Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catonow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
USA
The new radio feature (esp. the pause button) on the new iPod Nano got me really excited.

(I've always wondered why nobody seems to have produced a DAR [DVR or TiVo for radio] for the car -- please correct me if I'm wrong! One where you can record programs ahead of time, and listen to them at your leisure [and fast-forward through commercials, etc.] You'd think it'd be a lot easier -- and cheaper -- to make, compared to a video recorder. But I digress....)

I don't understand why Apple restricted the new Nanopod radio to just FM. AM radio has a lot more talk stations (NPR, etc.). Who hasn't been listening to a great discussion while driving and regretted having to leave it behind while running into the store or whatever other errands you're on?

Sure, the same can happen with a great song on FM. But it's a lot easier to get a song later (either from your existing library or by downloading it from iTunes). A topical discussion is much harder to recapture.

The ability to pause and return to AM radio programming would be awesome. Please, Apple (or somebody else?), consider bringing this feature to AM radio!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
NPR is an FM station where I am, as it's also a classical music station.

AM reception usually uses a ferrite bar antanne, maybe they couldn't fit something that thick into the Nano's case.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I'd assume its a combination of iPods being geared towards music (FM is the music one, everyone knows that), and Apples obsession with thin as a razorblade gadgets. Its amazing they crammed a FM receiver in there. Adding an AM too would just be impossible

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Some parts of the world don't seem to have AM radio. I remember buying a radio for a summer house in Sweden as a child, and it was quite a fancy german model of some sort, and it only had FM, and I think someone told me they only had FM stations there. So, it could partially be because the iPods are sold internationally. I think it's the same for the Zune.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
HAHAHAHAHA, you're kidding, right? Right? :eek:

That's one hell of a helpful post you got there :rolleyes:

To the original poster, the lack of AM reception has been an annoyance for me with all the mp3 players that have come out (Apple and others). I listen to a lot of AM talk radio stations and it would be great if I could do it on the go through my iPod. My feeling is that it's most likely an antenna problem as has been mentioned.

Catonow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
USA
NPR is an FM station where I am, as it's also a classical music station.

AM reception usually uses a ferrite bar antanne, maybe they couldn't fit something that thick into the Nano's case.

1. Sorry, I meant to cite Air America as an example.

2. Didn't realize that AM radio antennae were so bulky.

I still think it would be a good idea. Is anybody aware of any DAR alternatives?

Catonow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
USA
Doesn't Air America have their stuff available as podcasts?

That was just one example. There are thousands of AM stations with millions of listeners in markets across the country. And speaking of international audiences, most foreign-language radio in America (e.g., Spanish) is found on AM.

redknives

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Seattle, WA USA
The antenna is the problem. Most mini AM radios use the headphone cord as the antenna - C.Crane has a Sangean AM/FM mini radio that looks like the 2G Black Nano.
I'd love AM for sports radio but I am happy with podcasts (I don't remember what I listened to before podcasts).

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Does the HD radio tuner not pick up BOTH FM and AM stations on one antenna? Not sure why apple wouldn't just add an HD tuner. I suppose costs. Anyhow, I thought the headphone cord acted as the antenna.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Is Air America still in business? I would think you guys and the other 5 listeners could get together and come up with a solution. lol :)

I agree with the original poster. I'm not only surprised that there's no AM on the iPod, but I'm surprised more car stereos don't have the DAV feature. I can't stand when I'm listening to good talk radio and I have to take a call or something.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I'd LOVE to be able to listen to Coast To Coast AM on my nano!!
Dont care for AOL radio on the iPhone to much, she gets pretty hot and I fall asleep with it on a lot of the time.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
FM stations around here have are woefully lacking in the news department. They have virtually no traffic info in the rush hour, and no emergency weather notifications for tornado/thunderstorm.

I'm in a smaller market, and many music stations are robo-stations without a DJ.

AM seems to do a much better job. Once I am out of my car, it would be nice to have a choice to tune into local news stations on AM.

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
FM stations around here have are woefully lacking in the news department. They have virtually no traffic info in the rush hour, and no emergency weather notifications for tornado/thunderstorm.

I'm in a smaller market, and many music stations are robo-stations without a DJ.

AM seems to do a much better job. Once I am out of my car, it would be nice to have a choice to tune into local news stations on AM.

I agree with you 100%. I listen to my iPhone in my car for music and AM for news. The DJ's don't even bother to tell you the song...which is why I love Shazam.

Lukeyboy01

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I'd assume its a combination of iPods being geared towards music (FM is the music one, everyone knows that), and Apples obsession with thin as a razorblade gadgets. Its amazing they crammed a FM receiver in there. Adding an AM too would just be impossible

THEY DIDNT ITS INN THE EARPHONES SORRY FOR CAPS

AAMedia

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Is Air America still in business? I would think you guys and the other 5 listeners could get together and come up with a solution. lol :)

I am a representative from Air America and yes, Air America is still around and actually launching a brand new website in two weeks. Earlier this summer, it also took ownership of the 1050 AM station in Washington, DC.

A few free podcasts are available on iTunes and there is an iPhone application as well. But in order to hear full shows or archive you have to subscribe to OnDemand content -

http://airamerica.com/ondemand

You can also listen live to the shows here:

http://www.airamerica.com/listen

Hope this helps answer a few questions....

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
New features creates new buyers.

Next September they will have AM & FM.

I don't think so. Mainly because, as other posters have pointed out, this addition would be USELESS for many of the international iPod users.

But, hey. Crazy speculative predictions is what this site is all about. So go nuts with that AM radio talk.:D

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Caps forgiven, Lukeyboy01, as you are at least partially correct. Apple uses the headphone cord as the FM antenna in the new nano. There wasn't enough room to make the FM antenna internal, as iFixit's nano disassembly shows; space was very tight indeed.

The two public radio stations (NPR and one other) here in Louisville are FM as well.

AM would have been nice, especially for fans of talk radio, gospel and Latino listeners. There's always the next gen, though...

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Does the HD radio tuner not pick up BOTH FM and AM stations on one antenna? Not sure why apple wouldn't just add an HD tuner. I suppose costs. Anyhow, I thought the headphone cord acted as the antenna.

I know the Zune HD has HD radio(and RDS support that shows what is now being played), so I doubt it cost. Plus, I am pretty sure that on Zune HD there is no AM radio, or else there would be a mention of it. Plus as stated AM radio antenna is to large for the Nano and most mp3/media player devices.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
AM antennas are usually large wire loops, the ones that come with all our AM-capable radios are about 6 to 7 inches in diameter. Not gonna fit in a nano...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.