Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Are you a podcast recorder?? Please tell me your setup : ) !!!

I am telling you mine with the hope that if you see any weaknesses in it you may want to comment on them : ) !!!

My podcasts only record voice and I may add a bit of music in the background.

ibook G4

I may buy a USB microphone from the following list:

A simple but with quality recording software like Garage Band or Audacity.
If you know of another software you may want to recommend. I doesn't
have to be so simple, as I am looking for quality in the recording. So it's ok if I learn to use another software.

A post recording software to clean the hiss. I get quite a bit of hiss on the recording itself, when people are talking on the recording. Perhaps you know of a good software to clean the hiss) ???

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
You mentioned Audacity, which I think is a good choice. There's an adaptive noise filter in there that is really handy for hiss removal: you select a silent region (where it's only hiss) and take a profile, then you can pull out hiss from the entire recording.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
A post recording software to clean the hiss. I get quite a bit of hiss on the recording itself, when people are talking on the recording. Perhaps you know of a good software to clean the hiss) ???

post-production cleanup will never work as well as not recording the problem in the first place. how bad is this hiss? what's causing it?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
You might want to get a decent but cheap USB interface along with a decent condenser mic, or perhaps something like the Blue Snowball. That's a kit with the mini stand. It'll have a lot better sound quality with no hiss than a mic plugged into the Mac's audio input, or worse, the built-in microphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.