Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone buy an adapter from them?

I need a second for my Air. They sell something they call an Apple adapter for $45. vs. about $78 elsewhere.

In these matters I am always inclined to buy original equipment.

thanks for advice.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Yes aviod.

My mate brought one and it was a cheap hong kong knock off.

Only worked for about a month

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Anyone buy an adapter from them?

I need a second for my Air. They sell something they call an Apple adapter for $45. vs. about $78 elsewhere.

In these matters I am always inclined to buy original equipment.

thanks for advice.

I bought an OEM off ebay for $26.50 (free shipping). The average price for an OEM on ebay is $36, and if they have a warranty, even better.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I had wonderful luck with macwizards.com. Recently, my ibook cord that I bought from them stopped working. It had been over a year though so I was out of their warranty. I gave it a shot and contacted them and they replaced it :) They may have macbook air adapters.

JasG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks so much everyone. Although I didn't see any ebay when I just check, I'll check again and if I can't find one I'll shell out the $79. But I really appreciate the help from all of you.

Cardinalsin

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this needs to be said...

I don't know if anybody will read this, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I bought from this seller and was very pleased. My inquiries were quickly and honestly answered, and the product I received was exactly as described. The adapter (85w Magsafe) was indeed a genuine apple product, and it only cost me (even after shipping) half of what the Apple store charged. Apparently, this company takes chargers and refurbishes them. You wouldn't know it by looking at mine though, as it appears to be brand new.

As for the link to the Amazon storefront with poor reviews, it appears that generic comments about the Magsafe adapters in general are being dumped onto their site. If you do a little research, you'll see that the compiled comments are referring to a handful of different sellers. While some of those sellers may be peddling fakes, this company is not. They're the real deal.

Finally, if you absolutely do not want to use this seller, you should know that you can buy the cord without the thick extension (in other words, the same product this seller is advertising) from the Genius Bar for $61. Hope you all find what you're looking for.

cjacks68

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I don't know if anybody will read this, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I bought from this seller and was very pleased. My inquiries were quickly and honestly answered, and the product I received was exactly as described. The adapter (85w Magsafe) was indeed a genuine apple product, and it only cost me (even after shipping) half of what the Apple store charged. Apparently, this company takes chargers and refurbishes them. You wouldn't know it by looking at mine though, as it appears to be brand new.

As for the link to the Amazon storefront with poor reviews, it appears that generic comments about the Magsafe adapters in general are being dumped onto their site. If you do a little research, you'll see that the compiled comments are referring to a handful of different sellers. While some of those sellers may be peddling fakes, this company is not. They're the real deal.

Finally, if you absolutely do not want to use this seller, you should know that you can buy the cord without the thick extension (in other words, the same product this seller is advertising) from the Genius Bar for $61. Hope you all find what you're looking for.

Another suspicious one-time poster commenting on how great a store is.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Rule No. 38 of Veinticinco's Mac Buying Guide...

"ALWAYS pay for genuine OEM power chargers from reliable retail sources. Saving $20-40 on a generic doesn't seem like such a great deal when you're watching a team of firemen trying to douse the inferno engulfing your house"

Cardinalsin

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Another suspicious one-time poster commenting on how great a store is.

To Cjacks68.

I figured something like this would get said. If I were looking at it from your angle, I'd be suspicious too. But I can assure you I'm not a plant or a plug. I'm a long time reader of macrumors, but this was my first time posting. I'm like that with pretty much all forums. I found the site about a year ago when I bought my first mac. It helped convince me to wait until the big refresh happened on the Macbook Pro's last September before buying. I waited until the new ones came out and bought an old one. Best financial decision I've made in a while. So the forums were helpful to me then, and I'm just trying to return the favor. I know the apple store price on the magsafe's sucks. I had to buy two in less than month, as my new puppy ate through both (you think I would have learned after the first). I bought the first one for 20 bucks from a guy I knew who had an extra. I wasn't so lucky the second time, so I bought from the macbookadapter.com. I was nervous doing it, but ended up happy. Again, as I said in my first message, if you don't want to buy from them but want to save money, you should talk to the Genius Bar about buying just the cord without the extension. Easy way to save 20 bucks. Of course, not everyone lives around a store...I'm fortunate to have 2 within 20 miles. Anyway, I just wanted to clear the air on the questioned website. You can choose to believe me or not, it's cool either way. I def. understand why you would be wary....I doubt there's anything I can say that would ease those concerns. Sorry for the long post.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico

"ALWAYS pay for genuine OEM power chargers from reliable retail sources. Saving $20-40 on a generic doesn't seem like such a great deal when you're watching a team of firemen trying to douse the inferno engulfing your house"

Are tue other 37 rules available? :cool:

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Are tue other 37 rules available? :cool:
What makes you think I stopped at 38? ;)

For example, No.73 is...

"Would you ask your local Audi dealer to completely encapsulate your $50,000 new car with a 3-inch thick tinted polycarbonate plastic shell just to protect your paintwork? Either a large number of MacBook/Pro/Air owners are stupid or Speck Inc. are geniuses who employ goat-staring, Jedi-mind trick masters who masquerade as sales reps."

If I divulged any more it might damage my forthcoming publication, so please don't ask as refusal often offends :D

lee50539310

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
China
interesting to find macbookadapter information from here.

I worked in a company supply some adapters to this company. So far as I know, most adapters they sold are genuine.

You could find some way to differentiate, like the serial no., MV means made by Delta. If you see MV but the manufacturer is Liteon or Samsung, be careful.

jessischultz

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
I ordered from them and am not pleased

I am only posting about this because the company pissed me off and I wanted to write a product review on their website but I could not find a place to do it.

I ordered from them to save a few bucks. I did not need to extension cord, only the adapter part because my puppy chewed it. I knew it was a refurb but after looking around, this seemed like a good option. So I selected the item I needed (45w magsafe2 for new macbook air 3013). The description said exactly that. I paid for expedited 2 day shipping. First disappointment was that it took over a week to get to my house. I was upset since I needed this to charge my laptop and work but I could see it was the post office's fault. They lag lately. Macbook refunded part of my shipping cost so all good. The big bummer was that I got the wrong product. It was a 65w instead of 45w and it was in crappy condition. All scratched up and definitely had some miles on it. It was not close to new for a 2013 macbook air plus it was much larger in size which is not good since I bought the macbook air because I like the smaller size and weight for travel. I emailed the guy (Leonard) and he explained that it will still work. I said fine but your product description didn't say you would send a 65w magsafe1, it said 45w magsafe2 so I ordered one from Apple already because I need it right away and didn't want to risk damaging my computer. I want what I ordered. He then gave me an attitude and replied in a rude way and said, fine, return it then.

I promptly mailed it back and a month later realized I never had been refunded so I had to contact the rude guy again. He promptly refunded me after that but it was short a few bucks. At this point I don't give a damn and he can keep the extra few bucks but all in all, I feel the company is shady and would never order anything from them again.

First of all, if you are going to offer two day shipping, use fedex for crying out loud!
Second, send what you are advertising, exactly, or call the customer to confirm.
Third, offer better prices. A used, scratched up adapter without the extension cord for $50 bucks is a rip off.
Fourth, Don't be a jerk about refunding and returns. I should not have to hound them for the money. Most people would probably forget to check their cc bill and would get ripped off for the whole amount.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia

True. I bought a set of headphones that were a $3 knockoff and I got about $3 of value from them.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I am only posting about this because the company pissed me off and I wanted to write a product review on their website but I could not find a place to do it.

I ordered from them to save a few bucks. I did not need to extension cord, only the adapter part because my puppy chewed it. I knew it was a refurb but after looking around, this seemed like a good option. So I selected the item I needed (45w magsafe2 for new macbook air 3013). The description said exactly that. I paid for expedited 2 day shipping. First disappointment was that it took over a week to get to my house. I was upset since I needed this to charge my laptop and work but I could see it was the post office's fault. They lag lately. Macbook refunded part of my shipping cost so all good. The big bummer was that I got the wrong product. It was a 65w instead of 45w and it was in crappy condition. All scratched up and definitely had some miles on it. It was not close to new for a 2013 macbook air plus it was much larger in size which is not good since I bought the macbook air because I like the smaller size and weight for travel. I emailed the guy (Leonard) and he explained that it will still work. I said fine but your product description didn't say you would send a 65w magsafe1, it said 45w magsafe2 so I ordered one from Apple already because I need it right away and didn't want to risk damaging my computer. I want what I ordered. He then gave me an attitude and replied in a rude way and said, fine, return it then.

I promptly mailed it back and a month later realized I never had been refunded so I had to contact the rude guy again. He promptly refunded me after that but it was short a few bucks. At this point I don't give a damn and he can keep the extra few bucks but all in all, I feel the company is shady and would never order anything from them again.

First of all, if you are going to offer two day shipping, use fedex for crying out loud!
Second, send what you are advertising, exactly, or call the customer to confirm.
Third, offer better prices. A used, scratched up adapter without the extension cord for $50 bucks is a rip off.
Fourth, Don't be a jerk about refunding and returns. I should not have to hound them for the money. Most people would probably forget to check their cc bill and would get ripped off for the whole amount.

Personally I would have sold the puppy, just saying! /s

If you paid with a credit card, there is a beautiful thing called a charge back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.