Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ispeakmango

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
i've got some clips i've put into imovie and i want to remove the sound from them or maybe just make it lower so i can have music playing during it. is it possible to do this in imovie? what about qt pro?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I played in QuickTime Player (with QuickTime Pro) for a way to separate the video and audio tracks from each other in a test movie I had, and I was surprised to find that I didn't spot a way to do it, except for one silly choice: export it as Movie to Image Sequence, then import the frames back into a new movie. Ugh! I don't recommend that method. I recommend waiting for somebody who knows the answer to post!

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
ispeakmango said:
i've got some clips i've put into imovie and i want to remove the sound from them or maybe just make it lower so i can have music playing during it. is it possible to do this in imovie? what about qt pro?

in qt pro i think you do edit>>delete track>> then delete the audio track.

in imovie...not sure...try messing around with "extract audio"

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Yup... really easy in iMovie. You extract the audio (under the advanced menu I think) and it creates a new audio clip with the audio from the movie clip. You can then either adjust its volume, or just delete it completely.

Cheers!

James

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
I might be missing something but

I do this all the time in iMovie, if that is I understand what you are trying to do. First off you could just mute the whole thing, and add music to one of the available audio tracks. Second you can manipulate the volume of any clip(s). Just highlight the clip in the timeline and go up to the Advanced drop down menu and select "Extract Audio". Then switch over to the timeline viewer and the audio will be on one of the audio tracks. From there you can edit the audio volume or delete it completely. I hope I am understanding what you need..

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
NP3 said:
in qt pro i think you do edit>>delete track>> then delete the audio track.
That's the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I had only one track, named "MPEG1 Muxed Track" and deleting it removed both the audio and the video, leaving me with an empty movie.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Doctor Q said:
That's the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I had only one track, named "MPEG1 Muxed Track" and deleting it removed both the audio and the video, leaving me with an empty movie.
That's because a "muxed" file has the audio and video tracks intertwined. If you want to separate the two tracks, you'll need to use something like bbDemux or MoreMissingTools. QT Pro won't do this for you.

Coincidentally, if you just want the video for use in iMovie and don't care about the sound, you can just import the mpg file into the clips pane in iMovie. iMovie will strip the audio out for you automatically.

mwinnick

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Removing Sound from MOV file

My digital camera takes movies in MOV format. I want to create my own DVD's with the MOV's I take in the camera. The problem is that I want to remove any and all sounds recorded by the camera (it unfortunately has a noisy zoom motor too) and do my own post production narration and music track adds.

So, how can I copy, or whatever, the MOV file to a new one but minus any sound?

And, I need to do this on a PC in Windows, not on a MAC.

deceptichop

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
hmmm, the Youtube clip has been removed. Ive had no success removing audio from QTPro.......UNTIL! I brought the .mov file into Visual Hub. In visual hub, I clicked the advanced tab, then lowered the volume to zero. Re-saved the file again, then all good!

ocsurfreport

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
Remove sound from video or remove video from sound...

Remove sound from video or remove video from sound...

Quicktime pro 7... Not sure if the snow leopard works the same..

Go to --> window --> Show movie Properties

In the Movie Properties window you will see a form table and 2 check boxes under Enabled .. 1 for Video track and 1 for Sound track. Check the one you want, for example you want only the video so check that. You will see 2 buttons on the top left corner of the Movie Properties window become available. The Extract or delete button.

From there I usually hit the Extract button and quicktime makes me a new movie in a separate window with the extracted part I want (Video or Soundtrack).

Hope this helps..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.