Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
I am looking at upgrading my ol' G4 Quicksilver and am looking at HD's.

I am currently running the original 40GB drive which now only has about 4GB left of open space.

Nonetheless, I am looking for something to help with speed, performance and obviously more storage.

I was reccommended a Western Digital 160GB Caviar SE Ultra ATA 7200rpm Desktop Hard Drive for $99 by the guy at the store.

Any insight, experience, comments appreciated.

My budget for the HD would be no more then $100-$150

Thanks!

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I don't know what model Quicksilver you have, but I do know that some older Mac's have a 128GB HDD max. What processor do you have in your QS? If you have the 2002 model (933MHz or DP 1GHz) you can add any IDE HDD, with no restrictions. The Western Digital that you have will be fine, but I would recommend buying it from Newegg, as the price is much less than what you have posted--->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136112

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
I don't know what model Quicksilver you have, but I do know that some older Mac's have a 128GB HDD max. What processor do you have in your QS? If you have the 2002 model (933MHz or DP 1GHz) you can add any IDE HDD, with no restrictions. The Western Digital that you have will be fine, but I would recommend buying it from Newegg, as the price is much less than what you have posted--->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136112

hey, thanks a lot for the link! I have a 2001, 733mhz with 1.25GB SDRAM...I assumed the drive would be ok since the tech guy at the mac store advised it for my comp?

EDIT: I just noticed there is a slight difference between the 2 drives, the one he listed has an interface of "SE Ultra" and series is just "Caviar" and the one in the link has an interface of "IDE Ultra" and series "Caviar Blue" other then that, they look identical...what does this difference mean? Would it still work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.