Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Spotify is such a great service... I really hope this app gets approved, but as others are saying, it seems doubtful that Apple would allow such a strong competitor to iTunes.

We'll have to wait and see. :cool:

This is a competitor to radio, not iTunes. iTunes is a competitor to CD purchases, not temp/rental music. Not first-level competitors, anyway.

ourjon

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
I'm not so sure its a competitor but more of an accompaniment though it's fair to say I have bought less from iTunes since I began listening to it. Spotify still makes you want to buy tracks from iTunes or other providers though. Maybe this would change with the advent of a Spotify iPhone App.

Many of you say you don't want to rent music and that you want to own it, yet who knows how people in years to come will want their music. I think many were surprised at how quickly the demise of vinyl occurred!

There is still very much a market for both owned and "rented".

invertedtwisted

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
The problem for me here is that I don't currently pay T-mobile for internet access on my iPhone. I always said that if Spotify made an iPhone app, that would probably convince me to do so. But with the Spotify app being for premium members only, it would mean I'd have to play £10 a month for the Spotify subscription, then £7.50 a month for my internet, which I reckon makes the whole thing too expensive for just Spotify. I doubt we'll see Spotify make the app available to free users though, as the app really is a good reason to go premium.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Well if you download the version for the Mac it doesn't get taken away if you don't pay because it's free.

First, why the hell does the name matter? No offense, but what kind of name is Leopard? I mean, why not call it iOperating-System? You know what I mean? It's a pointless name. /s

Also, you are not renting. It's a free service, so I don't see how it's renting. And yes, the word may offend someone. Why don't you just go into a preschool and shout mother****er? No one will care, they're only children. /s

For all of you who would like to know, Spotify doesn't mean anything in Swedish it is a made-up English name.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
120 GBP a year to listen to a few songs.. no thanks. I have Last FM on the iPhone that's as good as I need, and it's free.

You'd have to be a big iTunes user to think this is value, (I personally haven't paid a penny for a song on iTunes), or have been teleported from the early 90s when people went to HMV and bought CDs.

Come to think of it, do they even make good music anymore - nearly everything I listen to seems to be from the 70s and 80s, maybe a bit from the 90s..

They should come up with a catchier name than Spotify - it's weak and unappealing. Doesn't have to make sense, just not so.. zzzZZz

dog299

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
They should come up with a catchier name than Spotify - it's weak and unappealing. Doesn't have to make sense, just not so.. zzzZZz[/QUOTE]

i agree the name is not the best...still been hearing more and more about the service; i spend about £10 a month roughly on itunes this is something i am interested in.

The whole owning/hiring model does not concern me; after my hard drive failed itunes was uninterested in letting me download again so the notion of actual owning is almost a matter of opinion.

may give it go for a month and see...(hope :apple: and the nasty people at O2 allow this for the iPhone)

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
No reason for not being approved

If Pandora (free) and Sirius XM (paid) are on the app store, why shouldn't this be?

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
iTune killer? Apple already approved many subscription-based music apps (eg. KKBox..etc) in other countries. Spotify will not be the first.

I'm already using subscription music app KKBox and dumped iTune already. I cant remember when is the last time I opened my iTune (I'm still running OS 2.2) Thanks to AT&T's unlimited data plan, I have 4GB ~ 6GB data transfer every month on my iphone. My playlist has 7 days of music so it'll not sounded that boring. :D

Steve Job is not dumb. He knows if he approves Napster-like program here in the U.S for iphone, it'll kill the iTune music industry

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
If Pandora (free) and Sirius XM (paid) are on the app store, why shouldn't this be?

Pandora is random playing. Sirius XM is pre-compiled playlist. Subscription music (such as Napster) is play on demand. If you want to listen to Thriller 24 hrs a day by keep on repeating it on iPhone without buying the music, only subscription music allows you pick a song then play.

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Why does the name of a business matter???

Why does the name of a business matter???

I think someone IS in preschool!

Well if you download the version for the Mac it doesn't get taken away if you don't pay because it's free.

First, why the hell does the name matter? No offense, but what kind of name is Leopard? I mean, why not call it iOperating-System? You know what I mean? It's a pointless name. /s

Also, you are not renting. It's a free service, so I don't see how it's renting. And yes, the word may offend someone. Why don't you just go into a preschool and shout mother****er? No one will care, they're only children. /s

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
I've been playing about with Spotify for a few weeks now, and the selection of music is incredibly good, and growing all the time.

At the moment I don't have a premium subscription, but I will get one IF this app makes it onto the iTunes Store...

Apple approving it is a win-win, surely?

Steve and co. have no interest in the messiness of subscription based music 'rental', there are too many issues with end user confusion and dissatisfaction, not to mention an entirely different and potentially complicated set of agreements with the record companies. The lack of a subscription model on iTunes (and therefore the iPhone / Touch platform) is a potential weakness, albeit only in the eyes of a small percentage of people...

Spotify needs premium subscribers in order to make real money.

Killer App for the platform and the service, everyone makes a bit more cash and we get the option to download (for example) Elvis' entire back catalogue onto my phone on a whim, and then swap it out the next day, and the next... great for new stuff, finding new bands, checking out albums before buying them if you want to keep 'em.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Apple chasing on this one....

Hi all,

Gotta say this is one of the rare occasions when Apple is actually behind chasing something great.
Spotify is definitely an itunes killer...at least around hear and around my friends.
Spotify hs changed the way we listen to music, again at home. iTunes suddenly feels really old hat...

In Spotify, you can check out and listen to a bunch of stuff that you may not drop your cash on to own. An entire evening of obscure Jazz recordings when you are in the mood comes to mind...that I would not spend the cash on owning..
It's really a good thing...very cool. As long as you have an Internet connection ;-)

I would guess Apple could perhaps quite easily offer something similar via Itunes...(would not be surprised if they do) by allowing you a subscription to stream anything without downloading in iTunes.
We'll see, but again,, on this one Apple appear to be chasing..
YMMV FWIW etc etc...

best
jtm

Rob83

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I cant tell you how disappointed i would be if apple reject this!

But, it would replace the need for me to buy a song on the go, so will apple really do anything that could see them lose money?

jimmypowder

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
The way I see it,Apple should either come out with their own music streaming
service,which has been rumored for years or get out of the way and approve
Spotify.

My gut feeling is if they dont approve Spotify,they will soon come out with their
own streaming service in the fall.

If Apple isnt interested in music subscriptions,then by all means they should let
Napster,Rhapsody,Spotift,etc. onto their phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.