Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I want to add photos to my contacts but I'm not going to go around photographing everyone. Instead I have most of their pictures in my iPhoto library on my MacPro.

1. Is the best way to do what I want to transfer all the photos to my iPhone and then associate the pictures and then delete them? Or, is there a better way that I don't know of?
  2. Will deleting the photos from my phone delete the pictures associated with my contacts?

Thanks

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I want to add photos to my contacts but I'm not going to go around photographing everyone. Instead I have most of their pictures in my iPhoto library on my MacPro.

1. Is the best way to do what I want to transfer all the photos to my iPhone and then associate the pictures and then delete them? Or, is there a better way that I don't know of?
  2. Will deleting the photos from my phone delete the pictures associated with my contacts?

Thanks

Well, I can only tell you how I did things. I transferred the pics I wanted to my iPhone and then associated them with my contacts. I don't want to delete any pics to test for you, but I would think that if the pics are deleted then you'll lose the pic for your contact.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
You can associate pictures to your contacts within the Address Book app on your computer, then when you sync your phone the photos will show up for those contacts on your phone. Sounds like that would be the best solution for you.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
yes indeed to what sandman said.

No, if you delete the photo from your iPhone, it will still be associated with your contact. I tested it just now.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
They will not be deleted from the contact if you delete them on your iPhone.

However, there IS a difference in how the photos will look depending on where you add them.

If you add the photo to a contact from your computer, the picture will show in a small square on the top right hand side when they call you. Like in the iPhone commercials.

If you add the photo to a contact from the iPhone itself, the photo will be full screen when they call you.

Just another item to take into consideration, if you care how they look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.