Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
The latest MacBook Pro models with the non-user replaceable battery use three "Torx Plus Tamper 6" screws to hold the battery in place. This is the term used by Apple. The manufacturer calls them "Tamper Resistant Torx Plus" screws. These are a variant on the normal 6 point Torx, having 5 points instead and intended to be more secure by controlling access to the drivers. However you can still get them in the larger sizes, typically T10 and up, from ebay. The smaller sizes are extremely hard to get. Does anyone know where this particular one can be found?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Just buy a multi-tool that allows you to swap out the bits. You can get one for around $5.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You get them from Wiha tools. Of course you'll need to produce a license that shows you're authorized to buy it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Like I said; the only place you'll find the 5-point Torx is from Wiha.

If it tickles your fancy to know, Apple gets their tools from Wiha. ;)

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
You get them from Wiha tools. Of course you'll need to produce a license that shows you're authorized to buy it.

You are kidding right - now I have to be authorized to get a tool to open MY computer?

Care to give more information?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You are kidding right - now I have to be authorized to get a tool to open MY computer?

Care to give more information?

You have to be an OEM or authorized technician; usually these folks have registered businesses. Just to be clear you are welcome to work on your computer—the screws are not really designed for computers; why Apple uses it is probably for warranty reasons.

I don't work for Apple or work the rules. That's the way it is.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I'm not sure I understand the original post. Torx Plus is not tamper resistant. The tamper resistant torx plus screws have the post in the center, just like the tamper resistant torx screws, which is what differentiates them from the new torx plus fitment (not the number of grooves, which distinguishes torx from torx plus). However, a standard torx driver can be used on torx plus, just not at 100% torque--so it stands to reason that a standard Torx TR driver could be used on the torx TX fitment, no?

The short answer is that since torx TX has been liscensed only to a very few tool manufacturers, you will have to get the torx driver from one of those manufacturers.

The next question is, why on earth do you want to remove your battery?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
[ Post Deleted]

Ahh that was dumb on my part - I see that they use those screws only for holding the battery - so I could open the case but not tamper with the battery.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
This set has a T6. Is it the correct type?

No. I believe what the OP wants is an IPR6. Reason he can't find one is they are sale restricted, see the page on Wiha:

"IPR - 5 Point Security Torx Plus Bits Are Available for Order To OEM's and their Authorized Service Technicians. You must submit Written Verification Of Application Requirement to Purchase this product. Call Our Customer Service Department at:
800-494-6104 for additional information.
Not Available For Resale!
OEM'S & Their Authorized Service Companies Only"

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
No. I believe what the OP wants is an IPR6. Reason he can't find one is they are sale restricted, see the page on Wiha:

"IPR - 5 Point Security Torx Plus Bits Are Available for Order To OEM's and their Authorized Service Technicians. You must submit Written Verification Of Application Requirement to Purchase this product. Call Our Customer Service Department at:
800-494-6104 for additional information.
Not Available For Resale!
OEM'S & Their Authorized Service Companies Only"

Thanks for clearing that up.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
So now Intel has introduced a better but lower priced SSD 34nm [once the firmware fix is put through] how are we meant to put them in our MPBs without this screwdriver?
:confused::confused::confused:

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
So now Intel has introduced a better but lower priced SSD 34nm [once the firmware fix is put through] how are we meant to put them in our MPBs without this screwdriver?
You don't need this special screwdriver. It is only needed to remove the battery.

sammc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Here is exactly what I'm talking about...

Page 12 of this brochure http://www.camcarsolutions.com/products/catalog/torxplusds.pdf describes the type of screws that are holding the battery in place. The manufacturer describes them as "TAMPER-RESISTANT TORX PLUS DRIVE". They are both Torx Plus, and being 5 point, are supposedly tamper-resistant on the basis that only authorised folks can get the driver. The terminology is a minefield and leads to most folks assuming that Torx Plus = 5 point, which is not the case.

And the reason I want to remove the battery is to salvage it from an insurance write-off.

Officially you are allowed to remove the bottom cover, add/remove RAM and replace/upgrade the hard disk all without voiding the warranty according to my local Apple store. Anything else should be done by an official Apple approved service agent.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Page 12 of this brochure http://www.camcarsolutions.com/products/catalog/torxplusds.pdf describes the type of screws that are holding the battery in place. The manufacturer describes them as "TAMPER-RESISTANT TORX PLUS DRIVE". They are both Torx Plus, and being 5 point, are supposedly tamper-resistant on the basis that only authorised folks can get the driver. The terminology is a minefield and leads to most folks assuming that Torx Plus = 5 point, which is not the case.

And the reason I want to remove the battery is to salvage it from an insurance write-off.

Officially you are allowed to remove the bottom cover, add/remove RAM and replace/upgrade the hard disk all without voiding the warranty according to my local Apple store. Anything else should be done by an official Apple approved service agent.
You're still wrong. They are tamper resistant because they have a post in the middle of the screw drive that prohibits you from inserting a standard torx plus driver. Thus, you need the TX drivers, which are sale-restricted, which is not what makes them tamper resistant, it's a specific physical limitation that prevents you from using a standard torx plus.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
You're still wrong. They are tamper resistant because they have a post in the middle of the screw drive that prohibits you from inserting a standard torx plus driver. Thus, you need the TX drivers, which are sale-restricted, which is not what makes them tamper resistant, it's a specific physical limitation that prevents you from using a standard torx plus.

Our IT support company came to us with a box of about 50 IBM server hard drives in caddies. They wanted to upgrade the drives but they couldn't remove the security screws with the post in the middle.

I just made a punch and squashed all the posts so we could remove the screws using a standard torx wrench. We charged them £5 per caddy and stripped them all down in just over an hour. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.