Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I just bought a new imac and a 1tb time capsule. Will I get faster dl speeds with an ethernet cable plugged into the back of the imac from the time capsule or over wifi.

Thanks

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Ethernet will be faster. One less relay point for the connection. The less relay points, the faster the speed. Also, longer the ethernet, slower the connection (ever so slightly). Use the shortest E-Cable you can to get the job done.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you're using 300Mbps WiFi, then this might be faster than 100Mbps ethernet.

A new iMac and a new Time Capsule should both have gigabit ethernet, so that should be much faster than 11n.

The advantage of ethernet, other than speed, is the consistency of the connection. Fewer dropouts and such.

But for d/l'ing stuff, it's likely that the speed difference btwn wired/wireless is negligible.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
using a cable is usually trouble free. no worry about bad signals loosing the connection your always connected. your backups will b far faster too. the length of the cable is not a real issue as long as you don't exceed the max length something 300 meters or so.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
You won't get faster download speeds from the internet with wired because wireless N is already faster than most internet providers.

Wired will help like previous people said with transferring files to the time capsule.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
You won't get faster download speeds from the internet with wired because wireless N is already faster than most internet providers.

Wired will help like previous people said with transferring files to the time capsule.
Yep. I switched from a b/g Belkin to an n Time Capsule, and my speed stayed exactly the same. That's because I only pay for 10 Mbps from my cable company; I'm not willing to pay $15/month more for 20 Mbps, which is their max residential rate.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yep. I switched from a b/g Belkin to an n Time Capsule, and my speed stayed exactly the same. That's because I only pay for 10 Mbps from my cable company; I'm not willing to pay $15/month more for 20 Mbps, which is their max residential rate.

U wont see any difference when you use the internet, but when you move files around your computers in your LAN, then you can feel it with N.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Definitely go wired if you have the choice. You won't have to worry at all about people sniffing packets out of your wireless network.

dennisjoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
Virginia
Which is faster? Ethernet cable or wifi?

hello...:eek:
In my point of view Wi-Fi is more faster than Ethernet. Wi-Fi can be connected through Ethernet.But it is not always necessary some time it depends on the network, if your Ethernet connection cable is good quality than it may be faster than Wi-Fi.

TExES exam

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Really though, if you have the option to go wired you should do it. Wireless is just another hoop your network has to jump through, another step that can get bogged down or go wrong. Your wireless is not going to be any faster than your router can push it up into the air, and your router is connected via the same Ethernet connection as your Mac would be, so your wireless can never be faster than a hard line into your computer.

Additionally... why worry about wireless security if you don't have to? Why push your personal data up into the air if you don't need to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.