Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Hi,

Is there any free monitor calibration software for mac?

Thanks

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Well the reason I need to calibrate my monitor is because I'm constantly editing photos and I have heard that I need to calibrate my monitor to get better results when printing your photos.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well the reason I need to calibrate my monitor is because I'm constantly editing photos and I have heard that I need to calibrate my monitor to get better results when printing your photos.

Yes, we get that, once again- is there something wrong with the calibration utility built into the OS?

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Yes, we get that, once again- is there something wrong with the calibration utility built into the OS?

No, but what if he/she doesn't want to use that or is looking for a different program that might be better. I have trouble with the mac osx one when trying to do it for externals. Try supercal.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Forget about software calibration, you want a hardware calibration tool. Get a Color Spyder, Hueys have a history of pink problems. I got mine for $65, it's not expensive.

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Forget about software calibration, you want a hardware calibration tool. Get a Color Spyder, Hueys have a history of pink problems. I got mine for $65, it's not expensive.

Is Spyder good? Did you get good results?

Thanks

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Is Spyder good? Did you get good results?
Yes, it has had a very big impact and I have gotten far, far better results than with OS X' built-in software calibration. It actually measures the gamut (= the space of displayable colors) and particularly skin tones look very different after calibration.

You can see the difference quite clearly between a notebook lcd and a decent flatscreen.

My first-gen 2 GHz ProBook:
ProBook.jpg

My old desktop lcd (a Samsung Syncmaster 213T):
Syncmaster.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sypder 3.0 pro is well received. I'd recommend using a hardware/software solution over just trying to manually calibrate the monitor, especially if you're trying to nail down color accuracy for your photos.

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
maflynn,

Wow! You stole my logo (the apple with the Ubuntu logo). I will show you the one I created which is the one I use in all the forums I go to, except this one, I'm not allow to use avatars.

I can’t believe it, it’s nice.

Here it is take a look

Thanks

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Definitely get a hardware calibrator like others have said. But DO NOT get the Huey, i bought one in Hong Kong, and the whites are pink(light pink). I got a replacement and the same thing ocurred. I finally bought a spyder pro 3, and extremely happy with it. You won't regret buying one!

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008

Is this the Spyder2express version?

Thanks

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Is this the Spyder2express version?
Yes, that's what I have. The software has an artificial limitation to only calibrate one screen, but you can easily circumvent that. By calibrating one screen at a time and renaming the profile after each calibration (both, file name and name of profile in ColorSync Utility).

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Has anybody had any problems calibrating with the spyder 2 express on their MBP's? Whenever I tried to do mine in a very dark environment it always gave a nasty red/pink tint to it that was clearly visible?

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Yea that is the spyder2 express price range. Just please do not get the Huey, or you will be sorry!
I hope I ordered the right one. This is the one I ordered last night, I hope it is no the one you are talking about (Huey).

Thanks

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Now to have a better understanding of what I will be getting.

1- Is this a piece of software that will be permanently connected to my monitor or can this be removed after calibration?

2- Is this the same retailer you got it from? If yes, how fast was the shipping?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
maflynn,

Wow! You stole my logo (the apple with the Ubuntu logo). I will show you the one I created which is the one I use in all the forums I go to, except this one, I'm not allow to use avatars.

I can’t believe it, it’s nice.

Here it is take a look

Thanks

I like mine better ;) Good work on your logo though it does look nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.