Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
I've been waiting for someone on XLR8YourMac to post details of a Pismo they've upgraded to PL's 1Ghz G3, it's been available for around 2-3 weeks now so i thought someone would have taken the plunge. I'm hoping that doubling the Clock speed of my 500mhz Pizmo & a increase of 5x the L2 cache speed (Of the original Pismo) will give the pismo some serious performance advantage. Has anyone upgraded yet that can share info on temperature, benchmarks, etc.?

Thanks

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
$399...... Hopefully that price should come down though. Powerlogix said that the increase in price was due to the 750GX CPU's being around $50-$60 more expensive to purchase from IBM over the 750FX (Used in G3 Ibooks).

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
I've been wondering how it performs as well.

I'd really like to get the 500 MHz G4, just because I do things here and there with Final Cut Pro and Photoshop, so Altivec would obviously help, but I don't know if Altivec would really help THAT much, compared to a 1 GHz G3.

And, I can get the G4 upgrade cheaper.

Then I always go back to deciding that I don't wanna pour money into it when I could just save the cash and get a new PowerBook later.

But, if anyone gets any info on how it performs, I'd love to know what they think.

enoch

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
The only issue I have with Powerlogix's upgrade is that they replace the larger "heat-pipe" heatsink that comes stock with the Pismo with a small crappy little copper one. The Daystar G4 upgraded, however, includes an improved "heat-pipe" heatsink and heat sink cage. The Daystar G4 upgrade goes the extra mile here, it is clearly a well engineered upgrade.

But performance wise, I just don't know if a 550mhz G4 utilizing an external 1Mb L2 cache running @ 200mhz can compete with a 1ghz G3 with 1mb of 1:1 on-chip L2 Cache (1ghz). You may not notice a difference overclocking your L2 cache 50mhz, but the performance benefits of a large L2 cache running at 1ghz should help dramatically with the bottleneck of the 100mhz FSB in the Pismo's. With VirtualPC, for instance, translation of CISC to RISC on-the-fly is heavily dependent on L2 cache speed & size. These sought of situations, Altivec cannot make up for. That's what good about the G3, everything benefits from its raw speed and large fast L2 cache.

It's a shame Daystar aren't looking into 750GX upgrades for Lombards & Pismo's, they'd do a much better job than Powerlogix at it

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
As much as I love my Pismo, it's hard to justify spending $400 on a G3 upgrade when you can get a refurb G4 iBook for $750 (and then turn around and sell your Pismo for $400 - $500).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.