Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
ok, so there is so much information here that trying to search through it all seems too daunting. since it is a question about F@H, though, i think no one will be upset about answering something that can be found elsewhere ;)

so here's the deal...

i'm looking for either one of the graphical or screen saver based clients that will take advantage of a DP g4. i have seen things for the terminal/scrren saver/graphical, things for g4s, and things for DPs, but i am having a hard time figuring out which do all the things i am looking for.

come up with the best folding client for me, and consider the WUs yours.

thanks

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Well, you say you have a dual G4. If you want to use both procs for FAH, there is only one option! Forget about the standard versions from Stanford, they only use one proc. The script from MC68K will use both procs, give each proc a WorkUnit (WU) to do. in FAH FAQ there is a link to the script, or you could click here.

The script is very easy to set up and is a no nonsense console version which uses the Terminal. The commands are easy and everything you need to know is in the Read me which goes with it! Goodluck with folding!

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows).

First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH3Console executable file into each.

Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 4).

The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3 and 4.

Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows. Instances should be attached to different processors, using whatever mechanism your OS provides for this purpose (e.g. Task Manager on Windows).

so, if you want to take advantage of a dual processor, one of the versions needs to be the console version. The console version is very easy to run, and I can walk you through setting it up if you wish.

All versions of the client can be downloaded here.

There is also a set of scripts, provided by mac68k. The scripts can install F@H for a dual or single processor machine with very little configuration.

The scripts can be found here.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Dreadnought said:
Well, you say you have a dual G4. If you want to use both procs for FAH, there is only one option! Forget about the standard versions from Stanford, they only use one proc. The script from MC68K will use both procs, give each proc a WorkUnit (WU) to do. in FAH FAQ there is a link to the script, or you could click here.

The script is very easy to set up and is a no nonsense console version which uses the Terminal. The commands are easy and everything you need to know is in the Read me which goes with it! Goodluck with folding!

Ah, beat me to it....

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
ok, so i tried the install script for the DPs (even though i really wanted to be able to see all the pretty folding), and it seems not to have worked. i tried both having a name and being anonymous, no proxy, no changing advanced options, don't ask before sending/receiving, etc...

any ideas what could go wrong while trying to install?

bhertz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
Are you sure it did not work? You will not see anything change if it is installed.

type 'top' into the terminal

This will give the percentage of the processors power used by applications on your machine. If their is a listing for 'fah' or something like that using large amounts of the processor then it is working. hit 'q' to exit.

You can also type in 'work' in the terminal to see the % of the work units done. (you should see one for each processor)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
bhertz said:
Are you sure it did not work? You will not see anything change if it is installed.

type 'top' into the terminal

This will give the percentage of the processors power used by applications on your machine. If their is a listing for 'fah' or something like that using large amounts of the processor then it is working. hit 'q' to exit.

You can also type in 'work' in the terminal to see the % of the work units done. (you should see one for each processor)

i did that, and there was nothing. (also, i have menu meters running, so i could see that the procs were not really being used). then randomly like 10 mins later, it seems to have kicked in. i think it is set up as "anonymous," but i am now contributing to team MR. ~14% done with each of my first two units.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Install it again and give yourself a name. That's so much more fun. Then you have a bit of a game element in it. You can check your own stats, the people you will be overtaking, or are going to overtake you, etc.
For instance, here is a stats page of our team.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Dreadnought said:
Install it again and give yourself a name. That's so much more fun. Then you have a bit of a game element in it. You can check your own stats, the people you will be overtaking, or are going to overtake you, etc.
For instance, here is a stats page of our team.

No he is good now.

It took some time to download the core and WU files.

So yeah.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
ok, so it has been 24 hours since i began folding (with a little downtime because i needed to restart after installing some things), and i have gotten through about 98% of each of two 500,000 step WUs. i think after these two finish, i am going to start over so i can have a name, but it should not take long to get up and running again.

a few questions, though...

how does the size of these WUs stack up to typical ones?
am i working through them decently fast?
how can you tell how much a WU is worth?
when i restart, do i have to use the rid command from mc68k's script, or can i just run it again over the current install?

thanks!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
how does the size of these WUs stack up to typical ones?
These are the big ones...

am i working through them decently fast?
Yes! (aren't they 400.000 steps at the most?!?!)

how can you tell how much a WU is worth?
go here:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

when i restart, do i have to use the rid command from mc68k's script, or can i just run it again over the current install?
First do the rid and then install again. Then you know for sure that the old stuff is gone.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
baby duck monge said:

thanks!

Running the "rid" command is the same as an uninstall, so there's not a whole lot to be gained there. Besides, then you have to set everything up again. A simple restart of the computer requires no action on your part with respect to folding... the program is shut down normally and will resume all by itself (assuming you did your install using mc68k's scripts). It even picks up pretty much where it left off so you don't lose too much work.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
jbeetz said:
Running the "rid" command is the same as an uninstall, so there's not a whole lot to be gained there. Besides, then you have to set everything up again. A simple restart of the computer requires no action on your part with respect to folding... the program is shut down normally and will resume all by itself (assuming you did your install using mc68k's scripts). It even picks up pretty much where it left off so you don't lose too much work.

Yes, and that was the idea. He was folding under "anonymous" and wanted his own name. Therefore you have to uninstall the script first and then install it again. I haven't found a way to alter my settings with mc68k's script.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Dreadnought said:
Yes, and that was the idea. He was folding under "anonymous" and wanted his own name. Therefore you have to uninstall the script first and then install it again. I haven't found a way to alter my settings with mc68k's script.

Try this:
First, shutdown the existing processes by typing "stop"
then naviguess to the F@H folder via terminal (it's in your library folder), and then type ./fah4 -local -configonly

the program will take you step by step through all the settings including username and team. If you're running a single proc system, you don't need the -local but if you're running a dual and forget the -local.... not advised.

then, restart folding by typing "start"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.