Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbo789

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Canada
I find that the Canadian 'accent' that a lot of people talk about isn't really 'Canadian' as it is a 'Maritimes and parts of Ontario' accent. Here in Alberta, I challenge you to find one person who actually says 'eh'. There are a few out east who say 'aboot' and 'oot' instead of 'out', but once you cross the Manitoba border, those differences pretty much disappear. Take a trip to Calgary and try and spot an accent!

How many Canadians see Americans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Edit: And I just realized I dug up an old topic. Apologies!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I find that the Canadian 'accent' that a lot of people talk about isn't really 'Canadian' as it is a 'Maritimes and parts of Ontario' accent. Here in Alberta, I challenge you to find one person who actually says 'eh'. There are a few out east who say 'aboot' and 'oot' instead of 'out', but once you cross the Manitoba border, those differences pretty much disappear. Take a trip to Calgary and try and spot an accent!

How many Canadians see Americans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Edit: And I just realized I dug up an old topic. Apologies!

Canadian accents are sexy. Actually, any accent is sexy. :)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey- I like the Chicago accent too. Most people in my neighborhood have it. It's a very warm, comforting accent.

Warm and comforting, sure, but sexy...........

I miss hearing it while I was there.

I'm not a fan of the LA 'Valley-girl" accent. That's not sexy either. Obnoxious maybe.....

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Warm and comforting, sure, but sexy...........

I miss hearing it while I was there.

I'm not a fan of the LA 'Valley-girl" accent. That's not sexy either. Obnoxious maybe.....

OK- so what is the accent the guys have that makes them all sound gay? I have the worst time adjusting my gaydar out there. I've mentioned this before. All the guys sound gay! :D

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
the only thing wrong with Canadians is how much they dislike Americans because of their preconceived notions about us. that's all:p

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Hey- I like the Chicago accent too. Most people in my neighborhood have it. It's a very warm, comforting accent that I associate with nice people.

I've always thought the Chicago accent was intense . . . then I went to southern Wisconsin, and it was like the Chicago accent on steroids!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Canadian accents are sexy. Actually, any accent is sexy. :)

Is the alreet Lee? Ant sin you about, what's the up ta?
(and that's all I could think of in my native dialect :eek:)

Chstr, a lot of countries have the same preconceived notions!

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I know Canada is the only country to burn down the white house (war of 1812, check it out).

p.s. I'm Canadian :D

Well, technically it was the British, Canada didn't really exist as a country until 1871. Incidentally, my gr gr gr gr grandfather and his brother who lived in Markham, mostly sat around and got drunk during the War. They were supposed to be guarding the fort in Toronto... Perhaps it was their drunkenness that allowed the Americans to burn the fort. The British retaliated by setting fire to the White House.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that they keep their streets far cleaner than we do. I don't know if they're tidier or they're more efficient at picking up trash, but I remember being astonished at how rare it was to see litter along the highway. I felt embarrassed.

Canada is very similar to Switzerland in that way. It's always a shock to see things so tidy.

My experience cross-Canada (from PEI to Victoria) is that Canadians sometimes have more in common with the major US city in its longitude than Canadian cities in latitude. (I haven't been in the North, tho.) The biggest shock for me (other than nearly wetting my pants when I first saw curling on TV; having colored money; and getting a Queen), was understanding the Canadian provinces are not the same as states in the federal system of the U.S.

A good book on Canada is Portrait of Canada by June Callwood It was published in 1981 but she has a great sense of humor and the book is well written. According to her, Canada was variously Europe's Cod Farm or Europe's fur farm. She also emphasizes how tenuous Canadian Confederation is and was.

I've been to Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary, skiied at Mt Tremblant and have spent a fair amount of time in Vancouver.

I agree with those who say that Canadians have an insecurity complex, however, I think they're kinder, more generous and more outgoing than Americans. They also have fewer class hangups than Americans do, which is sort of odd. The Quebecois are somewhat of an odd lot.

Anything east of Richmond B.C. is simply too cold to live.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Wow to be honest Im suprised lol... I thought most Americans thought down on Canada. Haha glad I'm wrong though.

In all honesty, I find it to be the over way around. I have traveled to Canada most of my life, and my family owns property in Ontario. I have heard more unkind things said about Americans in Canada than I've ever heard said about Canadians in America.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
When I was around 15, a Canadian guy the same age as me made me realize that I'm not heterosexual, and I fell for him. It's all good though. I'm a fan of Canada. :cool:

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
No offense to you, but if all you've tried are Molson and Labatt's, then you haven't tried Canadian beer. I wouldn't drink that stuff if they served it at a bar here in LA. That beer isn't representational of what Canadian beer is all aboot :D. Try Creemore Springs (or even Alexander Keith's Pale Ale) and get back to me.

Foster's? Ewww..... Australians don't even drink that stuff.

Y'all need to venture up to Creemore, where Creemore Springs is brewed. It's owned by Molson's now, but it remains an excellent beer.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I loved the Quebec and Ontario Canada when I went last year. Niagara Falls is better on the Canada side haha. I even bought this shirt a few months later.
bustedtees.def04fd9fbc53933c761f26afd6c9dfb.gif

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just got back a few hours ago from a week long trip in Toronto. You guys aren't too bad. Although you drivers in Toronto are ****in' crazy, here in the US we usually stop at red lights ;)

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I just got back a few hours ago from a week long trip in Toronto. You guys aren't too bad. Although you drivers in Toronto are ****in' crazy, here in the US we usually stop at red lights ;)

Then you must not be in Orlando .... bloody tourists here don't know what a red traffic light means. :mad:

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
I never thought anything different about Canadians like other Americans, just happened to be a different country.... heck, before recently, even visiting was not much more work then going to another state. I just liked to tease my canadian friends about FX exchange rates.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
The Curse of the Midwest

My family and I seriously considered migrating to Canada. This was based on many factors we had compiled that were important to us. But we realized that only so much can be done with research, so before we made any final plans we spent a week there this summer "checking it out." We found Canada and the Canadians to be pretty much everything we thought it would be. There was only one big problem with Canada: the cost of living. It's the curse of living in the Midwest. The politics and the weather stink, but it sure is cheap to live here. If money was no object, we would be working toward migrating to Canada right now. As it is, we have had to set our sights on somewhere in the US that is closer to our ideals, but not as much sticker shock. It is our hope that one day we will be able to migrate there, but until then we'll just be glad to leave the midwest.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Canada is very similar to Switzerland in that way. It's always a shock to see things so tidy.

There's actually a city workers strike going on in Toronto right now, which includes garbage pick up. The first week after the strike started things were fairly appalling, but now that we're a month in it seems the communities have stepped up and gotten things looking tidy again. There are still some public trash cans that are a disgrace, but I'm actually kind of impressed with how quickly different areas came together to handle the strike.
Or Los Angeles. Worst drivers ever.

Toronto drivers are angels compared to LA drivers.

After having spent considerable time in LA, I have never since complained about Toronto "traffic".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.