Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
To those who criticize apple for not moving merch. into the back after closing, you have obviously never worked in a mall/retail before. Nobody does that. However, most stores inside malls have rolling steel gates. At least mine does.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
That sucks, but what really surprises me is that the security guard is not doing his job! I would have at least run after the guys after calling for backup. Knowing what car they get in can get you to them (unless it has no plates).

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Ya that might be a good policy for Apple to mandate locks on all the computers at the Apple Stores! ;)

P.S. Did it bug anyone else that the reporters said over and over "Apple COMPUTER store"? Apple took computer out of their name a long time ago! :rolleyes:

the reporter is a tool. he also commented on how precise and amazing the robbers skills were in breaking the glass door with a rock... :rolleyes:

iflippers

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Wow...

They stole all those things, think of all those chargers for the iPods and iPhones plus all those charging bricks for the laptops. Would be pretty funny if MobileMe was installed on it.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Wow, a bunch of minorities robbing a place, I never seen that before. They will be caught and they deserve to be locked up.

On that note, Apple should consider locking up their display units in a big safe or something secure enough when they close at night, and the next morning they could bring the stuff back out onto the floor.

Nadav

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Am i the only one who thought it was funny that the security guard came in right after all of them ran out? Apple should really have a better security system...

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
They certainly knew what they were doing. Probably had it rehearsed way before hand.

Too bad they cant apply that ingenuity and organization to say city planning or business management. Wasted youth. Shame.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Wow. Is this world filled with THAT many degenerates? This is just sad.
Yes. And then some. Low lifes that believe "the man" or "society" or <insert lame excuse> is trying to keep them down, so they feel "entitled" to steal and rob from others.

These are the kinds of people that just really need to get the **** beat out of them. Broken bones and whatnot. That's the only way they'll learn their lesson. These same people are going to break into someone's home next week and steal their plasma TV. And if they really do have guns like the article suggests, they'll possibly shoot the homeowners dead. Maybe the home will be yours or mine? This is exactly why gun-control doesn't work: cause the criminals will still have them, but the now-defenseless law abiding victims will not.

K12MacTech

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
Raw footage

Here is raw footage from two of the cameras, provided by a different Philly news outlet. Not sure why they are reporting that there was a 'gesture' towards the guard, because he is nowhere to be seen in these clips, other than over an hour prior to the robbery, and then over a minute after they left.

Part one is here: http://cbs3.com/video/?id=86889@kyw.dayport.com, and shows the front of the store:

Part two is here: http://cbs3.com/video/?id=86890@kyw.dayport.com, shows the back of the store, the guard walking around about 12:45, then the break in, then the guard comes running in much later looking like he is surprised to see the state of the store.

As far as the reporter, that is why I don't watch that channel for local news. Each broadcast begins with "the BIG story" which is always something sensational - a murder, fire, etc. The other Philly stations aren't much better, but not this bad. Plus it is a ratings sweeps month.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
That sucks, but what really surprises me is that the security guard is not doing his job! I would have at least run after the guys after calling for backup. Knowing what car they get in can get you to them (unless it has no plates).

The guard is probably making around $10/hr. Would YOU chase down potentially armed thugs for $10/hr? I wouldn't.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

Backup? he isn't a cop, and he is not armed.

The guard is probably making around $10/hr. Would YOU chase down potentially armed thugs for $10/hr? I wouldn't.

Nope, it is not worth it.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

Especially since im sure the merch is insured.
That, and its probably policy for him to not do anything other than call the real cops. If he gets hurt, the have to pay his medical bills.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Imagine if those thiefs were bluffing and were really unarmed but got shot to death anyway. That be some great PR for Apple

No one said you have to kill them. A bullet in the kneecaps will deter most thieves trying to make off with your merchandise.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Give the security guy a taser, by all means, but shoot a guy dead for pinching a few computers..? :eek: Perspective, please...

You make it sound like a punishment. Nobody is advocating the death penalty after the fact, but to prevent the theft in the first place? I'm 100% for that.

And if you are a armed security guard you are not to use your weapon unless your life is in eminent danger. As his was clearly not, if he would have been armed and shot them, he would be arrested for murder. All though I do not agree with this, it is the law.

Sadly, this is true. I laughed out loud the first time I learned this in law school because I couldn't believe the law could be so patently absurd, but it is. :rolleyes:

Switched2aMac

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Dont understand

It’s obvious by these comments how young and naive you guys really are. Have the guard shoot them? Dust for prints? 1000s in any retail store. You have been watching too much TV.

Reality check. The Apple Store has insurance. Clean up the glass, put out new merchandise, file a claim, get reimbursed, make a new security plan, and life goes on.

The police will take the report, give an interview to the news station, file away the serial numbers in case a computer turns up, and eat a donut.

The only chance that these thieves will be caught is one of them brags to his friends and someone turns him in.

I would have a good laugh though if the guys stopped at a gas station with a drive off camera and an alert clerk saw them in the same clothing. Then, maybe the police will find them by the fake spoiler screwed on the Civic’s trunk. (If the camera was working…if they remember to save the video…)

Not sure what eating a donut has to do w/ catching crooks? You do realize that not all cops eat donuts, me included.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Why couldn't Apple solve this problem with the use of some cool technology - motion sensors that activate a fast dropping steel door to trap anyone that enters the store after hours or something like that?

Shouldn't be too hard to implement - motion sensors already exist, motorized doors are old and 31 seconds is enough time to shut the steel door and trap the idiots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.