Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
I have two I-macs with Airport cards in each of them. I recently installed ADSL which I connect to the Internet with one of the Macs. I tried to connect the other Mac to the net via the card with no success. So then I paid a Mac dealer to succesfully configir the machines for me. A few weeks later an ex-employee played with the settings on the I-mac connected to the modem and now Airport will not work on the the client machine. Will things work better if I buy a base station, or will I have the same problems as tring to get each card to talk to eachother?
Where can I find Airport card-card setup information for 10.3.3?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm assuming your set up goes something like:

ADSL to iMac via ethernet cable, then you want to share your internet from your iMac via the airport card to the other airport card.

In order to do this do the following:

On the iMac that is plugged into the ADSL, go into system preferences and click on sharing. There should be a "share interet" tab. Click on that, turn it on and do share internet from ethernet to airport card. Then your other iMac should be able to pick up the signal. It think.

I also seem to remember that in system preferences if you click on Network then click on your airport card there is an option on the last tab to create an airport network or something like that. I think this is the preferred method.

Maybe this will get you started until somebody sitting at their Mac can clue you in.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
SilentPanda said:
On the iMac that is plugged into the ADSL, go into system preferences and click on sharing. There should be a "share interet" tab. Click on that, turn it on and do share internet from ethernet to airport card. Then your other iMac should be able to pick up the signal. It think.

Yep. That's how you do it. You're sharing your connection from ethernet to users with Airport.

The thing about creating networks is for file sharing. It's useful, if you need to remotly access a computer, isn't related to internet sharing.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Wait, you can do that? I was under the impression that you needed an airport base to do wireless between two Macs.

Would this work between a Mac and a PC with a 801B Wireless card?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
neoelectronaut said:
Wait, you can do that? I was under the impression that you needed an airport base to do wireless between two Macs.

Would this work between a Mac and a PC with a 801B Wireless card?

Yes.

It's not terribly efficient though, and I've heard there are some security issues particularly if you do something like this on a protected corporate or school network. Plus you have to leave your host computer on all the time or no one gets internet. It's better to just get a basestation. Plus that basestation gives you added protection against intruders.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Sure.. you can use wireless between two computers (called Ad-Hoc mode) without an access point. However, the signal is not repeated like an access point so the clients need to be closer to each other (within approximately 100 feet indoors).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.