Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi folks,

My earpiece has stopped working. iPhone is out of warranty. Bought a replacement but can't find a guide on how to fit it.

Anyone provide any links to instructions, preferably with video/pictures?

Thanks,
David

EDIT: To clarify, this is for a 3G.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
If you're talking about the iPhone headest + mic, there is a warranty on it.

The iPhone provides a warranty for the headset, but buying the headset by itself also gives it a warranty.

If you still have the receipt/box, you can get a new pair. I've done this a few times because my headset has had problems/broke.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Is anyone actually reading my posts? I am not referring to the headset or USB cables. I am referring to the internal earpiece that you can hear the caller through during a call. This has died and my iPhone is out of warranty. I have a replacement part and I am looking for install instructions.

Thanks!

ant131531

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Is anyone actually reading my posts? I am not referring to the headset or USB cables. I am referring to the internal earpiece that you can hear the caller through during a call. This has died and my iPhone is out of warranty. I have a replacement part and I am looking for install instructions.

Thanks!

Wow, it would seem hard to install the speaker piece of the top of the phone as you would have to open up the whole phone inside out and then install it which is alot...i suggest going somewhere and getting someone to repair it or taking it back to apple. If it isnt your fault, then it should definately be taken back.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Wow, it would seem hard to install the speaker piece of the top of the phone as you would have to open up the whole phone inside out and then install it which is alot...i suggest going somewhere and getting someone to repair it or taking it back to apple. If it isnt your fault, then it should definately be taken back.

It's not hard. I've fixed iPhones plenty of times (LCD replacements/front panels ect). I have just never replaced the internal earpiece before.

It wasn't my fault, but the iPhone is out of warranty. It's as simple as that. I'm not willing to pay around £70 for someone to do something I know I can do and the part only costs $3. I'm just looking for a guide from someone who has done this already.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
It's not hard. I've fixed iPhones plenty of times (LCD replacements/front panels ect). I have just never replaced the internal earpiece before.

It wasn't my fault, but the iPhone is out of warranty. It's as simple as that. I'm not willing to pay around £70 for someone to do something I know I can do and the part only costs $3. I'm just looking for a guide from someone who has done this already.

did you check ifixit?

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Oh, the actual earpiece itself...

I'm at work right now, but I just google "iPhone replace earpiece" and about five different tutorials and videos showed up within the first page.

I can't really access them right now, but I'm sure you could do the same. Good luck with the iPhone.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Oh, the actual earpiece itself...

I'm at work right now, but I just google "iPhone replace earpiece" and about five different tutorials and videos showed up within the first page.

I can't really access them right now, but I'm sure you could do the same. Good luck with the iPhone.

Yes, I know how to use Google thanks.

I also tried searching (many times) and nothing comes up for the 3G. Googling your phrase may give results for the original iPhone but not the 3G.

jknights

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Oliva, Valencia, Spain
Yes, I know how to use Google thanks.

I also tried searching (many times) and nothing comes up for the 3G. Googling your phrase may give results for the original iPhone but not the 3G.

Found this topic which is more useful.
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9567805#post9567805

It mentions testing the speaker and it should be 30 ohms if it is OK but doesnt say what the resistance should be at the earpiece/speaker attachment point on the circuit board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.