Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigotheory

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Ok, so been playing wow for a while, fancy a change, whats the best online FPS out now for the Mac apart from Call of Duty 4, i played way too much of that on the 360, and is there going to be a 10-14 day trial etc....

Thanks in advance

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens
Ok, so been playing wow for a while, fancy a change, whats the best online FPS out now for the Mac apart from Call of Duty 4, i played way too much of that on the 360, and is there going to be a 10-14 day trial etc....

Thanks in advance

I still play a lot of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It's a teamwork driven FPS. It's got plenty of depth and plenty to do even when you aren't shooting. No demo or trial though. It's a pretty old game now so don't expect a lot of graphical bells and whistles.

Check out the tutorials and see if the gameplay matches what you like.
http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11603

Also you can see competition matches at http://www.EnemyTerritory.tv

Public matches on 12v12 servers tend to be more chaotic but it's still a good intro to a game with no demo.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Left 4 Dead under cider runs very well now and they fixed the text/freezing issue.

Personally if you want the best performance for a game, just run it under boot camp. The differences between the same title under OS X and XP/Windows 7 on the same Mac are staggering.

CNC3 Kanes Wrath Windows version runs much, MUCH better under Boot Camp than its OS X counterpart.

But on a desktop you may not notice. I'm always on Mac laptops, so the performance gain is much more noticeable with mobile GPU solutions.

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Battlefield 2142

If you want more out of an FPS try Battlefield 2142. Vehicle options, Infantry, Medic, Engineer.... Plenty to do, each having there role on the battlefield.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.