this effect.

SEARCH <--- you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't! :D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is what happens when people are coerced into doing a SEARCH.

They search a topic, it points them to an old post, they add a comment on the old post which then brings it to the top.

The alternative would be to just post the question in a NEW THREAD, but then of course all the forum police would jump on the thread and tell the OP ... " Do you know how to search ? This has been discussed before " or words to this effect.

SEARCH <--- you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't! :D

I wasn't being sarcastic.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Why do you say it sucks? I think it is nicer and less tinny than other phone speakers.

Well, I could say my hearing is bad, but my son has to put the phone to his ear to hear it as well, when I have the speaker phone on. Most times it works okay. However, it's not great sound or anything. I can't imagine using it to listen to music (but, I have never tried, so maybe I have experience to judge on that). However, the voice in the speaker phone is not loud enough IMO. This probably has nothing to do with the speaker, but I also usally don't hear it dialing a number. That drives me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.