Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Advertising Age reports that Microsoft has quietly altered at least one of its "Laptop Hunters" television commercials to remove reference to the price of a MacBook Pro after recent price cuts to Apple's notebook line rendered the reference inaccurate. The move comes just a week after Microsoft's Chief Operating Officer seemingly gloated over Apple's lawyers having contacted Microsoft to request that the company address the inaccuracy.
In the 60-second spot, called "Lauren and Sue," we watch as law student Lauren shops around with the help of her Mom in the hopes of finding a computer under $1,700.

In the original version, Lauren at one point comes upon an Apple computer and declares: "This Mac is $2,000, and that's before adding anything."

"Why would you pay twice the price?" asks Lauren's mom. "I wouldn't," says Lauren, who ends up leaving with a $972 Dell laptop.

In the latest version of the ad, that portion has been edited out. The original ad has been removed from YouTube and other sites by Microsoft, and replaced with a version in which Lauren doesn't talk about how much the Mac costs, but she does say: "It seems like you're paying a lot for the brand."
Microsoft is quick to point out that the focus of the ad remains unchanged.
"We slightly adjusted the ads to reflect the updated pricing of the Mac laptop shown in the TV advertisement," a Microsoft spokeswoman said in a statement. "This does not change the focus of the campaign, which is to showcase the value and choice of the PC."

Article Link: Microsoft Alters "Laptop Hunters" Ads in Wake of Apple Price Cuts

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Not that the ads were doing much. 91% in the premium category, (which is all of their laptops) is pretty darn good. :)

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
"Why would you pay twice the price?"

Hell, even if it was three times the price, people would still buy it.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Perhaps they did call, and I was wrong. But I still think Turners take on "demand" was bolstered to make Apple legal appear more childish than they were. They were probably only pointing out claims in one or two specific "Laptop Hunters" ads where content was outdated. Mr. Turners original spin suggested Apple legal meant all the ads. I would have been more inclined to believe that. I can't believe MS actually caved though, and quietly tweaked any ad.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Let the MR laptop hunter thread platform wars begin...

No kidding . . . this idea is pretty tired. We all know that there's additional value in a Mac over a PC running windows. The question is only whether that added value is worth the higher price. The idea that a 30 second ad can answer that for everyone is absurd.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If the hadn't, they would be libel for false advertising, as you can get a 15" MBP for less then 2 grand, granted it doesn't actually have things a pro machine needs, like a graphics card, but you know... marketing is marketing ;)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Mm, mm, how does that crow taste Kevin Turner?

Eat it... eat it...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Mm, mm, how does that crow taste Kevin Turner?

Eat it... eat it...
Err... do you seriously consider this a victory for Apple? :rolleyes:

It makes them look like total losers, because it proves that the call from Apple Legal actually did happen. Apple have been making ludicrously inaccurate claims about Windows and PCs in their ads for ages, and when Microsoft finally fights back, Apple stoops to behaving like a bunch of crybabies with no skin, like some litigous religious cult.

Magier80

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
i love this

That the microsoft guy gets so happy that Apple demanded they change the ads. What's wrong with a company asking to be accurately reflected? Apple knows they aren't competing in the bargain basement laptop world, so they have no reason to feel threatened by these ads. MS is just point out what has always been true. I'm not a diehard fanboy and I use macs and PCs and most of the time I want to chuck my slow, buggy piece of crap work PC laptop out of a window.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
The issue isn't about the ads, or what they say, or even that they are microsoft vs Apple...

What it comes down to is that the people on the ads make PC users look horrible. What makes the Apple ads work is the fact that they are both funny but also not stupid. The PC ads play to the lowest common denominator...which is just sad.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

It makes them look like total losers, because it proves that the call from Apple Legal actually did happen. Apple have been making ludicrously inaccurate claims about Windows and PCs in their ads for ages, and when Microsoft finally fights back, Apple stoops to behaving like a bunch of crybabies with no skin, like some litigous religious cult.

What "ludicrously inaccurate claims" has Apple made in their ads?

orbital

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
"This does not change the focus of the campaign, which is to showcase the value and choice of the PC."

LoL. Great so you are now the McDonalds of the OS game. You sell value meals, its cheap and gets the job done, but in the end it makes you feel really sad and depressed.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

What inaccurate claims has Apple made, exactly? I'm not talking about spinning facts to meet an agenda, I'm talking about material facts that are inaccurate?

I suspect if they had then Microsoft's lawyers would have made the same call that Apple's did last week. Apple were well within their rights to call Microsoft out on the adverts because they were making factually inaccurate claims following Apple's price adjustments, as witnessed by Microsoft changing their adverts.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
did anyone notice that the computer she did get cost $30 less then a macbook? I would rather get a macbook then a dell any day. LoL orbital, great McD. reference.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Considering that a 13inch MacBook would do the trick - Laura and Microsoft have no leg to stand on when it comes to value for money.

A MacBook will be either equal or cheaper than the laptops that I see in the big name retailers where I live - and if there is a difference, it is a matter of no more than $100.

Maybe Laura should decide what she wants instead of making a list of expectations based on what Apple doesn't provide. I might as well start demanding a steam boat and because Microsoft doesn't make steam boats then obviously Microsoft sucks as a steam boat company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.