Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC News reports that Swedish music subscription service Spotify has submitted its iPhone application to Apple for App Store approval. The free application would allow users of Spotify's premium service, which currently costs £9.99 per month in the UK, to stream millions of tracks to their iPhones and even allow users to cache streams for offline listening.
Spotify has been called an "iTunes killer" because of its ease of use and its comprehensive, free library of millions of songs.

It is also looked on as a possible saviour for the music industry, in its bid to offer alternatives to piracy.

The application is designed to search for new music and will allow users to temporarily store playlists to their phone for use when there is no connection.

It will also allow users to stream playlists.
Spotify has also posted a video preview of its new iPhone application.

Article Link: Music Subscription Service Spotify Submits iPhone Application to Apple

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I don't want to rent music. Some people do though, so it could work. Glad Apple has the model it does, although Apple definitely needs a VIDEO rental service.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
This is gunna be a monumental killer app here in the UK at least. They originally said that it would only work over Wi-Fi (like Skype for iPhone), but it appears to work with 3G as well. I cannot wait.

And yes, I realize it's for membership as well, but still, £9.99 per month for unlimited music anywhere, all day, everyday, friggin millions of tracks.... I would say for just a tenner a month, thats a brilliant deal. Plus, the app itself will be free and cos you're paying you won't ever get any adverts.

I've currently only got an iPod touch, but if this Spotify app comes out like it's been demoed now, I swear I will go buy a 3GS White 16GB they DAY it gets released to the app store. Then I will quit my LoveFilm contract and enter Spotify premium instead.

Also, would Apple really reject the app as it is? If it is approved, so many people will jump on the iPhone bandwaggon in the UK and sales will go way up. Or at least that's how I see it.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
We shall see if Apple allows this. I don't believe they will, but who knows?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Never in a millions years will Apple allow this into the App Store. In fact, it will be approved the same day a Netflix movie viewer is approved.

newtonrj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Music Subscription Service Spotify Submits i{hone Application to Apple

Knowing Apple's strategy, they might ask the Spotify run the subscriptions through iTunes instead of of-site subscription model. ;-)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Please!

Spotify is such a great service... I really hope this app gets approved, but as others are saying, it seems doubtful that Apple would allow such a strong competitor to iTunes.

We'll have to wait and see. :cool:

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I have never liked the idea of these types of service because i prefer to actually own my music.

Sure they have a large selection, but most of it i'll never bother with anyway.

For me the most useful non iPod app for music has to be simplify music 2 with last.fm as a good backup.

Same functionality here without all the crap music and ignoring the fee.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't want to rent music. Some people do though, so it could work. Glad Apple has the model it does, although Apple definitely needs a VIDEO rental service.

What do you mean by video rental? Are you being sarcastic? Or are you implying that Apple needs to offer a service that allows you to rent music videos and TV Shows as well as Movies?

Ams.

Vonswanko

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
You can get this in cydia now. But only for Premium service... and Spotify is not available in the US (not supported at least). I have heard rumor that Spotify will come to the states in Dec. But just a rumor.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
lol. what makes you think that you OWN the music from iTunes?

Huh? I'm definitely no Apple fanboy and have only ever bought one song from iTunes, but I do own it. It is DRM-free. I can do whatever I want with it - convert it to any other file, burn it, delete it, etc.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
What do you mean by video rental? Are you being sarcastic? Or are you implying that Apple needs to offer a service that allows you to rent music videos and TV Shows as well as Movies?

Ams.

No sarcasm. Apple needs to rent Movies and TV Shows via subscription. There current model is convenient, but costly.

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
This is a killer app - something like this could be enough to push me over the edge to finally get an iPhone or iPod Touch.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
You know, its not gonna be fair, but this app will probably get by due to its notoriety and the backlash that would result should apple reject it. But, the poor developer with the podcaster app that "duplicated the functionality of the ipod app" before apple got around to adding that functionality was not big or popular enough to get through.

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
as long as ..

as long as the subscription is paid through iTunes each time why not if Apple gets their 30%.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Is the App free with a subscription direct to Spotify or is the subscription through the App store, giving Apple 30%. Either way, Zune, Napster, Rhapsody, all fail, people prefer to own not rent music. I personally don't spend $120 buying music each year. A few albums, a lot of different songs, maybe some years I break that, but not on a yearly average.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.