Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I have that same model, it won't work with a 3G or 3GS. It charges via the FireWire charging pins/circuitry.

With the introduction of the iPhone 3G model (4G nano and iPod Touch models have this limitation as well now, probably the newest iPod Classics too), Apple removed the ability to charge over FireWire...rendering all the accessories from past generations useless for charging.

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
A little bit of extra info:

I have heard that if you are using a product to charge your apple device that was not made by apple that it would not be warranted if it would short in the device while charging. I am not 100% on this but I have always charged my Apple products with an Apple charging device just in case.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Belkin is not a "generic" brand for iPod accessories despite the thread's title.

I've never had an issue with their stuff (car/wall chargers)

dlemmon

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
denver, co
How will they know?

A little bit of extra info:

I have heard that if you are using a product to charge your apple device that was not made by apple that it would not be warranted if it would short in the device while charging. I am not 100% on this but I have always charged my Apple products with an Apple charging device just in case.

I'm sure apple chargers are also capable of surging or shorting out the iphone. I don't think they can tell what device was being used to charge it prior to the short.

AforAndromeda

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
UK
Getting a 3gs and I have an old Ipod car charger. Its probably 4-5 years old and is made by belkin. It is all white with a small fuse in the plug in port. I was wondering if it would be safe to use as a car charger for a 3gs? It doesnt list any specific voltages on the actual charger so that's why I was curious..

BTW here is the charger http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mobile-Power-Connector-White/dp/B0001J3Q9W

Another option is to buy a cigar lighter charger that just does 2 USB slots.

This means that although you can't connect to the car stereo until charged, it can not only do your iPod/iPhone but other stuff as well.

cammy239

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Firewire cables

Any idea how to obtain a firewire cable so I can charge my old apple 8g
it ceased charging on the usb around the date of the launch of the 3g

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.