Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

075402-time_capsule_2tb.jpg

Apple this morning quietly updated its Time Capsule combination wireless router and network-attached storage drive to double the models' capacities at the same price points as the previous models: 1 TB for $299 and 2 TB for $499. While Apple's main Time Capsule product page is not yet reflecting the upgraded capacities, the new models are available in the online Apple Store, where a small banner ad on the main store page advertises the upgrade. The new models are currently listed as shipping within 24 hours.

Rumors of a 2 TB Time Capsule first surfaced in early April when an image of a 2 TB Time Capsule box appeared on one of retailer ClubMac's product pages.

Article Link: Apple Updates Time Capsule to 1 TB and 2 TB Capacities

planethitsradio

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Thats a nice little upgrade. It's cool that Apple keeps the price points usually the same when they do the upgrade.

I have a 500gb, thats for Time Machine. The rest goes up on the QNAP NAS and the drives in the Mac Pro.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Thats a nice little upgrade. It's cool that Apple keeps the price points usually the same when they do the upgrade.

I have a 500gb, thats for Time Machine. The rest goes up on the QNAP NAS and the drives in the Mac Pro.

If the prices went up, then people would riot. Think about it, the price of the HDDs have gone down dramatically, so why wouldn't the complete package? ;)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
About time.

Still, I'd rather see an iTunes Server than 2TB Time Capsule..

planethitsradio

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Ottawa, ON
If the prices went up, then people would riot. Think about it, the price of the HDDs have gone down dramatically, so why wouldn't the complete package? ;)

Well, they could be like any other company, come out and say "Look NEW and improved, thats why you have to spend another $100".

I hate that!

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Bah! I've had a 2TB Time Capsule for ages... ;) http://is.gd/1UiJb

That's the end of the line for the Time Capsule as it stands, though. ISTR that 2TB is the most it's architecture can handle. Not that there's a 3TB HDD. Yet. :rolleyes:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The riots will begin soon from people who just bought the old models at the old prices . . .

I did just that on July 1st. Figured since the update it got at MacWorld was the first one in a year, we were stuck at these capacities/pricepoints for another year...go figure.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
wow the funny thing is i was looking at the apple store and didnt even notice the difference
wow i guess i forgot about the old sizes :D

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Awesome news!

I will be looking for 2Tb drive from September for use with TimeMachine...

This option all of a sudden became attractive :)

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Good to hear :) A couple of days I was thinking of getting a Time Capsule or a Airport Extreme, but I thought to hold back for a while as I thought the capacity of the Time Capsule would probably be upgraded anytime soon. Also, the 1TB price was too high for me (as you can get a 1TB external WD drive for about € 90,-). Also I want to upgrade my LAN to Gigabit LAN and as 5 port Gigabit switches still cost around € 50,- it's worth getting a Airport Extreme instead as it contains a 3 port Gigabit switch as well.

I already got a AE 802.11n and a AE 802.11b/g, but the n is US version which has different channels than my Dutch MBP, and the b/g is too slow ;) The Airport Extreme / Time Capsule currently have dual network (n AND b/g) which is a good feature as well :) The I can attach my AE's to my LAN for streaming audio only, or use them on the go :)

And I'd like to have a seperate Time Machine backup unit. Now I set up my linux box for Time Machine backup purposes...

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
You must be a Great time machine user to buy a 2 tb of the Time Capsule, God I have mine TM at 500 mb that's enough for me. hihih

When you have 5 Macs in the house all trying to back up, I think 2TB would be quite useful. I have a 1TB TC at the moment and its almost full, so we have offloaded one of the MacBooks to another external drive for backup.

2TB would also be handy for that extra bit of storage for excess media

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
I want one but it's just not the right time for me to spend that sorta dough on something along those lines.. Traveling around Europe, probably wouldn't be the best idea to take one of those to a hostile..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.