Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxreality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Hello All,

A friend of mine dropped his Powerbook G4 a few days ago. When he tried to turn it on he got the message indicating he must restart his computer. I found out this is a kernel panic message. The drive didn't sound good so I swapped it out with a WD Scorpio 160GB drive. I put the Tiger CD in and the computer recognized the new harddrive and I installed it. After rebooting the message came, yet again.

I'm able to boot the computer in safe mode but not in regular. I've tried new ram simms with no success.

Can anyone offer any other advise? I booted the computer into single user mode (command prompt) and tried fsck which came back with no errors.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
:)

DesignerPro27

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Hello All,

A friend of mine dropped his Powerbook G4 a few days ago. When he tried to turn it on he got the message indicating he must restart his computer. I found out this is a kernel panic message. The drive didn't sound good so I swapped it out with a WD Scorpio 160GB drive. I put the Tiger CD in and the computer recognized the new harddrive and I installed it. After rebooting the message came, yet again.

I'm able to boot the computer in safe mode but not in regular. I've tried new ram simms with no success.

Can anyone offer any other advise? I booted the computer into single user mode (command prompt) and tried fsck which came back with no errors.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
:)

Try looking in the System Profiler and see if the Airport Card shows as working. Sometimes it can be dislodged and cause the problem you are describing. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.