Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
no one is going to comment on that horrid voice over on the video??

Some of the highlights...

“watch as the thieves show skilled practice at bringing down that plate glass door”

Skilled practice? They threw a FREAKING ROCK THRU IT!! this is now a skilled practice? (that’s an Olympic event right? The 1 yard glass breaking competition)

“And savy enough to wear masks, knowing there were security cameras”

Damn, those guys are SAVY! Security cameras have only been around for like 30 years now. They must have planned ahead.. I would have never thought that a high end retail store would have a security camera.

and isnt covering your face in the burglary 101 handbook??

Thank you, This is the problem with the media now. It's almost comical. I've seen scenes in movies that were more convincing. New Jersey sucks anyways.

Why did Apple put a store in Jersey, Their too stoopid, that and their all too busy trying to find RAM for their Tandy's.

Honestly, I think Apple should be proud of that footage... thier stock value rose with every over-dramatized second that passed.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
It is kinda weird because I am proud that they were smart enough to steal from somewhere that is going to yield such a high monetary return! (rather than robbing the 7/11 for the $25 dollars in the drawer)

But other than that... Shame on them!!

Kinda weird doesn't even come close to describing your pride. At least we can hope that the perps will be locked up and taken out of the gene pool for awhile.

I didn't see them cutting security cables, what happened to those?

Inside job? Deliberately left unsecured?

Arjy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
im really surprised they dont have security cables on any of those

I live in the boston area and we have 6 apple stores within an hours drive radius and ALL of the stores have security cables on everything, i figured it was a nation wide apple store policy

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
no one is going to comment on that horrid voice over on the video??

Some of the highlights...

“watch as the thieves show skilled practice at bringing down that plate glass door”

Skilled practice? They threw a FREAKING ROCK THRU IT!! this is now a skilled practice? (that’s an Olympic event right? The 1 yard glass breaking competition)

“And savy enough to wear masks, knowing there were security cameras”

Damn, those guys are SAVY! Security cameras have only been around for like 30 years now. They must have planned ahead.. I would have never thought that a high end retail store would have a security camera.

and isnt covering your face in the burglary 101 handbook??

Wondered if someone else had noticed this.

Give me the BBC news, any day! At least they don't try to make incidents like this sound like one of those "The Ten Most Shocking Cop Car Chase Burglary Great American Videos you will EVER See!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or something like that...

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
Resell south of the border, or in Europe, or to China.

Even so, AT&T or Apple can block the IMEI numbers - making the phones eternally useless. Even the world's greatest jailbreaker would have trouble activating them.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It'd be great if the Apple Store installed Undercover on the Macs to get video and location of the guys when/if they turn them on :)

te9055

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
All it takes (for the computers at least) is a fresh install of OS X, and they won't be phoning home. If they have any brains, they won't let them connect to the internet until they reinstall OS X.

The phones are a different story though. Apple will find those the second they connect to AT&T's network. AT&T surely will track them for Apple.

Don

Surely apple has a firmware password on those things.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Why did Apple put a store in Jersey

Perhaps because NJ is the second richest state in the country? Last I checked we were within striking distance of toppling Connecticut as the richest state. Couple that with the fact that NJ is the most densely populated state in the US, which gave Apple the no-brainer of putting 11 Apple stores in NJ.

Their too stoopid, that and their all too busy trying to find RAM for their Tandy's.

Indeed. At least many of us in NJ know the difference between there/their/they're.

Edit: Actually Maryland is the richest state by income in the US as of 2007. NJ is still #2, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_the_United_States_of_America_by_income

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I really wonder what Apple can do to try to recover these computers. To be honest, while I'd be happy for them to recover the computers through some SN identification or something, I'd be pretty disappointed if they could get the computers themselves and don't offer any help to regular Apple owners who have their computers stolen. I had a first gen Intel iMac ripped off back in 2007 (about a week after i had first learned about Undercover) and no body was able to do anything to help me out. As many, I had naively assumed that having purchased AppleCare, I was somehow protected against theft, but quickly learned otherwise. If Apple pulls some tricks to get these back, i'd be wondering why they couldn't do the same for their customers. Maybe it would just take a lot of manpower and the sheer volume at stake here makes the difference.

Those saying things like the guard should have shot at them, or that the guard should be held responsible are ridiculous. First of all, would you take on 5 guys storming into a store with such confidence and speed? Secondly, robbing electronics does not merit a death sentence! By all means, catch them, send them to jail, but shooting them is totally over the top.

If you ask me, i don't think Apple would like to ruin their beautiful store with metal barricades at night, but maybe something hidden at the top that could be unfurled and locked in place once there is a break in. That said, that could lead to a scary situation where burglers might act irrationally and either start a hostage situation or just start trashing the store cause they realize they're about to be caught (if they were thinking, they'd try to minimize their punishment by just sitting down and waiting it out).

Sensationalist news caster is indeed a chump.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
a few thoughts:

1. losers

2. they'll get caught. how anyone can sell that many apple items will surely be noticed and even if they take their time selling the units... Also, how can they hide that many items?

3. can't blame the security guard 6 vs 1? this was well timed and planned. I'd be checking out the security cameras for as far back b/c i guarantee those guys visited the store during the day at some point and probably did a few times.

4. i think Apple will be sending out a notice to have all laptops securely fastened in every store.

Hammy :)

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Leeds, England
:eek:

Not cool.

They will surely get caught, you cant just steal that many apple products, at the price they are, and get away.

And the security guard seriously had no choice, 6 v 1 isnt great

GuardBoy98

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
Someone said this is Apple's own fault for not having better security? Where do you live? They said this was a high end mall. The mall probably has rules against big ugly metal gates in front of the doors, but if they don't, Apple doesn't want those gates because it gives the impression that the store is not in a safe area. Rich white folks don't want to shop in stores that require metal gates. Just like they don't want to live in an apartment with bars on the windows. Yes, the bars protect your home, but it would feel nicer to live in an apartment that doesn't *need* bars on the window.

And an armed guard? At a retail store? Just having a person in the store is typically enough to scare off would-be robbers. These kids were well organized and ballsy as crap. Sure, an armed guard could be more intimidating, but what's he gonna do with a gun? SHOOT someone for robbing a store? Are you kidding me? The police don't SHOOT robbery suspects. It's not a crime punishable by death. If anything, the robbers would shoot the guard. He was outnumbered!

If these kids are professionals, or working for one, there's just about no chance they'll be caught by serial number, back to my mac, or find my iPhone. That merchandise is not for their personal use - they'll get rid of it as quickly as possible. When cars are stolen, they are stripped of their parts immediately - professional car thieves don't cruise around in stolen vehicles. I don't think you'll see any of these kids hanging out a Starbucks writing novels on one of these Macbooks.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
WOW! Look at the Stuff these Guys Stole!

A couple of dudes in New Jersey robbed an Apple Store. They got away with 46 items -- in 31 seconds!

Here's the link.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
yeah, saw that earlier this AM in another thread - eBay will be flooded with hot goodies.

i wonder if you got sold one, activated it and everything - would you / could you be held responsible? :confused:

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
It’s obvious by these comments how young and naive you guys really are. Have the guard shoot them? Dust for prints? 1000s in any retail store. You have been watching too much TV.

Reality check. The Apple Store has insurance. Clean up the glass, put out new merchandise, file a claim, get reimbursed, make a new security plan, and life goes on.

The police will take the report, give an interview to the news station, file away the serial numbers in case a computer turns up, and eat a donut.

The only chance that these thieves will be caught is one of them brags to his friends and someone turns him in.

I would have a good laugh though if the guys stopped at a gas station with a drive off camera and an alert clerk saw them in the same clothing. Then, maybe the police will find them by the fake spoiler screwed on the Civic’s trunk. (If the camera was working…if they remember to save the video…)

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Perhaps because NJ is the second richest state in the country? Last I checked we were within striking distance of toppling Connecticut as the richest state. Couple that with the fact that NJ is the most densely populated state in the US, which gave Apple the no-brainer of putting 11 Apple stores in NJ.

Indeed. At least many of us in NJ know the difference between there/their/they're.

Edit: Actually Maryland is the richest state by income in the US as of 2007. NJ is still #2, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_the_United_States_of_America_by_income

I hope you took this as a joke. I was being facecious. I'm from New England, We all like to bust on New Jersey, because it smells.

Okay, seriously, the joke about stupidity was directed toward the theives... the fact that they found value in something different than say a bank or a jewelry store. That and you just don't hear about that type of crime anymore, especially in Jersey!

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
To be honest, this is Apples fault for having such poor security.

1 unarmed guard? What the hell is he going to do! Beg them not to rob the store?

It's Apples stupid fault for:

1 - Poor physical security (1 unarmed guard)
2 - Big glass doors/windows that are not locked down at night
3 - Leaving everything out on display
4 - Not even using a kensington lock on the laptops

TBH, they deserved to get robbed again, if they cant be bothered to do a few simple things to prevent it happening, its their own fault.

1 - Those guards are there for deterrence, not to act like LAPD. They get paid $9/hr, a lot of them are just people who HAVE to work or are in college, and they're not trained to act like cops. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put my ass on the line for $9/hr, and I know how to fight. And if I had a gun and shot it, imagine if one of those thiefs was a minor. Imagine if those thiefs were bluffing and were really unarmed but got shot to death anyway. That be some great PR for Apple

3 - This is normal in every store

chuckzee

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Yugoslavia
All it takes (for the computers at least) is a fresh install of OS X, and they won't be phoning home. If they have any brains, they won't let them connect to the internet until they reinstall OS X.

The phones are a different story though. Apple will find those the second they connect to AT&T's network. AT&T surely will track them for Apple.

Don

Those phones are going overseas.

Besides since no one got hurt, in the grand scheme of things, do you really think Apple and local law enforcement really gives a crap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.