Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
If I buy os x snow leopard upgrade disk will it have all the files of the os so I can install it on an external drive (as a back up precaution as I have done with leopard) or, as the word "upgrade" suggests, will I just get the extra files that aren't in leopard? - like a program upgrade.
I realize nobody can know yet as is isn't quite out - but what did they do for leopard or tiger or the rest ? (I was working windows until a couple of months ago).

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want to be sure.

thanks for your help :apple:

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not entirely sure how they'll do it. (and since there's only been one GM version seeded to developers, no one probably knows for certain besides those at Apple)

It's entirely possible that it'll be a "good faith" thing like the Family license. So that even if you only have Tiger you could purchase the upgrade version (you'd just be breaking the EULA by doing so).

Then again, Apple may require you to boot the Upgrade disc from within Leopard.

I'd bet that all the discs (both the upgrade and the Box Set version) have the full OS on them, regardless of what Apple does with the upgrade version. As long as you are able to boot the Upgrade disc, I'd say you can install it however you like. (on a fresh external harddrive or whatever)

Think of it like a Windows upgrade. They just require verification (CD, serial, or current install) that you have a prior version of Windows. You can still install it however you like after that check, though.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
If I buy os x snow leopard upgrade disk will it have all the files of the os so I can install it on an external drive (as a back up precaution as I have done with leopard) or, as the word "upgrade" suggests, will I just get the extra files that aren't in leopard? - like a program upgrade.
I realize nobody can know yet as is isn't quite out - but what did they do for leopard or tiger or the rest ? (I was working windows until a couple of months ago).

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want to be sure.

thanks for your help :apple:

I dont know- but why would you install it as a back-up precaution- what does that help you do?

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I dont know- but why would you install it as a back-up precaution- what does that help you do?

I just don't like CDs as they can be scratched so easy so like to have my os on a flash drive or SD card something solid state anyway. I do quite alot of hacks on the system config so I need to always be sure that I have an os backup.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I just don't like CDs as they can be scratched so easy so like to have my os on a flash drive or SD card something solid state anyway. I do quite alot of hacks on the system config so I need to always be sure that I have an os backup.

makes sense- I never use the CD after installation- I thin I have pulled out an install cd/DVD only three times in the last ten years. I like stability and such- although I would love to have the time to hack and tweak things-

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
makes sense- I never use the CD after installation- I thin I have pulled out an install cd/DVD only three times in the last ten years. I like stability and such- although I would love to have the time to hack and tweak things-
yeah fair enough. I guess it is a kind of unusual thing to need to do but if I bought the upgrade disk then discovered that it only had half an os on it then I wouldn't be able to have the certainty that I can just start again from scratch if b****rd the system up with afaulty terminal hack.

I need it now since I am not yet so good in os x and am still getting rid of the nasty taste of windows. The main thing I use mac for is logic studio but I like mess around when I get the chance.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Solution: Buy an external drive to use with Time Machine (you should do that anyway), then make a small partition, probably 6 GB or so, and use Disk Utility to copy the installer disk to that partition. Now lock the disks away in a safe place. You can now boot straight from the partition on your Time Machine drive. And if things go wrong, you can restore back to 10.5.

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I know crasher - that is my point - that is exactly what I would do except that I use SSD flash drive so there is les risk of it going wrong. what I need to know (and it looks good from what I am hearing) is if when I get the snow leopard upgrade CD whether I get the whole package or just the new files that are different between Leo and S Leo

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Should I wait for Apple to fix Snow leopard bugs?

I am not sure whether, like vista was when it came out with loads of bugs, whether it wouldn't be better to wait for apple to fix these possible bugs before buying it as I am very happy with leopard - the only thing is I am eligable (cos of the time I got my mac) to get Snow leo for just £6.09. Will that offer run out? after a few weeks?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I am not sure whether, like vista was when it came out with loads of bugs, whether it wouldn't be better to wait for apple to fix these possible bugs before buying it as I am very happy with leopard - the only thing is I am eligable (cos of the time I got my mac) to get Snow leo for just £6.09. Will that offer run out? after a few weeks?

I just ordered my MacBook Pro last night intentionally before snow comes out- that way I can use the current OS until the bugs get worked out- Being elligible for the $9.95 upgrade makes that an easy choice. However, I will buy the upgrade right when it comes out just to have the disc's just in case they don't do the special upgrade price- but I won't install it until they work the bugs out after at least two revisions.

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Nice solution! I think I will try that

BENI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Will Snow leopard really be much smaller than leopard?

I have seen in some places that SL is 5GB and some that say it's only 3 or even just over 1. how the hell are any of them right? Arn't they all just way to small to have extra features over leopard and be a whole OS aswell?

how big is it really cos I'm pretty confused?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
The apple site linked above shows this-

This program ends December 26, 2009. Your completed order form must be postmarked or faxed within 90 days of the date of your purchase of a qualifying computer or Xserve (described in this offer) or by December 26, 2009, whichever is earlier.

What gives- I guess if you ordered your computer June 8th you MUST order snow leopard (postmarked or faxed) on Sept. 8th since that is exactly 90 days? I am confused- this seems like people better be on the ball and order quickly if you purchased your computer in June.

Also, So I can safely assume the release date for Snow leopard as Sept. 8th- which is a Tues. since that is 90 days past the date in the uptodate program?

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have seen in some places that SL is 5GB and some that say it's only 3 or even just over 1. how the hell are any of them right? Arn't they all just way to small to have extra features over leopard and be a whole OS aswell?

how big is it really cos I'm pretty confused?

Instead of taking some 3 hours to install

it will take 3 minutes.:D

snow leopard is faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D with a less amount of carbon foot print on my macbook!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.