Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Marina del Rey, CA
Hello guys,
is there a way to check out if my apps need Rosetta?
With the upcoming release of Snow Leopard I'd like to be sure I still need Rosetta before upgrading my machines.

Thanks

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Im not sure but I think in the [Get Info] screen, under KIND: if it says Application (PowerPC) then I think you need Rosetta installed. If they are all KIND: Application (Intel) or (Universal) I think you'll be ok without Rosetta.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just check 'System Profiler' —> Software —> Applications.

It lists if any apps are Universal, PowerPC or Intel; if it's PowerPC (oppose to Intel or Universal) you need Rosetta. Or see if those apps have updated versions that are universal.

macsig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Marina del Rey, CA
I'm sorry but I don't understand where I have to look.

Moreover, if it is possible I'd like a way to check out all my apps together.
Since I have dozens of apps in each machine it will take awhile to check "manually" each application.

Thanks

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I also read that Office Mac 2008 requires Rosetta for the installer only. However, Sl will prompt if you want to install Rosetta if it sees any need for it.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
So it will check it out for me. it this correct?
Yes. If you attempt to install or run an app that requires Rosetta and it is not already installed, SL will prompt you to install it. It is a very quick download and install process (all automatic after you give the OK). For example, if you have Office 2004 installed and you upgrade to SL, on first boot SL will ask to install Rosetta, because Office 2004 loads a utility on boot that requires Rosetta.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Does this mean we will be able to uninstall rosetta as well?

I bought office 04 when circuit city closed (It was cheaper than iWorks 09, plus I was used to it at the time) but since going mac, I feel I should go all the way with it.

If I ever decide to dump office, which would be the main reason for rosetta, (That and visual novels ^^;;) could I uninstall it?
Why would you need to uninstall it? What harm is it doing if you don't use it?

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I saw a Snow Leopard installation screenshot, and Rosetta only seems to take up about 2.8MB. This is about the size of a small MP3 song. I too was questioning whether to install Rosetta, but after seeing its small size, I'm definitely going to. It's not like Rosetta will slow your machine down if you don't use it...

I'd say just install it. :)

Steve-M

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Just check 'System Profiler' —> Software —> Applications.

It lists if any apps are Universal, PowerPC or Intel; if it's PowerPC (oppose to Intel or Universal) you need Rosetta. Or see if those apps have updated versions that are universal.

Very interesting to see all the app that system profiler list as 64 bit intel. Most all of them on our system.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
When you see a program that still requires rosetta, it's a sign that it's time to move on...

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Does this mean we will be able to uninstall rosetta as well?

I bought office 04 when circuit city closed (It was cheaper than iWorks 09, plus I was used to it at the time) but since going mac, I feel I should go all the way with it.

If I ever decide to dump office, which would be the main reason for rosetta, (That and visual novels ^^;;) could I uninstall it?
Just drag the apps into the Trash :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.