Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
So I may be going to TN this weekend, where they are not charging sales tax this weekend (dont know why?).

My question is: Should I buy online and pay sales tax (7% Indiana) or buy in store in TN (no sales tax, as far as i know).

Will it affect me sending in my rebate for the ipod touch? I hear I have to send in my original receipt, which I am hesitant of. How would the rebate work if I bought it online?

I am planning on buying the 2.53 15" MBP and an 8GB ipod touch

Any advice?

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
So I may be going to TN this weekend, where they are not charging sales tax this weekend (dont know why?).

My question is: Should I buy online and pay sales tax (7% Indiana) or buy in store in TN (no sales tax, as far as i know).

Will it affect me sending in my rebate for the ipod touch? I hear I have to send in my original receipt, which I am hesitant of. How would the rebate work if I bought it online?

I am planning on buying the 2.53 15" MBP and an 8GB ipod touch

Any advice?

If it is in an apple store, you can get the receipts emailed to you, which will count as the original receipt. Therefore you are able to make multiple copies of the original receipt. Also a receipt isn't really worth anything if you get it in the Apple store anyway, since it is in their system anyway, for Applecare warranty purposes anyway.
I would suggest go for it, since you will save a bit of cash.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
It doesn't matter where you buy it or whether or not you pay sales tax.

Actually it does because I don't want to spend any more than a have to. But thank you for sharing your opinion.

If it is in an apple store, you can get the receipts emailed to you, which will count as the original receipt. Therefore you are able to make multiple copies of the original receipt. Also a receipt isn't really worth anything if you get it in the Apple store anyway, since it is in their system anyway, for Applecare warranty purposes anyway.
I would suggest go for it, since you will save a bit of cash.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I was just worried about not having a receipt for my purchase if I had to send it in for the rebate. I'll save like $128 by getting it tax free :D

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
Really? Are they doing anything to honor apples ipod touch promo?

WHOOPS! I totally disregarded that part of your post. No.

If you buy from Apple where tax is applied, remember you will have to pay tax on the iPod though and you will only get the retail value of the iPod back.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Actually it does because I don't want to spend any more than a have to. But thank you for sharing your opinion.

I think you misinterpreted what miles01110 was saying.

As far as the Apple is concerned they could give a flying fart whether you bought the Mac in Tennessee, Indiana or Cucamonga. As long as it is a US based store operated by Apple or an educational partner.

Apple said:
Purchase an Apple Computer, using Apple’s Education Individual discount, and a qualifying iPod from May 27, 2009, through September 8, 2009, and receive up to $229 via rebate (subject to
terms and conditions). Products must be purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, a U.S. Apple Retail Store, U.S. Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus
Store on the list at http://www.apple.com/promo/bts/participants.html (referred to as “Qualifying Locations”). Only purchases made in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia are eligible.
All shipments of Qualifying Products (defined below) must be made to an address in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Orders for Qualifying Products from the U.S. Apple
Online Store for Education Individuals or U.S. Apple Telesales that are placed during the above promotion period and ship after the offer ends are eligible.
Residents of Rhode Island and Connecticut who purchase in an Apple Retail Store in their state, or who order online or through Telesales with a credit card with a Connecticut or Rhode Island
billing address, receive an instant rebate and are not eligible for any additional rebate.

Full conditions (PDF link)

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX

Most of the time tax free weekend is for back to school items such as clothes and shoes etc. If that is the case it will not apply to computers or anything over $100. I suggest amazon or MacMall they seem to have good prices and free shipping

iGEORGIAban

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
yea pay the tax online, since your going to have to anyways. tax free is for computers etc up to 1500, so any 15in would not work even with student discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.