Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm sure this has already been posted, and I apologize if it has, but a couple of searches turned up empty.

Anyway, I just discovered this today and I'm praying this is a bug and not a "feature". When you click the pause/play button on the Apple Remote, iTunes opens and begins playing. The same thing happens when you hit the pause/play button on the media bar. I thought I was becoming dyslexic because iTunes kept playing randomly. It was only until today when I discovered this bug while playing a file in VLC. Apparently it happens with pretty much any app.

I don't know if this is thanks to Snow Leopard or iTunes 9, but it's downright stupid. Come on Apple, please fix this.:mad:

cptbigt

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Sadly, this is a new feature and works on most of the new apple keyboards - I wasn't aware of it working on the remote too. If you wish to disable it then your out of luck, unless someone knows of a way :(

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
It’s a Snow Leopard thing. In Leopard, it would happen if you weren’t already in another app that utilized the remote. Now in SL so far, even if another app is using the remote, the OS still sees it and uses it to control iTunes, Volume, and Front Row. It makes the remote unusable in other apps. Hopefully 10.6.2 fixes this bug.

springyfox

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
London
If indeed this is a feature of Snow Leopard, then unfortunately it is also present in iTunes 9. I haven't upgraded my Mac yet as I use it for business but whenever I press the Play/Pause button on the keyboard, iTunes 9 opens!

This is really frustrating as I frequently press the button to try and pause some other media player by mistake, even YouTube! Rather than stopping the video playing, iTunes opens and begins to play the first thing alphabetically in my library!

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
If indeed this is a feature of Snow Leopard, then unfortunately it is also present in iTunes 9. I haven't upgraded my Mac yet as I use it for business but whenever I press the Play/Pause button on the keyboard, iTunes 9 opens!

This is really frustrating as I frequently press the button to try and pause some other media player by mistake, even YouTube! Rather than stopping the video playing, iTunes opens and begins to play the first thing alphabetically in my library!

Well pre-Leopard, it would launch iTunes unless other software you were using supported the remote. YouTube doesn’t. But if you launch Hulu Desktop and then press the play/pause button (at least on the remote, I can’t speak for the keyboard button) it won’t launch iTunes.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I commented on this in another thread, and it unfortunately appears to be some ill-conceived "feature" of Snow Leopard. The way to get around it is to open QuickTime X, but without opening an actual movie. As long as QTX is open, you can use your remote on other apps just as you did in Leopard. This "trick" works just fine with VLC & Plex.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Apple should make these as "options" instead of "features..."

I agree, but this is the same company that in 2009 still refuses to make a mail client that uses vertical columns to take advantage of their own widescreen machines, and has removed many configurable options from QuickTime X (thus forcing people to find their own workarounds).

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I commented on this in another thread, and it unfortunately appears to be some ill-conceived "feature" of Snow Leopard. The way to get around it is to open QuickTime X, but without opening an actual movie. As long as QTX is open, you can use your remote on other apps just as you did in Leopard. This "trick" works just fine with VLC & Plex.

Your workaround is the hard way. All you have to do to get around this is make sure iTunes is opened up to the store, this way the remote can no longer cause reactions by iTunes. Just hide iTunes and you're good to go.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
It's very frustrating. I really really hope it's not a "feature". In my home, it makes the remote go from being used constantly to having little use at all. I used it with EyeTV and VLC mostly. Leaving I-Tunes open at the Store also serves as an ugly workaround.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Your workaround is the hard way. All you have to do to get around this is make sure iTunes is opened up to the store, this way the remote can no longer cause reactions by iTunes. Just hide iTunes and you're good to go.

:) How is mine harder than this? All I do is click on QuickTimeX in the Dock, and then use the remote to control other apps. One click is all it takes.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's very frustrating. I really really hope it's not a "feature". In my home, it makes the remote go from being used constantly to having little use at all. I used it with EyeTV and VLC mostly. Leaving I-Tunes open at the Store also serves as an ugly workaround.

I agree. Really, this is all I do to get around it:

1. Put QuickTime X in the dock.
2. Click on it. No QTX window opens by default, so all you see is the indicator under its icon.
3. Open VLC, EyeTV, Plex, etc. and use the remote as you did in Leopard.

3 easy steps, the first of which you only have to do once, ever.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
I agree. Really, this is all I do to get around it:

1. Put QuickTime X in the dock.
2. Click on it. No QTX window opens by default, so all you see is the indicator under its icon.
3. Open VLC, EyeTV, Plex, etc. and use the remote as you did in Leopard.

3 easy steps, the first of which you only have to do once, ever.

These workarounds only work for play/pause and the skip buttons though. The volume and menu buttons are still unusable, so you can’t use the remote with an app like Hulu Desktop.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
:) How is mine harder than this? All I do is click on QuickTimeX in the Dock, and then use the remote to control other apps. One click is all it takes.

Ha, you're right, I was reading so fast I thought your method looked complicated. Gotta slow down on my reading. :)

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
this is realllly lame... apple made a terrible decision in doing this. Hulu Desktop was so great before, and now while its still usable with the keyboard, it is a huge bummer that the simple remote which worked so perfectly now does not. Apple: please fix this asap.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
this is realllly lame... apple made a terrible decision in doing this. Hulu Desktop was so great before, and now while its still usable with the keyboard, it is a huge bummer that the simple remote which worked so perfectly now does not. Apple: please fix this asap.

Agreed. It's even more annoying that the pause/play button on the keyboard does the same thing.

troels

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you already have iTunes open, I find that the QuickTime trick does not work. Then you can do the iTunes Store trick, but if you do not want to have it load the iT store using bandwidth and memory, you can just create an empty playlist, mine is called '****', and click on that. Then the controls will be disabled without having to load more stuff (than the already open iTunes).

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
It’s a Snow Leopard thing. In Leopard, it would happen if you weren’t already in another app that utilized the remote. Now in SL so far, even if another app is using the remote, the OS still sees it and uses it to control iTunes, Volume, and Front Row. It makes the remote unusable in other apps. Hopefully 10.6.2 fixes this bug.

Gee, I cannot believe this. In my Mini, pressing play for a while opens up Front Row, but I can use the remote to control Plex freely.

Is this confirmed?

I am NOT upgrading to Snow Leopard if I can't use the remote to control Plex.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Gee, I cannot believe this. In my Mini, pressing play for a while opens up Front Row, but I can use the remote to control Plex freely.

Is this confirmed?

Yeah, it’s been really widely reported, so I’d say it’s confirmed. Technically, you can still control other apps with the remote…but it’ll also control iTunes / Front Row at the same time. Although the QT workaround sounds good for apps that basically use stuff like play/pause, maybe skip. But as for the volume buttons (if the app uses them) or the menu button, I think for now we just have to wait.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008

Is this confirmed?

Wait a second. If you use Plex with the Media Server always on supporting the Harmony remote (not the Apple remote) then Plex should be controlling all the remote keystrokes, right? It means that iTunes would never get the remote keystrokes, solving the problem...

Has anyone tested this?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.