Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
I have to machines - one mac (mine) one vista (mothers)

I have authorized both machines with my account

Both are set to share entire library - and look for other libraries

and both have been activated with home sharing

---WHAT AM I MISSING?

Anyone got this to work??

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I'm experiencing a little difficulty too.

I've activated my two macs. I can see my MacBook's library on the Mac mini but I can't see the Mac mini on the MacBook.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
I'm having different issues.

Installed iTunes 9 and activated Home Sharing on my iMac fine.

I'm on my third install of iTunes 9 on my MacBook Pro.

On installing iTunes I am getting an error:

System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/cnql1212_ClassicNotSeize.ktext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

May be a Time Machine restore and try again.

It then says the installation was successful but when I run iTunes, Home Sharing doesn't display in the sidebar. Turning it off then on again makes it appear but when I activate it, it then disappears!

Also had the following error:

"home sharing could not be activated because an error occurred (-3150)"

Hmmmm

- D

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I don't know if this will work for you guys since we experienced different problems but a computer restart solved my issues. Both computers are able to see each other now.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
I don't know if this will work for you guys since we experienced different problems but a computer restart solved my issues. Both computers are able to see each other now.

Yeh I tried that ... just going through repairing disk permissions, then a restart and if necessary, a reinstall.

Found similar problems on the Apple Support Forum like mine here.

vincentchan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
I've deactivated und activated Home-Sharing function several times... but still, the icon doesn't appear except when I have to type in my password and so on. How am I supposed to use this function if I can't even click on it?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Does Home Sharing not allow you to copy playlists from one computer to another? I can't find a way to do it. That would be a bummer since I have tons of playlists.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Yeh I tried that ... just going through repairing disk permissions, then a restart and if necessary, a reinstall.

Found similar problems on the Apple Support Forum like mine here.

I feel so stupid!

The reason mine wasn't working is I didn't have the other iMac turned on!

As soon as I turned it on it appeared in iTunes on my MacBook Pro!

Learn from my stupidity people!!

- D

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
I feel so stupid!

The reason mine wasn't working is I didn't have the other iMac turned on!

As soon as I turned it on it appeared in iTunes on my MacBook Pro!

Learn from my stupidity people!!

- D

I wish my problem was that easy.

Whatever happened to turning it off and turning it back on fixes everything...I miss windows 98 :eek:

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
I wish my problem was that easy.

Whatever happened to turning it off and turning it back on fixes everything...I miss windows 98 :eek:

Haha, now you don't really, do you!?

Could it be related to Windows Firewall? Have you tried turning that off? Not sure what port iTunes could be using but that could be something to look at. Might be worth looking at this Apple KB article

I assume the two computers are in the same house?

Just a thought?

- D

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Haha, now you don't really, do you!?

Could it be related to Windows Firewall? Have you tried turning that off? Not sure what port iTunes could be using but that could be something to look at. Might be worth looking at this Apple KB article

I assume the two computers are in the same house?

Just a thought?

- D

of course i don't really mean that! 90s were good for some things - but definitely not computers.

before itunes 9 we could easily use the share feature where we just streamed music over the wi-fi....and yes we are in the same house (i expect good things from apple - not miracles....yet :) :apple: )

thanks for the link, i'll check it out

accinfo

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Home Sharing a Playlist

Does Home Sharing not allow you to copy playlists from one computer to another? I can't find a way to do it. That would be a bummer since I have tons of playlists.

Same question as above? Anyone figure out this?

tehFish

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
This is killing me as well. I have both my PC's on and restarted but neither my desktop or laptop could see each other.

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Restart and disabling my firewall made my work

good luck trying to get yours working.....this should of been so much simpler!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.