Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
About a month or two ago, I posted here asking if it were possible to make an iTunes server.

I did so, moving the whole family's music collection to a PowerMac G4 I picked up. It was a great decision. Our things are no longer scattered among various computers.

Here's the guide I wrote, if you don't already know how. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• Setup an iTunes Sever OS X.pdf
    34.5 KB · Views: 19,925

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The update script is killer. I have been looking for something along those lines for a while......

Thank you very much.

The only suggestion I can make is to include some screen shots.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I was a little lazy and didn't put screenshots in. I'll be sure to add them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And you can always schedule the script using iCal or Lingon. I prefer to run it manually.

nyquist11

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Is there anyway to have a client computer in a different network (ie vacation house) but still get the music on it? If I were to do this I would like to make sure the computers are still secured. Also if I went out of my network like on a plane flight it would still work right? Thank You... I have been looking for this for some time.:apple::apple:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Is there anyway to have a client computer in a different network (ie vacation house) but still get the music on it? If I were to do this I would like to make sure the computers are still secured. Also if I went out of my network like on a plane flight it would still work right? Thank You... I have been looking for this for some time.:apple::apple:

You might be able to get the music remotely if you setup the server as an FTP server. If you mean playing the music on a plane, then yes, that works as long as the music is on the player.

Good guide. I might try that once I get a spare computer, does this work on Windows PCs too or just Macs?

This works on Windows and Mac. I'll do a Windows version if you like. Just say so.

I haven't used Windows as the OS on the server, but most of my server's clients are Windows. IMO, once the setup is done, Windows, at least as a client, is much easier.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Sorry I haven't posted the Windows version yet. A bunch of stuff has popped up. I'll definitely post it within a week though.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Sorry about the Windows version. I'm not making one, but I'll tell you it's exactly the same, except you've got to do the file sharing in Control Panel (I'm sure there's something about that in Help and Support) and you need to do the "Map Network Drive" thing, which is very easy.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I just have on login my machines auto mount the Music drive on my networked PowerMac and have that as the location of my Library. I might try out the sharing to for-go the auto mount, because when iTunes launches and the drive isn't mounted iTunes wants to create a new library.

But I have my iPhone syncing with the library, can you do syncing with music on a shared library?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Sorry about the Windows version. I'm not making one, but I'll tell you it's exactly the same, except you've got to do the file sharing in Control Panel (I'm sure there's something about that in Help and Support) and you need to do the "Map Network Drive" thing, which is very easy.

Sorry to hear that... but thank you for the quick tip and the original file!

iceman575

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
iTunes 10?

Is there an update to this thread using iTunes 10 and home sharing? I am very interested in doing this as I have 4 mac computers and would love to free up drive space on three of them and just connect them to my server's iTunes storage. I am also a dolt when it comes to stuff like this, so I appreciate any help, even if it is "Yeah, dude, home sharing is the silver bullet and here is how you flip the one switch that makes it do what you want." Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.