Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:20 PM   #301
hansolo79
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreat01 View Post
Dang...and what will happen to all my contacts that are on the phone and not the sim card?
Do a backup
hansolo79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:27 PM   #302
DaGreat01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo79 View Post
Do a backup
But if i back it up, its going to save all the ATT 5.0 stuff.
DaGreat01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:42 PM   #303
fleeper
macrumors 6502

When I go to "Network", I do not see the "cellular Data Network" option that the OP is referring to. I just have listed the following: Enable 3G, Data Roaming, Internet tethering, VPN, and Wi-Fi.

Where will I find "cellular Data Network"?

Thanks.
fleeper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:52 PM   #304
meagain
macrumors 68020

Oh. I didn't realize one needed another AT&T phone with MMS capability. Gosh - I was all prepared to do this tonight. Well, good luck to you all!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:11 PM   #305
Advil
macrumors 6502a

i got my opt out code removed... but now my mms option isnt there. it still works with tethering and says i have att 5.0 but the camera icon and the option to mms in my pictures isn't there... how do i get it back? i tried re-applying the ipcc and restarting but nothing
Advil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:54 PM   #306
dhkosta
macrumors newbie

I don't understand. I have had a family messaging plan for months, I have a modified IPCC file installed with all the messaging settings correct, and MMS still won't work. I can get it online for half an hour or so with a SIM swap, but that's no way to operate all the time. The issue has to be on AT&T's end. Would it help to drop the family plan and add it again using a different device? Or is snooper going to nip me either way? Is there any way to trick the system into thinking I'm using a different device?
dhkosta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:42 PM   #307
digbyp
macrumors regular

fyi

O2 has threatened to disconnect anyone using tethering, as it will be in breach of their contract. “Any use of this particular feature without the purchase of the bolt-on is specifically prohibited under our terms of service,” O2 said. “Under those terms, we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them.”

Full article here http://www.macworld.com/article/1412...roducts_iphone
digbyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:14 PM   #308
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Is there an ipcc that enables Tethering and doesn't break VVM operating on wap.cingular? I couldn't care less about MMS, but I'd love to be able to tether in a pinch.

I installed an ipcc off of cnet.com and it broke VVM (I don't like the idea of changing the VM address from wap.cingular -- seems it makes it too easy for AT&T to catch you)

Anyone come across such an ipcc?

Edit: nevermind, the benm worked great. I like how it doesn't change the carrier version from 4.0. VVM is still working too. From what I can tell it's sending everything over wap.cingular -- i'm using the standard AT&T one from that site. Unless he changed the AT&T mobileconfig to go over acds.voicemail?

Last edited by MBHockey; Jun 22, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
MBHockey is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:02 PM   #309
island
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to island
For those not on the Family Unlimited plan, you have to do quite a bit of social engineering to get this to happen to enable MMS 100% of the time. Check out the pic and go look at your account and see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMS.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	178522  
island is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:04 PM   #310
DisposableHero
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by island View Post
For those not on the Family Unlimited plan, you have to do quite a bit of social engineering to get this to happen to enable MMS 100% of the time. Check out the pic and go look at your account and see the difference.
thats how mine is and mms doesnt work

edit: actually i just went to look again and it was changed back to the iphone messaging!

Last edited by DisposableHero; Jun 22, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
DisposableHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:40 AM   #311
dhkosta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by island View Post
But I am on the family unlimited plan, and MMS still doesn't work. And what do you mean by social engineering? What do I have to do?
dhkosta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:26 PM   #312
nyekon
macrumors newbie

There are daily system sweeps to disable MMS on iPhones that are enabled for MMS. You can re enabled it, but to be honest, after having to re enable mine everyday I got tired of it. I'll wait. I'm sure this is the reason why they do the daily system sweep, eventually people will get tired of enabling it. There is no permanent way to enable MMS. If someones says they do, they are lying. Even if you have family messaging, or messaging unlimited (not iPhone), the system sweeps still know you're using an iPhone and disable your access to MediaNet (which is required for MMS) Go to att.com/mymedianet put in your phone number, using your iPhone and you will get the message that your phone is not supported. The system sweeps change nothing in account account settings, and nothing is changed in snooper either. If you have friends and family that work for Mobility I wouldn't recommend having them make changes in the billing system or snooper. AT&T sent out a warning to employees that MMS on iPhone is not to be enabled for any iPhone. They are risking their job otherwise.
nyekon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:36 AM   #313
FastangV6
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyekon View Post
There are daily system sweeps to disable MMS on iPhones that are enabled for MMS. You can re enabled it, but to be honest, after having to re enable mine everyday I got tired of it.
When you say "re enable" you mean going thru the process of putting your SIM into another MMS capable AT&T phone and re-registering it with medianet?
FastangV6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:53 PM   #314
luv2hum
macrumors regular

installed benm.....then uninstalled....confused

i installed the file from benm and got the internet tethering working, but i noticed my vvm was acting weird so i uninstalled it. i clicked on remove and it was gone, but the internet tethering option is still there....what does this mean? i really regret installing the benm especially becauase it still did not give me the mms i was hoping it would. but now i think i just want to make sure it is totally gone, and if it is then why is internet tethiring still an option..
please advise...
thanks
luv2hum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:49 PM   #315
FastangV6
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hum View Post
i installed the file from benm and got the internet tethering working, but i noticed my vvm was acting weird so i uninstalled it. i clicked on remove and it was gone, but the internet tethering option is still there....what does this mean? i really regret installing the benm especially becauase it still did not give me the mms i was hoping it would. but now i think i just want to make sure it is totally gone, and if it is then why is internet tethiring still an option..
please advise...
thanks
Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

Change the APN for voicemail from wap.cingular to acds.voicemail and then you're visual voicemail should work again. BTW, a quick search of the forums would've revealed this. This fix is in at least 4-5 other threads.
FastangV6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:07 PM   #316
jacobgaul
Banned

how the hell is your unlimited family text only $20?!!!
jacobgaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:06 AM   #317
luv2hum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastangV6 View Post

Change the APN for voicemail from wap.cingular to acds.voicemail and then you're visual voicemail should work again. BTW, a quick search of the forums would've revealed this. This fix is in at least 4-5 other threads.
I no longer have cellular data network as an option. I also do not know where it went but it's not under general or any other settings. Any ideas?
luv2hum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:17 AM   #318
HYPEBEAST!
macrumors newbie

Does anyone have trouble doing a Group text now?

Instead of a regular Group SMS, it changes to Group MMS when I type in more than one contact; my friends/family who own iPhones without MMS installed do not receive my text.

Any ideas..?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:36 AM   #319
odysseus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyplace View Post
I rebuilt an IPCC with MMS, Tethering, and voicemail working by changing the typemask to -3, not -2. This sets the voicemail 'address' to what is set by the carrier bundle (acds.voicemail).

http://bit.ly/15EQv0
What I'd like to know is whether installing an .ipcc file is necessary. What about just using the carrier configuration files from a site such as http://help.benm.at/?
odysseus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:24 AM   #320
Bossone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hum View Post
I no longer have cellular data network as an option. I also do not know where it went but it's not under general or any other settings. Any ideas?
Would some one please help those of us who don't have cellular data network as an option? I had tethering and then I hook it up it disappears.

HELP!!!!!
Bossone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:42 AM   #321
meagain
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastangV6 View Post

I have a 3GS on 3.0. I want to remove this entirely.
I can't find "cellular data network" option, or "profile", etc. Nor any place to change the APN as stated above.

My husband's voicemail never worked with this so I need to remove it. OR find where I can change the APN as above.
If anyone can help, I'd be appreciative. I've searched & searched.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone