Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
On my mac mouse i can use the small thing on top of the mouse (i am sure it has a better name) to scroll upward on web sites and documents but I cannot scroll downward.
How can I fix it so it can scroll downward? My OS is Leopard on a Mac Pro.

Thanks for looking.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
On my mac mouse i can use the small thing on top of the mouse (i am sure it has a better name) to scroll upward on web sites and documents but I cannot scroll downward.
How can I fix it so it can scroll downward? My OS is Leopard on a Mac Pro.

Thanks for looking.

If the problem comes and go, then it is a sign of hardware failure.
Bring it to an apple store along with your receipt to get a free replacement.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
The same thing happened on the mouse of my Mac Pro. I went to the Apple store and the girl there just rubbed it down with rubbing alcohol on and around the scroll wheel, which fixed the problem. Dirt and skin oil get in there and gum it all up.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks Valdore.

I just sprayed some 409 at it and I am scrolling all over again. Yeah!

John

jessica121

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
mac mouse cannot scroll up/down ? try this

wet a piece of tissue paper and wipe it around the scrolling wheel as your wiping it, move it 360 degree so it cleans the whole wheel.

it should work after like 5 wipes..

hope this helps

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Yeah this is going to be an ongoing thing though. I had to pick up a different mouse to go with my iMac. Not just because of the scroll wheel, mind you, but the issue didn't help. I use it for work, so I couldn't stand fussing with it.

rbgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
fix for non-scrolling mouse

My wireless mouse had same problem. Just pick up mouse, press down both buttons, turn it upside down while holding buttons and move the ball. This fix (found it on another forum) fixed my mouse.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
this thread has been started about 100 times on MR, and is all over google

the Mighty Mouse has a design flaw, it is the scroll wheel + little tiny parts getting clogged, thus disabling scrolling.

clean it, upside down and you don't have a problem.

when you do, upgrade to a Logitech MX Revolution like i did - for 45$ on eBay it was probably one of the best purchases i have made

rharvey49

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I recently experienced the same problem with my USB button mouse. I took the mouse to the office and tested it on my office IMac and it had the same problem there. The office IMac's mouse worked just fine. I assume it is a failure of the mouse and not software.

pstonebridge

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Mouse will not scroll down

This is not a problem with your mouse. Do not try taking it apart to clean it.

I have suddenly experienced the same problem on 3 different iMac computers (all with the Mighty Mouse installed) after upgrading my software to the latest security and MacOSX updates. Another computer (with a Magic Mouse connected via bluetooth) seems to have no problem after installing the latest software updates.

I think it would be a little too coincidental that all my "mice" suddenly need cleaning at the same time. I'm pretty sure this is a software bug. Let's only hope that Apple give it a high priority and fix it soon because it is really annoying. (Maybe Apple are pushing us to upgrade to Magic Mice?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Just posted this. But then I tried holding the Mighty Mouse upside down and running the scroll button around on my mouse pad (after trying to clean it with a wet wipe). It now will scroll down nicely but is intermittent in scrolling up. What the *!@#? How can this stop working on 3 computers on the same day??!!?? With 3 different mice, mouses, meeses? When I get to the office tomorrow I will try the same trick on the other 2 computers. Still smells fishy to me. Maybe they changed the sensitivity settings in the mouse?

traveler501

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
My wireless mouse had same problem. Just pick up mouse, press down both buttons, turn it upside down while holding buttons and move the ball. This fix (found it on another forum) fixed my mouse.

Top marks!! You're absolutely correct...depressing both buttons is the key!

many thanks,
John

flatairbag

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the tips guys. <My mouse also stopped scroling down but worked up fine... I though I had another broken Apple part! I thought my mouse was screwed until I got a fine paint brush in there and cleaned out around the rollerball part.

Tipping upside down didnt work for me but the artists paintbrush to clean in around the rollerball part did.

Happy Chappy :)

echostorm

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Atlanta
Magic Mouse will not scroll for one account on my system...

If I am logged into my MacPro, I can scroll and swipe without any problems. My wife's login however, well thats another story. She cannot scroll or swipe at all, its really annoying. I cannot figure out whats different between our accounts. I have checked to see if anything is auto starting, nothing. I have checked in activity monitor to see if there is an unusual or hung process when she is logged in vs. when I am. Nothing. Im stumped.

paredi67

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
cleaning mouse

Thanks for the tips guys. <My mouse also stopped scroling down but worked up fine... I though I had another broken Apple part! I thought my mouse was screwed until I got a fine paint brush in there and cleaned out around the rollerball part.

Tipping upside down didnt work for me but the artists paintbrush to clean in around the rollerball part did.

Happy Chappy :)

Indeed I just cleaned the little ball and around with a few drops of window cleaner on a cotton ball. It immediately worked again!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Take a piece of white paper, and roll the mouse upside down along the ball all over the paper. The ball will be clean and you'll be able to see all your nasty dirt on the paper :D

CCJEMM

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
Top marks!! You're absolutely correct...depressing both buttons is the key!

many thanks,
John[/QUOTE

I can't believe this actually worked. This has been driving me crazy for what seems like forever. Many thanks.

----------

Last edited:

PAULBEST

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
scroll up and down

Thanks for all the amazing advice.
I love taking things apart but resisted the urge.
I have had my mighty mouse for 3 plus years.
Clean on a clean sheet of paper with methalated spirits poured on.
Then roll the pip on it until it starts to scroll both ways
I did this several times and cleaned the mouse all over with the same meths and a clean piece of dry paper towel. Works brilliant now.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
While all these cleaning tricks tend to work, I also just take it apart a couple times a year and really clean the insides. It's amazing how grimey it gets in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.